Author Topic: If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole  (Read 1256 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole
« on: October 29, 2020, 10:55:04 AM »
https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-america-became-a-country-full-of-aholes

I will have to look for this book at the library.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

fifth_column

• friend
Re: If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 11:04:18 AM »
The link brings up a 404 error for me.  For some reason this link works:  https://feedpress.me/link/20202/14008790/how-america-became-a-country-full-of-aholes

I have no idea why it doesn't work to link directly to that page . . . .

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
"If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole"

Somebody decided to write an article on that?

Just remember:

Knock not that ye not be knocked.  (Mat 7:1 KJV)

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 11:50:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 11:42:46 AM »
I love that these a-holes think Trump is what's causing all this.

No, he's the RESPONSE to the Democrats ignoring the social compact for DECADES.

We had a polite, happy, "revolution" in the Tea Party. They were angry and motivated, but they were (mostly) polite. They cleaned up after themselves AND the counter-protestors.

What did they get? The Republicans and the Democrats used the power of the Federal government to murder the movement in its crib.

So they got Trump.

They think if they get rid of him, it will be fixed. NO, he's the first escalation. What comes next will be LESS polite and restrained.

The only option for the ruling class is to start respecting norms and their opponents. But as they are currently training children to attack people who disagree with the elite positions, that doesn't appear to be part of their plans.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »

Kind of like how the Crusades were a response to an invasion that had/was already occurring yet today almost one ever points that out instead they blame the crusades for all the trouble.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »
To grasp that argument, one need only listen to aholes: A Theory’s basic description of an ahole. As James states, “The ahole, as I define it, is the guy who allows himself special advantages in cooperative life out of an entrenched sense of entitlement that immunizes him against the complaints of other people.” In other words, he’s the individual—generally male, although as John Cleese candidly admits, his mother probably was one too—who thinks the general rules don’t apply to them because they’re somehow smarter, better, or more special than their fellow citizens.

The article gives this definition from the book.  I guess this guy just jumps to the conclusion that it represents Trump and doesn't even bother to consider that the radical left and rich aholes who fund them fit this definition very well.  Add in a lot of corrupt politicians at every level. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
Was the Trump-bashing part of the OP's original citation?  I got a 404 on that one, so I hit the second cite where blaming Trump seemed to be SOP, automatic, Pavlov's dogs salivatingness.

Reminded me of one of those little yaplap dogs going bonkers over the doorbell ringing.

https://youtu.be/ab1se0dkeCU (0:35)

Terry, 230RN

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 12:59:18 PM »
The original link works if you correct the spelling of the last word  (our 'llustrious forum software bowdlerized it)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
Men without chests.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »
Men without chests.

We have had a lot of brilliant men see what was happening to our society and warning about it.

They were mostly ignored or scoffed at by the "elites". Seems Cassandra is a recurring historical figure.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 02:27:33 PM »

I agree.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 03:28:12 PM »
Was the Trump-bashing part of the OP's original citation?  I got a 404 on that one, so I hit the second cite where blaming Trump seemed to be SOP, automatic, Pavlov's dogs salivatingness.

Reminded me of one of those little yaplap dogs going bonkers over the doorbell ringing.

https://youtu.be/ab1se0dkeCU (0:35)

Terry, 230RN
I thought the article said Trump was not mentioned in the book he is referencing.  I think that is just the author of this article blaming all evils on Trump when it is likely he is the bigger ahole. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »
 Thanks, MechAg94. Frankly, I quit reading it after a while --once again seeing it was pretty much just a Trump-bashing screed.

And the original premise, that is, "running into aholes al day means you're the ahole" seems too obvious to bother discussing.

Sooo, thanks MillCreek, for providing another example of the lockbrained "thinking" of the Left Wing.  That's about the only useful thing I can take away from this thread.

Terry, 230RN

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 04:49:53 PM »

We had a polite, happy, "revolution" in the Tea Party. They were angry and motivated, but they were (mostly) polite. They cleaned up after themselves AND the counter-protestors.

What did they get? The Republicans and the Democrats used the power of the Federal government to murder the movement in its crib.

So they got Trump.

They think if they get rid of him, it will be fixed. NO, he's the first escalation. What comes next will be LESS polite and restrained.

The only option for the ruling class is to start respecting norms and their opponents. But as they are currently training children to attack people who disagree with the elite positions, that doesn't appear to be part of their plans.

The self-styled "elite" aren't just teaching their kids to attack people who disagree with them. They are also teaching their kids (as they were probably taught by their parents) that the end justifies the means. As an example, look at the recent college admissions scandal, in which a bunch of Hollywood "personalities" thought it was perfectly okay to pay large sums of money to get their brats admitted to colleges the brats could never have gotten into on their own merits -- probably due, at least in part, because the kids had been raised not to have any particular merits beyond their parents' names.

But it's not just the elites. There was a news story just yesterday about two sisters who were so incensed when they were told they would have to wear masks in a shoe store or leave that they attacked the store's security guard and stabbed him 27 times. If that ain't aholery, I don't know what is.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 06:24:25 AM »
^
Jeeze, Pack Behavior with an N of only two.  What are things coming to?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 07:52:27 AM »
If you run into aholes all day, you're the ahole

Or you work with the public daily.

One of the neat tricks you learn being a public facing employee is not dwelling on the aholes and celebrating the good folks.

It's not a perfect solution but it is better than staring into the abyss.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
Or you work with the public daily.

One of the neat tricks you learn being a public facing employee is not dwelling on the aholes and celebrating the good folks.

It's not a perfect solution but it is better than staring into the abyss.

Just remember,  the Abyss stares back into you........and then asks to see your manager.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:25 PM »
It is sooo sweet when ahole is being ahole to two employees, then wants to "see a manager!" - and one employee points to the other and says "She's a manager"  :D

Happened today.  Other customers laughed as he stalked off in a huff.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 09:41:31 PM »
It is sooo sweet when ahole is being ahole to two employees, then wants to "see a manager!" - and one employee points to the other and says "She's a manager"  :D

Happened today.  Other customers laughed as he stalked off in a huff.

That's always great.

I've done the "You want my manager's number,  here you go",  and then given said ahole my card.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2020, 05:21:14 AM »
When I worked bar security I would just tell them No.

"I want to speak to your manager!"

"No.  Get out."

That always stumped the Karen types. "But....but...you have to!"  "No, I don't.  Get out."