Author Topic: Insta-blame for Bush over Katrina, but Kentucky...Obama?  (Read 8869 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Insta-blame for Bush over Katrina, but Kentucky...Obama?
« on: February 01, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »
MSM...*crickets*

Funny, they jumped all over Bush as soon as Katrina blew past. But...

MURRAY, Ky. (AP) - Utility crews renewed work in subfreezing temperatures Saturday in their effort to put the power back on for nearly a million customers left in the dark by an ice storm that crippled parts of several states this week.

Thousands of people in ice-caked Kentucky awoke in motels and shelters, asked to leave their homes by authorities who said emergency teams in some areas were too strapped to reach everyone in need of food, water and warmth.

A 20-degree temperature boost was forecast across much of the region, a boon to the power crews but one that carried with it the threat of flooding.

Dozens of deaths have been reported and many people are pleading for a faster response to the power outages. About 536,000 homes and businesses across Kentucky were without power, down from more than 600,000 the largest outage in state history, surpassing the damage last year from the remnants of Hurricane Ike.

The outages disabled water systems in much of the western part of the state, where some in rural areas resorted to dipping buckets in a creek. Authorities warned it could be days or weeks before power was restored in the most remote spots.

That uncertainty had many appealing for help. Officials issued curfews Friday and urged those in dark homes to leave.

"We're asking people to pack a suitcase and head south and find a motel if they have the means, because we can't service everybody in our shelter," said Crittenden County Judge-Executive Fred Brown, who oversees about 9,000 people, many of whom spent a fifth night sleeping in the town's elementary school.

Local officials grew angrier at what they said was a lack of help from the state and the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

In Kentucky's Grayson County, about 80 miles southwest of Louisville, Emergency Management Director Randell Smith said the 25 National Guardsmen who have responded have no chain saws to clear fallen trees. He said roads are littered with fallen trees and people shivering in bone-chilling cold are in need.

"We've got people out in some areas we haven't even visited yet," Smith said. "We don't even know that they're alive."

Smith said FEMA was still a no-show days after the storm.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090131/D9625U781.html

Come on, MSM guys, it's Obama's fault, right? Where's Obama's press conferences? Where's the mobilization? He didn't land there. You did it to Bush, so...?

Standing Wolf

• friend
Re: Insta-blame for Bush over Katrina, but Kentucky...Obama?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 10:44:50 PM »
You did it to Bush, so...?

Well, yeah, but it's still Bush's fault, because he caused global warming.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 10:45:26 PM »
Obviously it is Bush's fault because Obama hasn't had time to fix his mistakes yet.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:09 PM »
Nah. Obama didn't hear about it because he was working in the Oval Office in his shirtsleeves with the thermostat at 80.

"Cold? What cold?"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »
No one blamed Bush for the Midwestern floods that happened last summer. Maybe because people in Iowa and Missouri know how to fend for themselves and also help their fellow man out instead of looting and blaming other people. Something tells me the folks of Kentucky are cut of the same cloth as the Midwesterners.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »
Nah. Obama didn't hear about it because he was working in the Oval Office in his shirtsleeves with the thermostat at 80.

"Cold? What cold?"

"But don't forget, you peon, that you are supposed to turn your thermostat down, wear a sweater, pump your tires up, and buy a Prius. For the environment!"

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:54:52 AM »
No one blamed Bush for the Midwestern floods that happened last summer. Maybe because people in Iowa and Missouri know how to fend for themselves and also help their fellow man out instead of looting and blaming other people. Something tells me the folks of Kentucky are cut of the same cloth as the Midwesterners.

A higher percentage than New Orleans, perhaps.  But plenty of folks in Kentucky had taken no precautions.  But have no problem gripping at the Guard for not getting everything instantly fixed.  Each and every single National Guardsman has been called up in Kentucky and is hard at work.  Problem, lack of equipment.  They're not nearly as well geared as they should be for domestic emergencies.  But, they're soldiers.  They're improvising and getting stuff done regardless.  Just at lesser efficiency than otherwise possible.

Lots of folks didn't keep more than a couple days of food, no stocked water, no flashlights (?!), etc etc.  My favorite was a buddy of mine who commented that some folks do not keep a serious toilet paper stash handy, because they can always just ran out to the store... 

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wquay

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:29 AM »
No comment on the media blame-game. But comparing this to Katrina is weak. Just going by body count, 1,836 confirmed casualties for Katrina (Wikipedia) vs "dozens of deaths" for this.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:27:19 AM »

"Cold? What cold?"

Yet more "do as I say, not as I do" from our betters in power.  Dissapointed, but not surprised.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:56:56 AM »
"But don't forget, you peon, that you are supposed to turn your thermostat down, wear a sweater, pump your tires up, and buy a Prius. For the environment!"

