Author Topic: Teh maths is terr'isms!  (Read 10940 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Teh maths is terr'isms!
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »
;/  woman were never actually supported to take on real 'masculine' roles, only the window dressings of pants and jobs. If woman were actually that naturally timid and risk adverse, the human species would have ceased to exist a long time ago.
Yeah not so much.  I will stick with several millenia worth of observation of human nature and behavior, backed up with contemporary empirical evidence as my guide to reality.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Teh maths is terr'isms!
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »
Thread is fairly disappointing
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2016, 12:12:19 AM »
Well, you didn't become the scapegoat without support. So what did your parents do to you to mess you up so bad?

Or, I could say, don't be stupid. You know what I'm talking about, you just don't like it because it doesn't fit in your whole little "look at me, I should be allowed to the manly man to save little woman from herself" narrative. Rad fems on one side of the coin and jerks like you and rooster on the other and we wonder why gender is so screwed up in this country.

I think there's some kind of rule about calling people jerks. But it's OK. I know women can get emotional.  :P

I'm not sure how I became "the manly man who should be allowed to save the little woman." You'd have to explain that to my "jerk" mind. More :P

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:30 AM »

I'm not sure how I became "the manly man who should be allowed to save the little woman."

Yeah, that really is weird.  :rofl:
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2016, 12:54:49 AM »
This is about a year old, but I just now watched it. Posted this because of the profiling issue:

http://www.hankstrange.com/driving-while-strange-easter-sunday-traffic-stop/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 03:11:35 AM »
And the candidate thread for the Saturday night Mud Fight thread, misses its calling....

Paging Ben.  Ben to the White Courtesy* phone.

'

*- Sadly, this appears to be a very rare commodity in this thread.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2016, 06:52:55 AM »
I apologize for my use of the word 'jerks' as it violates the code of conduct of this board.

And God forbid I get righteously 'emotional' because someone thinks woman should be disallowed the vote and watched over by their 'menfolk', including myself, just because some dipshit doesn't know mathematical equations from Arabic.

Really cute litmis test we have around here for manners.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2016, 12:25:06 PM »
This is about a year old, but I just now watched it. Posted this because of the profiling issue:

http://www.hankstrange.com/driving-while-strange-easter-sunday-traffic-stop/

What profiling issue?

Deep-tinted front door side windows are illegal in some states, for the specific reason that the police CAN'T see the driver through them. That's why cars come from the factory with deep-tinted rear and back door windows, but either no tint or light tint on the front doors windows. Making a traffic stop for windows that are too dark isn't profiling if the cop can't see the driver -- and in this video, the dash cam shows that the patrol unit never even pulled alongside the guy's car, they got closee nogh to see the window tint and initiated the stop based on that.

I only watched about the first third of it, then I got tired and bailed out. I do wonder, though, if the guy is some kind of activist, why he effectively granted the officers permission to search his vehicle. When he gave them permission to get the insurance card out of the vehicle and didn't even know where it was in the vehicle, that opened Pandora's box.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »
And God forbid I get righteously 'emotional' because someone thinks woman should be disallowed the vote and watched over by their 'menfolk', including myself, just because some dipshit doesn't know mathematical equations from Arabic.

Righteously emotional? You're going off the deep end. Somebody alluded to a gadfly's half-serious comments about disenfranchising women. That doesn't mean anyone here wants take your vote away. And I'm still trying to figure out the "you wanna be a manly man" bit. ???

You're right about the silly rules, of course.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
What profiling issue?

If you watch the last half of the video, he has some interesting things to say, and much more information on the stop (depending on to what extent you trust him to tell the truth). Let me see if I can list the salient bits from memory.

1. There was some sort of annual gathering of a local (black) crime family going on, and other LEOs have supposedly told him that he was stopped as a part of an increased police presence that relies on a certain profile.

2. If he was stopped for tint (the tint of his windows, not the tint of his skin, har-har), it's interesting that they asked him to exit the vehicle, before even getting his documentation. One question I'd like to have answered is whether he was actually ticketed for the tint. He lives in the same state where he was stopped, so it doesn't look like an issue of his wandering into a more restrictive state.

3. Allowing them to go look for his insurance papers was a consequence of them having placed his gun in his car. I guess he could have done it some other way, but they don't seem to have found anything untoward in his car.

4. According to Strange, there were several other police cars on scene, and he believes they saw his face clearly, before pulling him over.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2016, 02:39:52 PM »
Deep-tinted front door side windows are illegal in some states, for the specific reason that the police CAN'T see the driver through them.

Having once bought a beater that had poorly applied dark tint on the front, it's also a legit safety issue.  While it was fine in the daytime, at night it made a huge difference in the ability to read signs, and to spot poorly-lit objects in peripheral vision.  About two hours after dark the first night, I snagged a trooper sitting in a parking lot and asked him to check it.  It was only 2-3% darker than the limit.  I bought some acetone, rags and scrapers and made a mess getting rid of all of it before finishing the drive home.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
I would kinda like to know if his windows are particularly dark, or if that was the real reason for the stop.

I get the safety issue if a driver can't see through the window, but I don't get Hawkmoon's reason. Why do I have to make sure police can see my face?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2016, 03:36:01 PM »
I would kinda like to know if his windows are particularly dark, or if that was the real reason for the stop.

I get the safety issue if a driver can't see through the window, but I don't get Hawkmoon's reason. Why do I have to make sure police can see my face?

Because the law (in some states, not sure about yours) specifies a maximum degree of tint that can be applied to the front door side windows in a motor vehicle. You don't have to ensure that a cop can see your face, but you do have to ensure that your vehicle complies with the law.

In the first part of the video, the officer checks the window and tells Strange what the reading is on this window, and explains that it's much darker than what the law allows. He didn't ask for documentation until after the violation had been established by checking the tint with a meter.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
He didn't ask for documentation until after the violation had been established by checking the tint with a meter.

I'm sort of curious which direction the meter checks, and what wavelength or range thereof.  Seems like it would be possible to make something that's difficult to see through from the outside but would still pass the test.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
I'm sort of curious which direction the meter checks, and what wavelength or range thereof.  Seems like it would be possible to make something that's difficult to see through from the outside but would still pass the test.

They check from inside out, with a visible white light, I've seen them in use.  The more chrome or mirrored tints can make it a lot harder to see in while staying legal in the legal % range. But they look more ghetto too.

I run 5% on my cars, all the way around because I live in FL and it's hot. I have on all my rides for like 17 years now. Screw em.  That said, I've been pulled over for other things, and gone with the "polite, I know I done wrong" tactic and only one LEO ever questioned my tint. He was a Virginia State Trooper while I was TDY up here, and I played the "dumb E4 going back to FL next month" card and he let me go. I actually got pulled over in my Bronco in St Petersburg for following a friend too close in the wrong 'hood with my windows up, and after it was ascertained I wasn't stalking him fo a car jacking they didn't even ask about my tint.

From my experiences in FL, tint ticket/stops (I don't even know if it's a primary offence in FL) only come if you look like you're up to no good, or they pull you for something else and you act like a jackass so they start finding violations to pile on.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2016, 04:54:49 PM »
Because the law (in some states, not sure about yours) specifies a maximum degree of tint that can be applied to the front door side windows in a motor vehicle. You don't have to ensure that a cop can see your face, but you do have to ensure that your vehicle complies with the law.

In the first part of the video, the officer checks the window and tells Strange what the reading is on this window, and explains that it's much darker than what the law allows. He didn't ask for documentation until after the violation had been established by checking the tint with a meter.

You got me, then, because I skipped past that part of the video. I didn't know they had meters to check them with.

Is it standard procedure to have someone exit their car for a tint violation?

While the law is the law, you said the law is meant to allow police to see inside the vehicle. That's the part I'm not understanding. Why do the police need to see my face?

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2016, 05:39:41 PM »
They check from inside out, with a visible white light, I've seen them in use.  The more chrome or mirrored tints can make it a lot harder to see in while staying legal in the legal % range. But they look more ghetto too.

I've thought about something like that, though I'm more concerned with making it more difficult for someone to easily spot if I've left a laptop or something laying in the passenger seat.  It's less convenient/discreet to scope out a car through the windshield, and an opaque sunshade when parked pretty much eliminates that angle anyway.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2016, 06:03:36 PM »
Gotta feel out your local constabulary. 

Like I said, I just Limo Tint 'em and call it cool.  You can't see inside from even in full sun.