Author Topic: Congressman: “I Don’t Worry About The Constitution”  (Read 6695 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
http://www.jackliberty.com/congressman-i-dont-worry-about-the-constitution/

Phil Hare is a congresscritter from IL.  The good part is at 0:45 and just after.  Actually the video is a good watch all the way through.  Congresscritter Hare also believes that the US Constitution says that he believes the US Constitution says "we have the right to Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."  Congresscritter Hare also states that he read the entire health care bill 3 times.

It is really sad that you have a congresscritter that cannot even get his basic facts right about which document says what.  :facepalm:

These people disgust me.   [barf]

I can only hope we have a change in this election season.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
8100 pages, 3 times.

24,300 pages.  Reading for comprehension, even with double-spaced 8.5x11 paper in legalese format, is at least 30 seconds per page.  That's 12,150 minutes.  Over 200 hours.

This guy hasn't been AWAKE for 200 hours yet since the bill was passed.  Let alone with his nose crammed in a stack of 8100 pages.

And... given his mastery of other legal prerequisite texts... can't read for comprehension at 30 seconds per page anyways.  Sounds like he could stand a semester in law school on Constitutional Law.

He'll get plenty of time to do that after November, though.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
We got a CD copy of the HC bill last summer from our congressman.

Not only was that version something like 1500 pages, but each section said: "insert/replace the following into Title xxx, section yyy. Part zzz, etc"

So you would have to read (and understand!) much more than the bill itself to have a clue what it means  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
8100 pages, 3 times.

24,300 pages.  Reading for comprehension, even with double-spaced 8.5x11 paper in legalese format, is at least 30 seconds per page.  That's 12,150 minutes.  Over 200 hours.

This guy hasn't been AWAKE for 200 hours yet since the bill was passed.  Let alone with his nose crammed in a stack of 8100 pages.

And... given his mastery of other legal prerequisite texts... can't read for comprehension at 30 seconds per page anyways.  Sounds like he could stand a semester in law school on Constitutional Law.

He'll get plenty of time to do that after November, though.
Reminds me of my buddy the day it got passed who said he had already read it and it wasn't that bad.
I could have sworn it wasn't public til after it was passed.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
 :facepalm:

An elected official uttering the phrase "I don't worry about the constitution" should be an automatic resignation of position.

sanglant

• friend
i call it treason :mad:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
I just like the look on his face when he realizes what he's just said - on camera.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Inor

• Just this guy
:facepalm:

An elected official uttering the phrase "I don't worry about the constitution" should be an automatic resignation of position.

Hopefully some of you legal guys can sort this out for me, but wouldn't a Rep saying "I don't worry about the Constitution" be along the same lines as lying under oath?  After all, he did take an oath to "protect and defend the CONSTITUTION!"

Or maybe taking an oath doesn't mean anything anymore?

Marnoot

• friend
Latest I've read has him saying what he meant ( ;/) was that he's not worried about the constitution in that he doesn't think the healthcare bill is unconstitutional. But when the tea partier asks him where in the constitution power is given to congress to pass health-care, he says "I don't know."

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Not only was that version something like 1500 pages, but each section said: "insert/replace the following into Title xxx, section yyy. Part zzz, etc"

All laws need to be put into a git or mercurial repository, and all new bills need to be in the form of changesets, rather than words that require humans to go look up the original laws to find out what's changing.

Suppose a new version of a multi-thousand-page bill comes out 1 day before a vote, and the creator promises the only changes are on pages 500, 750, and 1000.  No way to verify that without scanning both versions and comparing them (after finding and fixing ocr typos), and THEN creating a diff.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Congressman: “I Don’t Worry About The Constitution”
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 07:27:36 PM »
It wasn't just revisions to a previous version of the bill.

Rather it is changes to existing laws that you would have to go look up.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P5 Guy

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
Aside from Dr Ron Paul which other member of the House or Senate does care about the Constitution?

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:26 PM »
Aside from Dr Ron Paul which other member of the House or Senate does care about the Constitution?
Michele Bachmann (R-MN)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
what we really need is a law(i know =() that if a new law is changing part of a old law. the old law is simply void and the new law replaces it. no more changes this line garbage just it is now .......   [popcorn] but then we would end up with laws a layman could understand, so that will never happen. [tinfoil]

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »
It wasn't just revisions to a previous version of the bill.

Rather it is changes to existing laws that you would have to go look up.

I know.  The point is that if existing laws were in a repository, ALL bills would effectively be changesets.  And you could quickly and easily see what those changes are rather than requiring a human or a custom program to go dig through existing laws and find the relevant portion to give you a before-and-after diff.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 10:58:21 PM »
I know.  The point is that if existing laws were in a repository, ALL bills would effectively be changesets.  And you could quickly and easily see what those changes are rather than requiring a human or a custom program to go dig through existing laws and find the relevant portion to give you a before-and-after diff.

But where could .gov find such complex and arcane software? (CVS) It would take decades of development and 100s of billions of dollars to implement such a wild & crazy idea. (or get is free-as-in-free-beer-from-gnu)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 11:17:27 AM »

There's a congressman from Tennessee who has a 100% "constitutionally correct" rating from the John Birch Society.

Out of two: the other one is Ron Paul.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 06:41:16 PM »
But where could .gov find such complex and arcane software? (CVS) It would take decades of development and 100s of billions of dollars to implement such a wild & crazy idea. (or get is free-as-in-free-beer-from-gnu)

CVS?  That's heresy!  Getteth thee away, Devil!

All the cool kids use git or mercurial.  Maybe SVN if something makes sense as a centralized project.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

Inor

• Just this guy
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 08:32:06 PM »

All the cool kids use git or mercurial.  Maybe SVN if something makes sense as a centralized project.

But... SVN is built on top of CVS.   =D  I'm just sayin'

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 10:26:05 PM »
Yep, From the state that brought you Roland Burris, Dick Durbin, Rod Blagojevich, George Ryan, Dan Rostenkowski, and BARAK OBAMA !!!!

:facepalm: [barf]
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »
Ha-ha.  You do not know how to spell the President's name.   :P

It's Barak Hussein Obama.   :lol:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:11 AM »
Ha-ha.  You do not know how to spell the President's name.   :P

It's Barak Hussein Obama.   :lol:
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
    • TFL Library
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

My first instinct was to suggest RCS.  :lol:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton