Author Topic: H.R. 5741: Universal National Service Act  (Read 3580 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
H.R. 5741: Universal National Service Act
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-5741

To require all persons in the United States between the ages of 18 and 42 to perform national service, either as a member of the uniformed services or in civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, to authorize the induction of persons in the uniformed services during wartime to meet end-strength requirements of the uniformed services, and for other purposes.

The above bill was introduced by the alleged tax cheat Mr. Rangel.  It has no co-sponsors, so it probably is dead. 
Three things of note:  1)  If a Congresscritter is under major ethics investigation, should they be allowed to introduce legislation.  2)  At the end of the proposed bill it changes the SSA from just male to both male and female.  3)  IIRC wasn't one of Obama's platforms to end the wars?  This seems to be indicating the opposite.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: H.R. 5741: Universal National Service Act
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 04:27:54 PM »
These days, I'm all for burning draft cards down on Main Street  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 05:07:40 PM »
Getting this bill slapped down is Rangel's favorite pastime.  It's probably the fifteenth attempt.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
Getting this bill slapped down is Rangel's favorite pastime.  It's probably the fifteenth attempt.
Yeah, I was thinking someone introduces this every year.  They have this idea that our VOLUNTEER army is racist or something as it has too many poor people and minorities. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking someone introduces this every year.  They have this idea that our VOLUNTEER army is racist or something as it has too many poor people and minorities. 

That may be what they say in public, but I think their real motivation is simply to prevent us from having an effective military option on the table regarding foreign policy.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 10:31:31 PM »
Within days of the Annointed One's inauguration, some nutjob proposed eliminating the Presidential term limits. Promptly died in commitee.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:28:50 AM »
And here I thought it might be about eliminating the sexism currently present in the draft/militia laws.

Oh well...   [popcorn]

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:19 AM »

The above bill was introduced by the alleged tax cheat Mr. Rangel.  It has no co-sponsors, so it probably is dead. 
Three things of note:  1)  If a Congresscritter is under major ethics investigation, should they be allowed to introduce legislation.  2)  At the end of the proposed bill it changes the SSA from just male to both male and female.  3)  IIRC wasn't one of Obama's platforms to end the wars?  This seems to be indicating the opposite.

I do agree that both men and women should have to register and if need be, drafted.   Not that I particularly support either, but if you're going to do so, I want some equality.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
I do agree that both men and women should have to register and if need be, drafted.   Not that I particularly support either, but if you're going to do so, I want some equality.

I agree with that though as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 02:36:34 PM »

As much as I disagree with the idea of a mixed *fighting* force(for reasons which we have discussed at length on APS), I think it's reasonable to say that equal sacrifices must accompany the "gains" made by the feminism/equality/womens' liberation movement.

On the actual bill and its sponsor, it's a Bad Idea put forth by a Bad Man.  Rangel's voters, though, get what they deserve each time they re-elect the scumbag.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 03:10:44 PM »
Equal opportunity oppression and tyranny!   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 10:04:05 PM »
hmm, just an idea. but i say each week we should hold a national lottery with 537 winners. each winner is assigned an elected official. and issued a nice big cane(if the winner is disabled, a taser), and given 10 minutes to whip some sense into the elected official they have been assigned. [popcorn]

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
hmm, just an idea. but i say each week we should hold a national lottery with 537 winners. each winner is assigned an elected official. and issued a nice big cane(if the winner is disabled, a taser), and given 10 minutes to whip some sense into the elected official they have been assigned. [popcorn]

I want Pelosi, Reid or Boxer.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 10:42:55 AM »

At the moment, I think our country would be better off if the 537 winners just replaced the elected officials. 

I still think the best way of electing the President would be to throw a dart at a map of the US.  Drop someone from an aircraft at that approximate location.  Give that person a nerf ball.  Whoever is the first person pegged with the nerf ball becomes the President, whether they want to or not.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2010, 10:49:34 AM »
At the moment, I think our country would be better off if the 537 winners just replaced the elected officials. 

I still think the best way of electing the President would be to throw a dart at a map of the US.  Drop someone from an aircraft at that approximate location.  Give that person a nerf ball.  Whoever is the first person pegged with the nerf ball becomes the President, whether they want to or not.

It certainly could not be any worse than the current system  =(

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 11:24:42 AM »

Prager loves to quote... William Buckley, IIRC: "I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

Yeah, but to preserve the tradition of the electoral college, we would have to use a weighted map such as:

http://election.princeton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/electoral-map-5nov08.png

:D

P5 Guy

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 12:06:39 PM »
YES! Great idea! Take every person from their family, on their 18th birthday away into National Service!
Do they get nice light brown shirts too :facepalm: