Author Topic: Cheap furniture  (Read 6013 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Cheap furniture
« on: November 14, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
I guess there's no getting around the "you get what you pay for" axiom.

A couple of months ago I bought a desk from Office Max to use as a reloading bench. I needed something that looked better than a work bench or homemade 2"x4" bench, since it was going in my office and would be visible to company.

I finally decided that I'd get it assembled this weekend so I could reload for next weekend.

In the online reviews of the desk, people complained that it took them five hours to assemble it. Bah. I've rebuilt cars and motorcycles, knocked out walls, done all sorts of things. Shouldn't take long, right?

Wrong. It took me more than five hours to assemble on Saturday. Everything was in pieces. Nothing was even partially assembled. The only thing the factory did was cut the pieces, drill some holes, and apply the "ebony" finish. I'm surprised it didn't come with a template and a jig saw.

After getting it assembled, I found that the drawers wouldn't close. The pre-drilled holes for the drawer glides were way off. My back was screaming, so I put the drawers off until today.

It took me the better part of the day to get the drawers to fit. I probably drilled fifty new holes as I moved the glides around until everything was aligned properly.

Then I had to take a black sharpie and go over all of the edges of the "ebony" finish to hide the edges of the paper. I'm sure this finish won't last for more than two or three reloading sessions. I'll have to find a rubber or vinyl mat to cover the desktop.

The only thing I can say is that it was cheap, something I couldn't say about a special-order Anderson storm door that also came completely unassembled, and took an entire day to put together and hang.

I'd complain about Office Max but, as long as there's dolts like me trying to find something for nothing, what are they supposed to do?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Cheap furniture
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
Just gave away a 1960s-era metal desk that was my reloading bench.  Stout?  You got no idea.  It was kinda heavy, but so sturdy you could hit it with a hand truck from any angle.

Got it for ~$100 6-7 years ago.  Was in great condition when I got it and it was in great condition when I gave it to a newly divorced gal for her "Wo-man Cave" and was going to use it for relaoding.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
I promise not to duck.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
I picked up a free 1960's metal desk from craigslist about a year ago for an electronics workbench.

Holy cow, that thing is STURDY.  I think nothing of sitting on it, etc.

Downside, it is a bit heavy.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:04:54 PM »
I picked up a free 1960's metal desk from craigslist about a year ago for an electronics workbench.

Holy cow, that thing is STURDY.  I think nothing of sitting on it, etc.

This.

When we lived in Utah I got a similar desk at the thrift store for maybe forty or fifty bucks.  Metal desk with a wood top on it.
Best
work
bench
ever!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 09:13:55 PM »
I wanted to get one of those old school metal desks like you see teachers or office drones using, but they are heavy as hell and just large to possibly not go up our stairs.

If you want cheap furniture, the best place to look are flea markets/Goodwill/Salvation Army.  There will be a lot of junk, but some gems as well.  Ikea has decent stuff if you pay attention to what you're buying.  Some of it is pressboard crap, but other items are pretty nice.

Chris

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 09:21:41 PM »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31:49 PM »

Mine was alot like that but had a wooden top, which made it a great work bench.  Bolted a vise to it, and did all manner of work on top of it.  Would love a new one, but our garage here is tiny tiny tiny.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 10:19:14 PM »
<>

Well hell, for that much effort you should have gotten one of these kits and made your own bench.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »
Mine was alot like that but had a wooden top, which made it a great work bench.  Bolted a vise to it, and did all manner of work on top of it.  Would love a new one, but our garage here is tiny tiny tiny.

Looks like an old Steelcase desk.  They are indestructible.  I had one when I had my own insurance office.  I had a guy make an oak top to fit over the original formica.  Had the metal painted black.

I still have the sliding door credenza out in the garage for storage.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:37:02 PM »
I have a heavy office desk that is virtually immovable--anyone know a reloader in Michigan who wants it?  I REALLY, really don't want to move that thing. :/

As for cheap furniture, Ikea is great, but most of their stuff I wouldn't use for reloading. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:42:05 PM »
I should stress that I couldn't get something that looked industrial, as the bench is going in my office (spare bedroom). My wife wouldn't be pleased to have an old teacher's desk or a workbench. I did look at the bench at Cabela's, but she wanted something nicer.

The computer tables I have in the office would work great.  They look nice, and  they're sturdy enough that two people could probably dance on them. They're 15 years old, though, and I couldn't find anything like them.

For all of the hassle, the cheap desk is actually sturdy. I figured I'd have to attach it to 2"x4"s in the wall or anchor it to the floor, but no need.

Still cheap, though.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »
people pay for furniture?

freecycle.org is your friend
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 11:08:32 PM »
The pre-drilled holes for the drawer glides were way off. My back was screaming, so I put the drawers off until today.

It took me the better part of the day to get the drawers to fit. I probably drilled fifty new holes as I moved the glides around until everything was aligned properly.

You had the drawer sides swapped.  Happened to me once.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2010, 11:19:39 PM »
You had the drawer sides swapped.  Happened to me once.

Everything was numbered, even the two pieces each of the drawer glides (F1 & F2 for the left side F3 & F4 for the right). The glides for the bottom drawer are symmetrical vertically, and have the mounting holes drilled exactly in the center.

The pre-drilled holes were at different heights from the bottoms of their respective panels.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
Everything was numbered, even the two pieces each of the drawer glides (F1 & F2 for the left side F3 & F4 for the right). The glides for the bottom drawer are symmetrical vertically, and have the mounting holes drilled exactly in the center.

The pre-drilled holes were at different heights from the bottoms of their respective panels.

Panel was upside-down.  Happened to me once.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 12:37:51 AM »
Panel was upside-down.  Happened to me once.

I was thinking that too. That stuff, problematic as it may be, is all made on automated jigs etc, and is rarely "wrong".

But after hearing his tale of woe and personal pain, I didn't have the heart to say anything.  :angel:
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
I has a nice-looking wooden desk that will give any of your 60s metal desks a run for their money in weight or solidity. FREE.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 12:48:16 AM »
Panel was upside-down.  Happened to me once.

No, it couldn't be. Each panel was drilled at the top for pins and bolts for the desk top. The panels also couldn't have been backwards front-to-back because each one had: a) a finished front edge; and b) varying numbers of pre-drilled holes especially placed for shelves, bottom supports and rear supports. The right panel had just two drilled holes on the vertical face at the rear, and four holes drilled on the top edge. The middle panel had a dozen or more holes drilled on the left face, a few on the right face, and four on the top edge. The left panel had about a dozen on the interior face and about four on the top edge.

There are only two panels that are interchangeable, and those are the two doors at the top. Everything else can only go together one way. Here's the desk, so you can get an idea of what I mean:

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 12:51:08 AM »
Well hell, for that much effort you should have gotten one of these kits and made your own bench.

I bought two of those kits from Target online.  Added one inch thick composite (I think that's what they are, a high density pressboard) table tops over 2x4 cross pieces.  They worked out great as shop benches.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:06 AM »
I hope you heavily reinforced the area your press mounts to. If not, it will snap right off the 1st time you load ANY rifle cartridges or .44 and up brass! I made a 1/4" thick plate and sandwiched the desk between the press and the plate and even added a pipe adjustable length leg on the outboard edge of the plate to handle the wisting that the desk did under force of the press. You can just see it in the following picture:

This desk was made for me at the particleboard plant I used to work at. They made it out of scrap/seconds and let me take it when I left the company! It just BARELY fit in a 8' tall by 11' long room and the ONLY way to move it was to take it apart! It was assembled with sheetrock screws and the boards were marked for easy tear-down and reassembly. I took it home in pieces hanging out the back of a Pinto Wagon. We called it "The Desk From Hell."

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 02:29:51 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
I reinforced it underneath, HeroHog. My bench/desk just isn't as, uh, full as yours. ;)

Just to be clear: I'm not arguing with anybody about panels being upside down or glides mounted on the wrong side. If I screwed up something, I'd be the first to admit it. It's just that with this design, there's no way a panel could have been in the wrong place or oriented improperly, nor the glides not mounted properly. It was the holes that were off. If I had to guess, the company that made them made a change to the machine that drills the holes, made a mistake, but shipped the ones with the wrong glide mount holes anyway.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »

Holy cow, that thing is STURDY.  I think nothing of sitting jumping up & down with all my weight on it, etc.

That is closer to my experience.

Mine had a 1"+ thick wooden top with formica on top of that.  The coolest formica ever, since the pattern was 1/5" graph paper.

It was a bit heavy, but I could maneuver it anywhere with my hand truck.  Me & the gal got it in her pickup truck easily.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2010, 11:26:43 PM »
Mine had a 1"+ thick wooden top with formica on top of that.  The coolest formica ever, since the pattern was 1/5" graph paper.

That is cool!  Where'd you find that?
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »
Two heavy-duty two-drawer filing cabinets.

One Maple butcher-block top; min 1.5" thick; width and length your preference.

Space filing cabinets to desired separation; remove drawers from filing cabs and attach top to cabs with screws from inside cabs. Replace drawers.

Done. Easily portable when necessary.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.