Author Topic: Post George Floyd TV Show Censorship  (Read 807 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Post George Floyd TV Show Censorship
« on: November 01, 2020, 07:01:13 PM »
I just ran into some interesting stealth censorship/editing of a TV show rerun that has to have been done post riots. A bit of a long story to get to it:

I loved The Office when it was on and most anytime I want just a quick 20 minutes of TV without searching through current crap that's out there, will just rewatch an episode of The Office. Additionally, The Office is leaving Netflix next year for I guess Peacock, so I've started watching all the seasons in order again before it's gone.

So I just watched Season 9, "Dwight's Christmas", in which German ancestry Dwight throws a Pennsylvania Dutch traditional office Christmas party. He does the Belshnikel theme, which without going into great detail is sort of like Krampus. All his coworkers think it is made up, but then the office liberal looks it up on Wiki and finds it's a real tradition.

Additionally (here comes the censoring) Belshnikel is usually accompanied by an imp, generally portrayed by a person in blackface. When this is read out loud, the black guy in the office says, "no way". Dwight spouts some stuff about, "Come on - we adjust for modern times. No way I'd do that". While he says this, you see him texting on his phone. Then we get a scene where Dwight's assistant is seen walking to the office building dressed up in blackface, reads the text, and does a 180 back to his car. Except when I watched the episode today, all you see is Dwight texting on his phone, then it goes to a completely different scene.

They censored the blackface joke out of it, even though this is a show extremely popular with liberals, and the scene is very comical and expected for the character. But now it's gone. Interestingly, later in the episode, they keep the scene where Dwight's assistant is now at the Christmas party out of his costume and with his blackface removed, except he forgot to wash off the lips and remove the portion of nappy hair on the back of his head.

This same episode has played through countless protests over the last I guess seven years, but couldn't survive the latest cancel culture. I have to wonder what other shows are being "stealth censored" for innocuous scenes because network SJWs are on a micro-aggression warpath.

It has additionally gotten me to thinking I'd like to see if I can find Reno 911 streaming anywhere. That show (filled with super liberal actors) said the N word like every other episode, as well as made malt liquor and fried chicken style jokes all the time. I have the DVDs of all the seasons, so the censors can't get to me, but I'm betting that if they did this to The Office, there's no way Reno 911 survived the SJWs. I'd be interested to see just how much those episodes got butchered.

If they're doing this with TV shows*, you have to wonder what other "censors" in other mediums are stealth editing small things here and there to essentially change TV, books, and who knows what else to make them "appropriate" to one certain segment of current society.

*And yes, I realize they have been doing this for a good while with older TV shows, cartoons, etc. However The Office is a modern TV show, designed by liberals, who are, only a few short years after the series ended, now no longer PC enough. Kinda scary stuff when we're talking five years instead of fifty years in the cultural change department.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Post George Floyd TV Show Censorship
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 09:34:32 PM »
Office geek here. I recall the episode. They won't get me. DVD FTW
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 12:17:25 AM »
Try finding Buffalo Bill, season 2 episode 1.  Remember the "Hit the Road, Jack" scene?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »
Double post
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-office-blackface-scene-edited-out-community-episode-pulled-netflix-1234691427/
The episode sees Dwight attempting to convince his colleagues at Dunder Mifflin to celebrate a Pennsylvania Dutch Christmas in the scene. It will no longer appear on Netflix or in syndication (it also will not be on Peacock when “The Office” moves there in 2021).

The removal is the latest example of Hollywood re-evaluating episodes featuring characters in blackface.

“30 Rock” creator Tina Fey asked for multiple episodes of the NBC series to be removed for the same reason, Hulu pulled three episodes of “Scrubs,” and Netflix removed the entire British sketch series “Little Britain.”

Netflix and Hulu both also pulled the “Advanced Dungeons & Dragons” episode of “Community,” Variety has confirmed. In the episode, Ken Jeong’s character wears dark make-up to play a “dark elf.”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »
Dark Elves Matter

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 04:39:13 PM »
I've noticed it from time to time and I quit trying to document stuff like that since most of the time the original evidence can no longer be found.

Informally (since the evidence exists only n my memory)  I've seen some of that in Wikipedia, where I found something that disagrees with what I read in the same article years before.

It's almost as if the new baby-faced editors look at something in an article and say, "Oh, that can't be," and edit to match the preconceptions and deceptions they've been exposed to all their little lives.(citation needed)

Yeah, there's "later research" and all that which could be part of a legitimate edit, and this geriatric old coot might actually be misremembering something, but there are times I know I'm on solid ground but can't prove it any more.

Glad you found hard evidence of a PC edit to bitch about, but there're many more instances out there which skulk by like the proverbial thief in the night.

I'll say one thing, though.  If they ever edit out Shane's speech to Marian on guns, I'm really going to raise hell.(tranquilizer needed)

Terry, 230RN

REF (NOISE WARNING !):
https://youtu.be/Ternps0JFwo
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 04:57:05 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 07:48:41 PM »
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/the-office-blackface-scene-edited-out-community-episode-pulled-netflix-1234691427/

Thanks. I was gonna search but didn't get around to it. The comments are an interesting slice of culture, including liberals debating if the censorship is okay or not.

At any rate, much like I'm starting to go old school with how I save my music, I think I'm going back to DVDs for movies and shows that I want to buy, at least as long as DVDs are available. I've noticed DVDs are often cheaper than buying the Amazon streaming version anyway. I don't own The Office in any form, so I've already lost the original stuff there even if I buy the DVDs tomorrow.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 07:29:51 PM »
I was watching To Catch a Thief on Prime this morning, and I noticed that "blackface" is listed among the reasons for its PG rating. Which is a lot better than censoring the blackface.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife