Author Topic: Joe "The Gaffe" Biden come on down  (Read 10898 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Joe "The Gaffe" Biden come on down
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:54 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569895,00.html

Wednesday, October 28, 2009
By Gary Gastelu

FoxNews.com

Vice President Joe Biden, during a visit Tuesday to a Delaware automotive assembly plant, unwittingly revealed startup manufacturer Fisker Automotive's undisclosed plans to produce a full line of plug-in hybrid vehicles at the facility.

Near the end of his speech, Biden asked the crowd of mostly UAW workers, who had worked at the Boxwood Road facility in Wilmington when it was owned by General Motors, to “imagine when this factory, when the floor we’re standing on right now is making 100,000 plug-in hybrid sedan, coupes and crossovers every single year."

Fisker, which is in the process of purchasing the plant, previously said only that it was developing the sedan, to be priced at around $40,000 after state and federal tax credits are taken into account.

In an interview with Foxnews.com after the presentation, company founder and CEO Henrik Fisker confirmed that what Biden said was accurate.

“He definitely told what our product plans are,” Fisker laughed, adding that all of his company's cars are being developed from the start with at least three derivatives in mind.

Fisker said that the first Nina, the sedan, will begin production in 2012 using a lower-cost version of the series hybrid powertrain developed for the company's flagship $80,000 Karma, which is slated to be manufactured by Valmet of Finland beginning in 2010. Production of the Karma will also be brought to Delaware when the second generation of the car is launched in 2016, according to company COO, Bernhard Koehler.

Styling of the Nina — named for the ship that brought Christopher Columbus back to Europe from his first journey to the New World, and meant to symbolize the beginning of a new era in automaking – is still being kept under wraps, but designs have been shown to the government officials who approved the $529 million federal loan to Fisker that made the purchase of the shuttered plant possible.

“It’s going to have a very exciting radical design,” Fisker said. “We actually just showed it to the vice president of the United States of America and he said ‘it looks like a four-door Ferrari, I can’t believe it’s only going to be $40,000.’”

As for the Karma, Fisker corroborated earlier statements that it will be able to travel up to 50 miles on electric power and should receive an EPA combined rating of around 67 mpg, though some owners will be able to achieve over 100 mpg, depending on their driving style.

Unlike what is known about the operation of the Chevy Volt, which uses a powertrain that is similar in concept to the Karma’s, Fisker said that drivers will have some ability to manually turn the internal combustion engine on and off as battery power permits, by choosing between "stealth" and "sport" modes.

Fisker adds that, in either setting, when battery charge is depleted and the vehicle is using the internal combustion engine to provide power for the electric motors, the performance of the car will remain the same.

A prototype of the Karma was shown to the public lapping the track at California's Laguna Seca raceway in electric mode this past August, but, to date, no journalist has been allowed to drive the car.

I just hope and pray that he doesn't spill some type of national secret when he opens his mouth.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Joe "The Gaffe" Biden come on down
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
Nina? Karma?

Companies really ought to hire marketing people with more than 75 IQ points.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:36:38 PM »
Nina?  Karma?  Fiskar?

Fiskar makes scissors and sewing needles.  A little bit of cutlery too from what I hear.  Obviously marketing to women with car names like that.

And, if Columbus references were their point with a European re-conquest of America, they couldn't exactly choose the Pinta (for the Ford Pinto) or the Santa Maria (too easily associated with spanish, illegal aliens and negative sentiment.  Also heavy religious overtones, which won't sell well to non-Catholics).

Hank: Wow, Fred!, is that a Fiskar Nina in your driveway?
Fred:  Sure is... the little miss let me pick it up this weekend.
Hank:  Nifty-neato. I bet it rips up the race track.

Nah, that's not a conversation you'll hear in the driveways and garages of America.

Chick car.

What is it with Scandinavians and chick cars?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/3528757.stm

A Volvo, derisively nicknamed the "Vulva" when it came out.

Joe "The Gaffe" would appreciate it as well, being that Volvos also sell at an unwarranted price point and attract similar lefty-loons as hybrid smugmobiles.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
$40k, $80k for a car?  I take it, they are not planning to sell to the common man.  I sure wouldn't pay that much for a car.  Heck, it will be in the junk heap before most of the people who buy one pay it off.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:46:38 PM »
If I ever pay that much for a car, it'll be a real car with a powerful engine, not some stripped down electric pile of junk.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
Sigh....the level of loonery boggles the mind.  The auto bidness is in the crapper because no one is buying any cars.  Part (probably most) of the reason why is the price....

So lets build a new car that will only go a couple hundred miles (if that) before a recharge and lets...ummmmm.....charge betwen 40 and 80 thousand for them.   Man, we're gonna sell a lot of those.  Biden's remark about it only being $40,000 shows how that fool is so out of touch.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
Nina? Karma?

Companies really ought to hire marketing people with more than 75 IQ points.

I thought that's the only kind they made...
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
I'm reminded when Kerry was campaigning, and made a campaign stop in Ohio.  The discussion got around to one of the Honda models, and he thought he'd score some points with the locals by deriding the Honda, in favor of American made cars.  That particular Honda was made right there in Ohio.

=D

grey54956

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
So, the gov't gave money, or at least a big loan, to Fisker, a foreign company, to set up a manufacturing facility here in the states to create hybrid vehicles that will compete with the hybrid vehicles that it wants GM to produce... GM, a company that gov't currently has an ownership stake in.

WTF? =|

Gov't is definitely shooting us all in the foot.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:31:35 AM »
Fiskar makes scissors and sewing needles.  A little bit of cutlery too from what I hear.  Obviously marketing to women with car names like that.

Not Fiskar. Fisker - As in Fisker Automotive:

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/

Jeebus.   ;/

Electric pile of junk?

Ok...  

http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/gallery/index

I don't get this "foreign company" angst, either.  It's ok to have Subaru/Toyota/Honda/VW building cars here, but not Fisker?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:39:13 AM »
Not Fiskar. Fisker - As in Fisker Automotive:

http://www.fiskerautomotive.com/

Well, that's interesting.  I have never heard of that company before.

Jeebus.   ;/

Electric pile of junk?

Ok...   

http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/gallery/index

I wouldn't go so far to call it a 'pile of junk', but who's going to buy it?  I don't understand the market for that car in that price range.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »
Gewehr98, some of us just like a car tall enough for us to get in and out of =(

:laugh:

edit: and i for one have learnt not to look at a preproduction draft(or even a running concept car) and expect it to look anything like the final product. :angel: anyone remember this thing? =D
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 11:33:31 AM by sanglant »

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »

edit: and i for one have learnt not to look at a preproduction draft(or even a running concept car) and expect it to look anything like the final product. :angel: anyone remember this thing? =D

Ah the Aztek....My brother worked as a contractor for GM in MI and he said that the Aztek was all over the place up there as a company car since GM wasn't able to sell them.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:47:44 PM »
Sanglat, you would've hated my Bradley GTII kit car.

It was 3'8" at the tallest portion.  You sat in F-16 style semi-reclining seats.   =D

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 02:03:40 PM »
I don't know, I think it's cool.  And it's the kind of car I'm looking at.

My Cobra is starting to get long in the tooth, so I'm looking to get another ride in about 2.5 years or so.  I like leather, I still want it to go kinda fast, although I'm less willing to sacrifice comfort as I was when I stuffed 500hp into my current car.  I've been looking at the new Taurus SHO (~$40,000) and keeping a close eye on the Tesla sedan (~$50,000).  If this thing could offer competitive luxury, usable performance, and price I'd take a look at it.  There's no rule that says the Big 3 have to be the ONLY American car companies.

The amount of Beemers, Lincolns, Lexus', Infiniti's, and Jags I see driving around Tampa would imply that lot's of folks are willing to spend $40k on a car.  Heck, with some options you can get an F-150 over $40k.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 02:29:41 PM »
Sanglat, you would've hated my Bradley GTII kit car.

It was 3'8" at the tallest portion.  You sat in F-16 style semi-reclining seats.   =D

actually, i wouldn't hate it, i would just hate trying to get in(or out) of it, :laugh: i have been wanting to build a cobra kit car since i starting driving =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 03:17:18 PM »
The Karma lookes like a Citreon and a Volkswagon thing had a one night stand and one of them got pregnant.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 05:25:53 PM »
Wollte Ich eine VolksDing zu haben...   =D

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 06:00:46 PM »
Wollte Ich eine VolksDing zu haben...   =D

Nein, wir haben die anderen drunter gekriegt!

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 06:02:09 PM »
Do these electronic cars come with a chip that makes a V-8 sound?

agricola

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »
Nina is a god-awful name for a car.  Also, any car that has "Stealth" marked on a dial within the car should really be torched by the nearest available mob. 

"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 08:15:44 PM »
Do these electronic cars come with a chip that makes a V-8 sound?

Actually Monkeyleg you are not that far off.

http://www.hybridcars.com/safety/hybrid-and-electric-cars-will-emit-vroomtones-26116.html
Hybrid and Electric Cars Will Emit Vroomtones

Published September 18, 2009

One day, drivers might download “vroomtones” for their cars, the way they download ringtones for cell phones today.

After years of complaints from blind pedestrians that ultra-quiet hybrid cars pose a safety threat, the auto industry is responding by producing on-board devices that emit sound. Nissan is considering using a high- pitched science fiction sound for its upcoming all-electric Nissan Leaf. The Fisker Karma luxury plug-in hybrid might use a sound halfway between a jet engine and an F1 racecar. And Volkswagen’s E-Up! concept car, described as “the Beetle for the 21st century,” might use the very 20th century sound of a common gas engine.

This is music to the ears of advocate organizations for blind people. In 2007, when hybrids starting taking off in the United States, The National Federation of the Blind called on automakers to set a minimum sound standard for hybrids. Earlier this year, The Japan Federation of the Blind submitted a request to Japan’s transportation ministry, the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association and the country’s carmakers to consider the issue. The ministry set up a committee that met in July and August, and will present recommendations by Dec. 31, according to Bloomberg.

Toshiyuki Tabata, Nissan’s noise and vibration expert, has been working on developing artificial car sounds for about three years. “We decided that if we’re going to do this, if we have to make sound, then we’re going to make it beautiful and futuristic,” he told Bloomberg. “We wanted something a bit different, something closer to the world of art,” said Tabata. The sound system would turn on automatically when the car starts and shut off when the vehicle reaches about 10 miles per hour. Nissan presented its sound system to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Sept. 3.

Yomiuri Shimbun, Japan's largest newspaper, reported that Toyota and Fujitsu Ten Ltd. will soon conduct its own experiment to try out various sounds to find "the right tune at the right volume so people are alerted but don't find the sound annoying." Japanese regulations say the sound can’t be mistaken for a horn. Toyota hybrids may begin using sound alert devices as soon as next year, and those cars might also include "radar" to recognize the presence of pedestrian.

Sensing a market opportunity, car electronics manufacturers are developing new noise devices. In 2008, Lotus, the British performance carmaker, unveiled a system dubbed "Safe and Sound," which generates an artificial noise mimicking a gas-powered combustion engine. Tokyo-based Data System Co. currently makes a device selling for about $140 that emits 16 different sounds including a cat’s meow, a “boing,” and a human voice saying, “Excuse me.”

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:13 PM »
Sigh.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
why are blind people wandering around in the road anyway? :angel:

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
why are blind people wandering around in the road anyway? :angel:

To get to the other side ??

=D ;/ :laugh:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.