Author Topic: Game Cam Batteries  (Read 474 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Game Cam Batteries
« on: November 10, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
I know some of you guys have game cams. What batteries are you using? I bought a couple of new game cams (already had one) and am setting them up around the property to capture the Fall and Winter critters.

Most all game cams seem to say "don't use rechargeable batteries". In my old one, I have still used nimh batteries to no ill effect, other than the batteries only last a couple of days in an active camera before they need to be recharged, and game cams seem to all use around eight batteries, so having to hassle with collecting and recharging 24 batteries every few days is kind of a hassle. On the other hand, alkalines, which last maybe a month, kinda add up. I'm not an environazi, but tossing 24 batteries every months seems kinda wasteful.

Might there be a better rechargeable battery alternative that lasts longer than nimhs? I guess my other option is looking for some of those solar kits for game cams, though I don't know how well they do under low light, Winter conditions. Also, while it would be convenient for one camera that I plan on leaving in one place, I want to move the other two around a bit, and dragging along and mounting the solar panels seems like a hassle, plus the solar panel might spook animals.

Any other ideas?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
Re: Game Cam Batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 09:27:22 AM »
I just buy bulk Amazon alkaline batteries. The C cells in my older camera last about two years. My AA cell newer ones last about a year.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 09:29:51 AM »
I just buy bulk Amazon alkaline batteries. The C cells in my older camera last about two years. My AA cell newer ones last about a year.

I wonder if there's something wrong with my old game cam? I only just started using the new ones. I guess I should track battery usage in them before I do anything else.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 09:31:23 AM »
Energizer lithium are the only thing I use besides rechargeable. The cost per mAh is comparable to alkaline but they last longer, work better in cold weather, never leak, and they are much lighter than alkaline
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine