Author Topic: McPlant  (Read 735 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
McPlant
« on: November 09, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/mcdonalds-to-test-mcplant-which-includes-its-own-meat-free-burger-next-year-beyond-meat-shares-fall.html

Further evidence of the popularity of meat substitutes.  The question I have is if they will be around long-term and widely available or nothing more than a niche product. I enjoyed the Impossible burger at Red Robin.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: McPlant
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 07:15:02 PM »
I've tried Burger King's unburger burger. It was ... okay.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 07:20:12 PM »
I can't decide if this should be called The 46 Burger or The 2020 Burger
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »
I'm not for or against them. I've seen one of the meat substitute burger patties at Costco and it crossed my mind to at least try them, but I haven't yet.

I guess my deal is that if I don't want to eat a real burger, I would just as soon that the substitute patty taste like something completely different and interesting, rather than trying to pass itself off as meat. There are several veggie sandwiches that I have very much enjoyed eating and that were very filling.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 07:22:52 PM »
Are they going to have a Baconator version?
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2020, 07:58:37 PM »

I guess my deal is that if I don't want to eat a real burger, I would just as soon that the substitute patty taste like something completely different and interesting, rather than trying to pass itself off as meat.

Exactly this.

If you don't want to eat meat, then why do you want your non-meat to taste like meat?

For the record, the best non-meat "burger" was the black bean veggie burger from Chili's that was around in the late '90s.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 08:23:28 PM »
I've had a few black bean patties from the frozen aisle. At no time did I mistake it for cow but a couple of brands were tasty.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2020, 08:33:22 PM »
Red Robin = good fries although slow on the refills and my favorite burger, the Burnin' Love.

I guess a broccoli or Brussels sprout flavored burger just doesn't have the acceptance that meat does.

bob

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 09:48:31 PM »

I guess a broccoli or Brussels sprout flavored burger just doesn't have the acceptance that meat does.

That depends on whether the burger was meant to taste like meat or broccoli.   A good black bean burger tastes like well seasoned black beans, not fake meat, so I like it.  I like grilled portabella cap burgers because they taste like a yummy mushrrom.  Fried tomato sandwich?  Yes, please.  Trying to make a tomato taste like beef?  No, thanks.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 09:05:41 AM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/09/mcdonalds-to-test-mcplant-which-includes-its-own-meat-free-burger-next-year-beyond-meat-shares-fall.html

Further evidence of the popularity of meat substitutes.  The question I have is if they will be around long-term and widely available or nothing more than a niche product. I enjoyed the Impossible burger at Red Robin.
Is it really "popular" or is there just a lot of pressure from key people/groups to develop this stuff?  I would be curious about the total sales.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 09:49:11 AM »
I've had a couple of Impossible Whoppers. I actually liked them.

I've had some other plant based foods, including hot dogs that I got in my Imperfect Food delivery over the summer. They were quite... gross.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 09:51:13 AM »
I've actually wanted to try an impossible burger for a while, but on every occasion that I've eaten where they are served I noticed they weren't any cheaper and I'd rather just enjoy a real burger.

If they cost almost as much as meat then I'll eat real meat.
If they don't taste great then I'll either eat real meat, or real vegetables that aren't heavily processed like the fake meat.
If they are significantly cheaper and taste good then I could see myself replacing some of the non-meat stuff I'd otherwise eat with fake meat.

In my current hierarchy of preference it falls near or slightly below "formed, fried, chicken scrap nuggets", so it would take significant price incentive to overcome that deficit.  I'm willing to be swayed, but they're going to have to move me.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
SoyLent Mc.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 03:34:48 PM »
It's nice to have options other than a grilled/fried chicken sandwich when hitting the heart attack in a sack joints. I just wish they were the same price as the beef counterpart. I think Impossible Whopper is $2 more, I know a local pub and grub it's $2 more for a Beyond Burger.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 04:05:22 PM »
I got my Impossible Whoppers when they were in an either 2 for $5 or 2 for $6 special.

They were good. Mouth feel was a bit different, the patties were kind of dry, and they were salty.

But, overall tasty, but certainly not worth more than a beef whopper.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.