Author Topic: MMA Fighter defends family with training  (Read 3517 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
MMA Fighter defends family with training
« on: January 10, 2014, 03:16:42 PM »
MMA fighter Joe Torrez defends himself and his family against 4 home invaders with just his MMA skills.  He kills one low life and severely breaks the jaw of another low life, the other 2 tuck tail and run.  He is awaiting the completion of the Sheriff's office investigation to see if he is going to be charged.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mma-fighter-may-face-charges-fighting-off-four-153200150--mma.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

SADShooter

• friend
Re: MMA Fighter defends family with training
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
I don't care if you're the love child of Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme (who obviously has the hips for it) standing unarmed between your family and four attackers is self-defense.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 06:03:27 PM »
He had a knife, so I don't know how unarmed he was....

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »

I did't see that in the article that I posted.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
If this is the incident I've read about a couple of days ago, the knife was one he took from one of the attackers and then returned point/edge first.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:48 PM »
The attackers weren't wearing hoodies were they?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 07:33:27 PM »

As I read it, two of the aggressors had knives.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 09:54:22 PM »
Wrong house it would seem.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 10:00:18 PM »
Good thing he wasn't using a gun. Someone might have been killed.

Oh, wait.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10:44 PM »
Actually, right house according to the article. I'm sure a big part of the police investigation will be determining how the combatants knew each other.
AKA Navy Joe   

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 10:19:30 PM »
Sounds like it might of been some sort of gang thing. Article mentions them moving from fear of a reprisal.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 10:35:48 AM »

I suppose he had two arms like most people.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
What is it with these MMA fighters?

I remember this story from a few years ago. We were watching the PVP of that fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Hours-before-biggest-fight-of-his-life-Jones-an?urn=mma-wp309
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
I thought I heard somewhere else that they knew whose home it was, but thought they were not there.  Honestly, I can't understand why they would break in with only knives if they knew. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 02:03:05 PM »
So are there MMA forums where they discuss the best unarmed fighting techniques for home defense  ???

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 02:21:55 PM »
So are there MMA forums where they discuss the best unarmed fighting techniques for home defense  ???

=D

Yes, it is called beat the living *expletive deleted* out of the home invader.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 04:58:59 PM »
More fun on our side. Two stories that I can't find in the news, one was a couple of thugs attempted to stick up a Filipino gentleman. Who just happened to be an IPSC grandmaster. Oops.

The other is a crusty old retired Gunner's Mate who still shows up to shoot military matches. He was in the process of interstate travel to a match when a convenience store he was in got held up. Also a civilian LEO in a rough large city. Anyway, 3 dead robbers later he still made it to the matches.
AKA Navy Joe   

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 05:08:56 PM »
More fun on our side. Two stories that I can't find in the news, one was a couple of thugs attempted to stick up a Filipino gentleman. Who just happened to be an IPSC grandmaster. Oops.

The other is a crusty old retired Gunner's Mate who still shows up to shoot military matches. He was in the process of interstate travel to a match when a convenience store he was in got held up. Also a civilian LEO in a rough large city. Anyway, 3 dead robbers later he still made it to the matches.

i love happy endings
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
What is it with these MMA fighters?

I remember this story from a few years ago. We were watching the PVP of that fight.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Hours-before-biggest-fight-of-his-life-Jones-an?urn=mma-wp309

I'm actually surprised its not more common with the huge popularity of MMA, and the numbers of people training in this type of fighting.

In the OP article, I think there is only 1 thing the guy did wrong- he should have called the police when he got the threatening call, OTOH,when people get calls like that, its usually because they are involved in some criminal activity already.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 03:20:56 PM »
I'm actually surprised its not more common with the huge popularity of MMA, and the numbers of people training in this type of fighting.

In the OP article, I think there is only 1 thing the guy did wrong- he should have called the police when he got the threatening call, OTOH,when people get calls like that, its usually because they are involved in some criminal activity already.

"But are they actually doing anything right now?"  "No?  Well, call us back if they start actually doing something."

Five (5) SCOTUS cases that say the cops do not have to show up to prevent a crime, let alone to attend* one in progress.

stay safe.

* - Lurvs me that British term.  So polite and dignified.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:42:08 PM »
I don't think this guy will be charged. Unless he's one o' them white Hispanics.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
Yes, it is called beat the living *expletive deleted* out of the home invader.

Yeah, but doesn't it help if you tape a red dot sight or a flashlight to your arm?   :P