The correct term is "prole".

Man I need to read 1984 again.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
I don't recall Bush getting blamed for Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike either.  I also don't remember people in Mississippi blaming Bush either.  It might just have something to do with competent state and local leadership?  Nah, that is too much of a stretch.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 09:17:30 AM »
I don't recall Bush getting blamed for Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Ike either.  I also don't remember people in Mississippi blaming Bush either.  It might just have something to do with competent state and local leadership?  Nah, that is too much of a stretch.

You don't remember the MSM throwing a fit about him eating a cake, Condi buying shoes, all of that?

DeaconKharma

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
http://www.whitehouse.gov/agenda/additional/

“President Obama will keep the broken promises made by President Bush to rebuild New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. He and Vice President Biden will take steps to ensure that the federal government will never again allow such catastrophic failures

Oops? I guess no contact from FEMA is not a catastrophic failure?
Or maybe it's only when it comes to New Orleans?

lone_gunman

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 10:48:45 AM »
You don't remember the MSM throwing a fit about him eating a cake, Condi buying shoes, all of that?

No I don't remember that, nor can I find anything about it by googling.

The comment about Condi buying shoes is especially interesting, since the Sec of State doesn't have anything to do with domestic disasters.  I hope you can provide a reference.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:17 AM »
No I don't remember that, nor can I find anything about it by googling.

The comment about Condi buying shoes is especially interesting, since the Sec of State doesn't have anything to do with domestic disasters.  I hope you can provide a reference.

Um..did you try "condi shoes" in the blank?

Got to work on that google fu there...

john828

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009, 11:00:26 AM »
I remember.  I think she was in NY buying shoes, Fifth Ave perhaps? 

How does that prevent the media, who was hellbent to print anything negative about the administration, from dodging objectivity for once?  Most people would just see her as a high-powered official asleep at the wheel. 

Want a reference?

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2005/09/01/615/28014

Google is your friend.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 11:47:27 AM »
The correct term is "prole".

Man I need to read 1984 again.....

Ditto. Hell, I need to buy a new copy. The one I read (a long time ago...) belongs to my parents, and was falling apart the last time I saw it IIRC...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

lone_gunman

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:03 PM »
Well the link you provided just seems to be some sort of left wing blog to me.  I was actually looking for something from the mainstream media, since the mainstream media was being accused of promoting this story.  I can't seem to find anything but blog articles and stuff from other radically left wing sources.  So can you actually provide some evidence that the mainstream media carried this story???

john828

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 12:27:56 PM »
You'll have to dig a little deeper into the blogs and look for their sources, i.e., New York Post, (NY) Daily News, Washington Post, etc.  It is all right there.  The mainstream press only had to post a few short stories, and then the bloggers took off and ran with it--that ended the MSM's need to continue their mission.
My initial thought [for your next purchase] was to get a .22 lr or .22 mag but as you have one or five, I’d advise you purchase Spell Check---
~z

lone_gunman

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
OK.  I sure wish I could find a source in the mainstream though.  Til then, I can't acknowledge there is any truth to the story.

john828

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 12:36:07 PM »
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2007/12/condi_rice_shops_til_she_jets.html  (a blog in a MSM)

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,168440,00.html  (last paragraph)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4394815.ece

Not to be an ass, lone_gunman, but these should be a start, but if you still need some proof, I can probably give you about 50 more, maybe even a hundred.
~z

lone_gunman

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »
So the only people really criticizing her about the shoe shopping thing was left wing bloggers.  The Mainstream media made reference to the bloggers it seems, and not the other way around as was originally implied here.

john828

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
OK.  I sure wish I could find a source in the mainstream though.  Til then, I can't acknowledge there is any truth to the story.

So the only people really criticizing her about the shoe shopping thing was left wing bloggers.  The Mainstream media made reference to the bloggers it seems, and not the other way around as was originally implied here.

So can you acknowledge the truth of the story?  Regardless of who scooped the story, the MSM acknowledge it, Rice never denied it and this whole pissing match is over.
~z

lone_gunman

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2009, 01:18:36 PM »
It doesnt sound like there is any story to acknowledge.  Some left wing bloggers commented on Rice buying shoes during Katrina.  Rice did not deny it.  The media made reference to the bloggers.  I don't see how this translates into any type of Rice bashing.

Impure Client

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2009, 05:44:03 PM »
Geez...I've been seeing this guy get at everybody on here and can't figure out
why you don't realize  HE IS  one of the left wing nuts you are talking about.

What are we taught at Internet 101?......DNFTT
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll