Author Topic: Teh maths is terr'isms!  (Read 10939 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Teh maths is terr'isms!
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:07:06 PM »
a.k.a. People who can't read jump to laughably ignorant conclusion.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/05/07/flight-delayed-when-math-mistaken-for-terrorism-by-passenger.html

I think differential equations are the work of de debbil, but damn...

Math equations can be complex but are still only a collection of numbers and common symbols. If you're so dumb you confuse mathmatics with Arabic script, please, stay home. The world will not mind.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 12:00:47 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Teh maths is terr'isms!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 01:08:28 AM »
That woman needs to be billed for the cost of the delay.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:17:27 AM »
That woman needs to never again be allowed on the inside of a commercial aircraft.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 03:14:17 AM »
Idiocracy in the flesh
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 09:06:25 AM »
Arabic script, Arabic numerals ... Same difference.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:21:28 AM »
Yes, innumeracy is a bad thing.  And the large & growing proportion of Americans who are functionally innumerate is a troubling trend.

I am saddened for our nation that most can not even recognize mathematical symbols, but I am not ready to condemn her given:
1. Swarthy-looking fellow.
2. Foreign-ness of calc/diff eq.
3. Wear of keffiyeh (by swarthy-looking dude with the scary squiggly numbers in the language of math).

One of these things without the others, no big whoop.  Two of things are getting in the realm of improbable, like a swimsuit model who is also a chemistry major.  Put three together and the you're approaching zebra territory, like a swimsuit model who is also a talmudic scholar or a splodey-dope.

The photo in the article looks like the prof is wearing a keffiyeh.  If he is, well, bugger him with a pogo stick for acting all "troubled by her ignorance."  Here are some other photos of folk wearing Keffiyeh:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1002&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Keffiyeh&oq=Keffiyeh&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1823.1823.0.2024.1.1.0.0.0.0.133.133.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.1.131.PeJWePJiFAU

Yes, it has become a fashion accessory for some lefties.  But complaining about folk thinking you are a splodey-dope when you don splodey-dope-wear is as obnoxious and asinine as "urban youths" mewling about being treated like thugs when they dress like thugs.  They consciously affected the appearance of a known dangerous sort and ought to own it when folk react to them like the dangerous sort.

If it is indeed a keffiyeh and not a scarf his mom knitted for him, this is an act of trolling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 09:53:32 AM »
Actually it looks nothing like  a keffiyeh.  It looks like a wool scarf. (FTR, One of the only useful things the mid East has given us in the last 1000 years is the Shemagh, and I wear mine a lot when I have to be outside in the heat.)

That picture comes from his U Penn page, and it's clearly a scarf.  http://web-facstaff.sas.upenn.edu/~gmenzio/  I'm going to do a little ethnic profiling of my own and say that Guido Menzio is neither Muslim or Arab.  So not only is the woman stupid for not knowing math, shes an idiot for not even being able to properly recognize the people she's bigoted against.  I'd have more sympathy if she'd recognized him as an economist and didn't want him on the plane for that reason.

So no roo-ster, there's no redeeming this.  She was a bigoted idiot that cost the airline and her fellow passengers hours and thousands of dollars because the accepted the KGB's ideal of Informing even if you are uniformed.  I'm with the above posters and she should be held financially liable for making a false report with no basis in fact.  As an example to other mouth breathers.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »
Actually it looks nothing like  a keffiyeh.  It looks like a wool scarf. (FTR, One of the only useful things the mid East has given us in the last 1000 years is the Shemagh, and I wear mine a lot when I have to be outside in the heat.)

That picture comes from his U Penn page, and it's clearly a scarf. 

Guido's "neck wear of indeterminate provenance":
http://web-facstaff.sas.upenn.edu/~gmenzio/index_files/self4.jpg

Mass-produced keffiyeh:
http://previews.123rf.com/images/onlyfabrizio/onlyfabrizio0811/onlyfabrizio081100043/3922947-Palestinian-Keffiyeh-on-a-white-background-Stock-Photo-keffiyeh.jpg

Another, this time with fringe:
http://img.bizator.com/a/2005268483/w500/3-arapatka-shemagh-keffiyeh-arab-scarf-100-cotton-the-style-is-unisex.jpg

Keff as scarf:
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121055832402-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Wool keffiyeh, this time with metrosexual asian men:
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2053584357_1/2014New-Fashion-Arab-Shemagh-font-b-Keffiyeh-b-font-Military-Tactical-Palestine-Light-Scarf-Shawl-For.jpg

Pretty damned close.  Close enough for most folk who don't even know what to call it.

http://web-facstaff.sas.upenn.edu/~gmenzio/  I'm going to do a little ethnic profiling of my own and say that Guido Menzio is neither Muslim or Arab.  So not only is the woman stupid for not knowing math, shes an idiot for not even being able to properly recognize the people she's bigoted against.  I'd have more sympathy if she'd recognized him as an economist and didn't want him on the plane for that reason.

Yep, to many, swarthy folk look similar.  Thing is, there is some non-trivial amount of arab & berber blood running through Italian veins.  Moreso in Sicily and coastal Italy.  So, were talking about folk with a Mediterranean aspect who do likely share some blood, especially if the economist's line traces to Sicily or any other coastal Italian settlement.   I would suggest watching "True Romance" again for the historical context.

So no roo-ster, there's no redeeming this.  She was a bigoted idiot that cost the airline and her fellow passengers hours and thousands of dollars because the accepted the KGB's ideal of Informing even if you are uniformed.  I'm with the above posters and she should be held financially liable for making a false report with no basis in fact.  As an example to other mouth breathers.

For my own part, I would have preferred if she had struck up a conversation with him and fished for information.  A simple introduction and small talk could have settled it simply if she sussed out his name & occupation.  And even the nature of his "interesting scarf."  But, then, I am a rather large man and somewhat handy.  I can muster up bonhomie when necessary.  If it went sideways, I have the confidence of knowing I could more than likely subdue or kill him it it came to it.  Especially when that close.

Instead she was the sort of woman for whom "Math is hard!"  And is fearful enough that she did not have it in her to strike up a clarifying conversation with someone who gave off visual cues of being a dangerous sort.  Perhaps women who are both ignorant of math and timorous ought to be denied the franchise?  Require some sort of poll test?  Need a chaperon when out of sight of their men-folk?

I am not impressed with her cognitive results.  Calling her a bigot is ignorant in its own way and ignores visible evidence for the cheap thrill and cheap grace of accusing someone of bigotry.  Wrongfully interpreting evidence is not a sign of prejudice on her own part.  I would not want to punish her or others for getting it wrong lest we end up with folk who stay mum in the face of evidence of jihadi tells for fear of being called a bigot by dogmush and his sort.  Oh, wait, we already have evidence of that from several jihadi acts, here & abroad.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 11:22:50 AM »
Menzio for his part says he was “treated respectfully throughout,” though he remains baffled and frustrated by a “broken system that does not collect information efficiently.” He is troubled by the ignorance of his fellow passenger, as well as “A security protocol that is too rigid–in the sense that once the whistle is blown everything stops without checks–and relies on the input of people who may be completely clueless. ”

Rising xenophobia stoked by the presidential campaign, he suggested, may soon make things worse for people who happen to look a little other-ish.
I agree with the guy's comment about a system that shuts everything down as soon as someone yells "terrorist".  That works for safety issues in chemical plants, but we can fire people who are this stupid.  It doesn't work for the general public.  There needs to be some flexibility at the flight crew level to evaluate the situation. 

I disagree with that last.  I don't know for sure if this was related to xenophobia.  Fear of getting blown up midair is not really xenophobia.  It is just self-preservation. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 11:51:53 AM »
BS roo_ster.

It's not one, and doesn't look like one.  and he doesn't look Arab.  Berber blood not withstanding.  There is no visual evidence.  Here's a thought, if you don't know what Arabic script looks like, and you don't know what Arabic garb looks like, and you don't know what an Arab looks like, you're not qualified to say the person sitting next to you might be an Arab scribbling in Arabic.

I would not want to punish her or others for getting it wrong lest we end up with folk who stay mum in the face of evidence of jihadi tells for fear of being called a bigot by dogmush and his sort.

No but I'd like to get back to the part where people STFU in the face of absolutly no evidence of jihad at all for fear of being responsible to for the outcome of their actions.  This women  had zero credible evidence, and she cost the people on the plane and the airline time and money that is not easily replaceable.  Had she yelled "Fire!" on that plane with no evidence she'd be facing criminal charges, we wouldn't be saying "Well she's not a fire fighter, so she can't be expected to know what smoke is. Better safe then sorry."  Had she locked down a Wal-Mart over a CCW, this forum would be eviscerating (metaphorically) her as a myopic, hoplophobic idiot.. But she yelled "terrorist" with the same level of accuracy and evidence.  Only those whose conformation bias this fits think this is OK.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »
I feel I should mention, as roo_ster and I bicker over knitting, that there is ONE picture of that guy wearing a scarf, taken outside, in (one assumes) Pennsylvania and posted to his UPenn page.  Every other picture Google spits out of the gentleman in question shows him sans neckwear of any type. His [remarkably unlocked down] Facebook page only shows one regrettable navy blue hipster scarf. So even if this one scarf looked Muslim (it doesn't) he likely wasn't wearing it on an aircraft.  Roo-ster's strawman falls even flatter.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:21:38 PM »
I don't do math and I'm in the "MATH IS HARD" camp, but I can recognize it when I see it.

but regardless of all that, this is the money line:

Menzio told the paper he was troubled by the women’s ignorance as well as “a security protocol that is too rigid—in the sense the once the whistle is blown everything stops without checks—and relies on the input of people who may be completely clueless.”

All it should have taken was a couple of the cabin attendants to look at the "Arabic script", say "We'll actually that is some mathematical formula's, Ma'am. The flight goes on."
I think part of it is no one wants to be accountable, which I get when it comes to stuff blowing up, but still, some basic common sense would go a long way to keep some of this nonsense in check.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 02:23:25 PM »
Just for the sake of argument, what if it wasn't innocent calculus formulas.

What could he possibly write on a tablet that was an immediate threat to the plane?  "The pen is mightier than the sword"?  Ideas can be dangerous?   ;/

It doesn't matter whether she could recognize the math.  She's a bigot.  The crew should have recognized that and offered to let her change seats, or get off the plane and forfeit her ticket.  I fault them a lot more than I do her.
"It's good, though..."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
BS roo_ster.

It's not one, and doesn't look like one.  and he doesn't look Arab.  Berber blood not withstanding.  There is no visual evidence.  Here's a thought, if you don't know what Arabic script looks like, and you don't know what Arabic garb looks like, and you don't know what an Arab looks like, you're not qualified to say the person sitting next to you might be an Arab scribbling in Arabic.

No but I'd like to get back to the part where people STFU in the face of absolutly no evidence of jihad at all for fear of being responsible to for the outcome of their actions.  This women  had zero credible evidence, and she cost the people on the plane and the airline time and money that is not easily replaceable.  Had she yelled "Fire!" on that plane with no evidence she'd be facing criminal charges, we wouldn't be saying "Well she's not a fire fighter, so she can't be expected to know what smoke is. Better safe then sorry."  Had she locked down a Wal-Mart over a CCW, this forum would be eviscerating (metaphorically) her as a myopic, hoplophobic idiot.. But she yelled "terrorist" with the same level of accuracy and evidence.  Only those whose conformation bias this fits think this is OK.

Patterns are patterns and dogmush is a fine example of the sort of folk who would outlaw--or at least levy fines against--pattern recognition and those who do not assess the evidence at hand to his satisfaction.  In this case, a literal fabric pattern.  And dogmush must have limited experience with folk of Mediterranean extraction and their range of common phenotypes.  Tip: not every arab looks like a caricature of Yassir Arafat.

dogmush, it doesn't help when you:
1. Lie about what she did.  She did not yell "terrorist!"
2. Make up completely noninterchangeable hypothetical situations.  Again, no yelling involved, so yelling "Fire" is not applicable.  Also, there was more than a single bit of evidence such as seeing the outline of a gun against a tight t-shirt.

Turns out she did engage him in conversation.  He was not forthcoming and willing to engage in sociable small-talk with a woman.  That's another bit of data for the gal to process.  Too bad she did not recognize his foreign accent as Italian. 

Let us look again at what the gal of admittedly limited experience and cognitive talent had to work with:
0. Possible article of clothing indicating MENA origin/sympathies.
1. Phenotype in range of MENA origin.
2. Unwilling to engage in small talk with a woman.
3. Foreign accent.
4. Writing in unintelligible script that reminded the gal of arabic.

Again, I wish she had more familiarity with mathematics, as the (to her) unintelligible script seems to be the one bit of evidence (among several) that caused her concern enough to voice them quietly to airline personnel.  I also wish she had more experience with foreigners speaking English such that she might catch an Italian accent.

Still, to call her a bigot or insist she be fined is asinine, given the circumstances.  Which is why there will be no fine, as airline personnel and LEOs take a more reasonable attitude toward reportage of existential threats than does dogmush.  There were signs enough for the average LEO to give the guy a looking over and to engage in probing conversation.  Which is what happened, as they determined that Guido was Italian, not MENA, and was working on math, not splodey-dope apologetics. 

And if you read the various articles on this incident, you can sniff out dogmush's lovely attitude of, "STFU, ignorant bigot" permeating them.  The articles emphasize the math bit in the title, but bury the other bits later in the article.  dogmush's preference may not yet be codified in law, but you can be darn sure it is the line being pushed by the MSM.  Why is that?

All it should have taken was a couple of the cabin attendants to look at the "Arabic script", say "We'll actually that is some mathematical formula's, Ma'am. The flight goes on."

I think part of it is no one wants to be accountable, which I get when it comes to stuff blowing up, but still, some basic common sense would go a long way to keep some of this nonsense in check.

I doubt there is much math required of stewards & stewardesses.  They may be as ignorant as the passenger.  And influenced to think "arabic" from the passenger's suggestion.  I'd think they would be more likely to eliminate a false positive with conversation, if they could get some from him.  They'd be more likely to spot an Italian accent than suss out any math.

But, yeah, I bet there is a rather rigid procedure for dealing with these sorts of things.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 03:19:48 PM »
Rooster, there isn't a lot of math required of a dog groomer either, but I can identify a page full of mathematical equations when I see one. I may not know how to solve them or even how to understand them, but I can recognize it for what it is.

Furthermore, maybe it's just because I've spent wayyyyy too much time around such types of geeks/nerds, but expecting someone who's scribbling complex mathematical formula's to be "chatty" is just expecting too much.  ;/

The woman was an idiot. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, and I think this stupid could use a prize.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »
Again, I wish she had more familiarity with mathematics, as the (to her) unintelligible script seems to be the one bit of evidence (among several) that caused her concern enough to voice them quietly to airline personnel.  I also wish she had more experience with foreigners speaking English such that she might catch an Italian accent.

If he had been writing "Death to America" poetry instead of differential equations, where is the immediate danger requiring any action at all?
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 05:01:40 PM »
Patterns are patterns and dogmush is a fine example of the sort of folk who would outlaw--or at least levy fines against--pattern recognition and those who do not assess the evidence at hand to his satisfaction.  In this case, a literal fabric pattern.  And dogmush must have limited experience with folk of Mediterranean extraction and their range of common phenotypes.  Tip: not every arab looks like a caricature of Yassir Arafat.
Again, you're inventing facts out of whole cloth.

Rebuttal in the first:  I have quite a bit of experience with folks of MENA (and the north side of the med as well) decent.  Cumulatively I have spent several years of my life living in, and working with the people of, those regions.  Rebuttal in the second.  Once again, as someone who has seen several hundred of them and owns two or three, that "literal fabric pattern" is not, and does not look like a Keffiyeh. Rebuttal in the third:  Even if the scarf on his home page was a Keffiyeh (and it's not) the woman next to him WOULD NOT HAVE SEEN IT. Because there's no evidence that he was wearing it on that flight, or indeed wears any scarf on a regular basis.

As an aside, I have actually used the results of various pattern recognition systems to do exactly what this lady failed to do (asses a threat) and while they work well they are as susceptible as any other system to the Garbage In-Garbage Out principle.  So far from outlawing them, I like them quite a bit.

dogmush, it doesn't help when you:
1. Lie about what she did.  She did not yell "terrorist!"
2. Make up completely noninterchangeable hypothetical situations.  Again, no yelling involved, so yelling "Fire" is not applicable.  Also, there was more than a single bit of evidence such as seeing the outline of a gun against a tight t-shirt.

She raised a false alarm about a situation that did not, and there was no evidence of, exist.  That false alarm caused damages to people.  Whether she yelled or passed a note is irrelevant.  She, through carelessness or malice, cause damages to people, and she should be responsible for those damages.  But fine, if you'd like to be pedantic, let me update my simile: If she had used a universities text based alert system to claim a dorm was on fire when it was not, she would be held responsible.

Turns out she did engage him in conversation.  He was not forthcoming and willing to engage in sociable small-talk with a woman.  That's another bit of data for the gal to process.  Too bad she did not recognize his foreign accent as Italian. 

Not wanting to interrupt one's work to talk with a nosy woman on a plane is no more a sign of terrorism then anything else this guy did.  She precipitated the whole situation by seeing things that she wanted to, filtered through her own, flawed, preconceptions and leapt to a conclusion unsupportable to rational people.

One can only conclude you think she was being reasonable because you share those preconceptions.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 05:37:51 PM »
This is the Rachel Ray scarf controversy all over again...

Seriously, is any black and white piece of cloth a sign of a terrorist now? That is both insane and inane.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 05:49:12 PM »
Well there was that one guy that wore a black and white Houndstooth* scarf, and was indeed bent on world domination.

* I knew I'd remember the name of that pattern.

Seriously, for those that didn't click through, THIS is the scary terrorist scarf:

Which there is no evidence he was even wearing on the plane.

So if we're keeping track: Not the right material, not the right shape, and not the right pattern.  But yep, scary and worth costing people thousands of dollars over. 

Thumbs up to roo_ster! You keep reporting your suspicions to the NKVD.  What's the worst that could happen?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »
Why is the focus on the woman? She was in a situation where others have had very bad experiences with middle eastern men.

Right or wrong her hackles went up. Ask just about any cop and they will tell you to trust your gut even in situations when you can't fully explain what's wrong.

The fail is was how the responsible authorities overreacted and blew out of proportion a paranoid passengers fears.

Bigot? No, just overcautious and afraid.

More immigration = less overall social trust
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
Why is the focus on the woman? She was in a situation where others have had very bad experiences with middle eastern men.

Right or wrong her hackles went up. Ask just about any cop and they will tell you to trust your gut even in situations when you can't fully explain what's wrong.

The fail is was how the responsible authorities overreacted and blew out of proportion a paranoid passengers fears.

Bigot? No, just overcautious and afraid.

More immigration = less overall social trust

Some good points here. While I've never found my gut to be particularly accurate, "trust your gut" is advice I've often seen here, and elsewhere in the gunosphere.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 08:26:02 AM »
Yes, innumeracy is a bad thing.  And the large & growing proportion of Americans who are functionally innumerate is a troubling trend.

I am saddened for our nation that most can not even recognize mathematical symbols, but I am not ready to condemn her given:
1. Swarthy-looking fellow.
2. Foreign-ness of calc/diff eq.
3. Wear of keffiyeh (by swarthy-looking dude with the scary squiggly numbers in the language of math).

One of these things without the others, no big whoop.  Two of things are getting in the realm of improbable, like a swimsuit model who is also a chemistry major.  Put three together and the you're approaching zebra territory, like a swimsuit model who is also a talmudic scholar or a splodey-dope.

The photo in the article looks like the prof is wearing a keffiyeh.  If he is, well, bugger him with a pogo stick for acting all "troubled by her ignorance."  Here are some other photos of folk wearing Keffiyeh:
https://www.google.com/search?safe=active&biw=1002&bih=672&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Keffiyeh&oq=Keffiyeh&gs_l=img.3..0l10.1823.1823.0.2024.1.1.0.0.0.0.133.133.0j1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.img..0.1.131.PeJWePJiFAU

Yes, it has become a fashion accessory for some lefties.  But complaining about folk thinking you are a splodey-dope when you don splodey-dope-wear is as obnoxious and asinine as "urban youths" mewling about being treated like thugs when they dress like thugs.  They consciously affected the appearance of a known dangerous sort and ought to own it when folk react to them like the dangerous sort.

If it is indeed a keffiyeh and not a scarf his mom knitted for him, this is an act of trolling.

Pffft.  Even if he were wearing a man dress and writing on a notepad in Arabic, she's still an idiot.  Since when is writing in any language threatening....except for when that language is threatening?
Were he actually making threats, then she'd have a leg to stand on, and so would you. No, she was just being ignorant.  Blaming that on him wearing a scarf is ignorance, too.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
Who in this situation is being paid to not be ignorant and make good judgements?

The flight crew and the authorities are the ones at blame here.

Simple qualifying questions about what her concerns were would have revealed that there was no cause for concern.

What has he said that has caused you alarm?

What has he done that has caused you alarm?

Are flight crews required to call the police for every concern or are they given a little bit of discretion?

You guys are just so ready to virtue signal that you aren't raaacist that you've missed the obvious.

Of course the government admitting thousands of Muslims from Syria and N Africa, hot beds of violence and terrorism, does nothing to increase social trust among disparate groups in the USA. Then again that may be the plan, as well as more Democrat voters.

The virtue signaling here on this issue is kind of sad.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 08:59:03 AM »
Who in this situation is being paid to not be ignorant and make good judgements?

The flight crew and the authorities are the ones at blame here.

Simple qualifying questions about what her concerns were would have revealed that there was no cause for concern.

What has he said that has caused you alarm?

What has he done that has caused you alarm?

Are flight crews required to call the police for every concern or are they given a little bit of discretion?

You guys are just so ready to virtue signal that you aren't raaacist that you've missed the obvious.

Of course the government admitting thousands of Muslims from Syria and N Africa, hot beds of violence and terrorism, does nothing to increase social trust among disparate groups in the USA. Then again that may be the plan, as well as more Democrat voters.

The virtue signaling here on this issue is kind of sad.

Oh, they're idiots too, right along side her.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:26 AM »
Just for the sake of argument, what if it wasn't innocent calculus formulas.

What could he possibly write on a tablet that was an immediate threat to the plane?  "The pen is mightier than the sword"?  Ideas can be dangerous?   ;/

Yep.

I, for one, wish to sentence this female nomath to a semester of 300 level differential calculus and all prerequisites required thereto.

Sentence will be complete only upon achieving a cumulative GPA of 2.7 with no grade in any one section lower than 2.0
7-11 was a part time job.