Main Forums > The Mess Hall

How are you guys cooking turkeys this year?

(1/8) > >>

41magsnub:
Well?

I will be roasting in the pellet grill at 350.  Probably splatchcocked (fun word!).  I'm debating smoking it at 180 for a few hours before cranking up the heat for a little more smoke flavor, at 350 you get little or no smoke flavor.  It burns too cleanly.

We went ghetto and bought a butterball pre-brined 20lb bird.

K Frame:
Splatch?

I've always heard it Spatch... No L.

It looks like I'm eating with friends this year. If previous years are any indication, they'll do one smoked on the grill and another in the oven.

"We went ghetto and bought a butterball pre-brined 20lb bird."

You're a monster...

I have a 12-15 pounder in my freezer I got after the new year's sales. I've been thinking that I want to cook it on the Weber, but I'm most likely going to do a classic stuffed bird in the oven. I'll probably do it in a couple of weeks, in between T-giving and Christmas so that I have some meat and gravy and ancillary leftovers for pie and stock and the like.

charby:
We're not going to be around for Thanksgiving, so I'll probably roast a turkey on Christmas.

I got a 12# bird in the freezer I picked up the other day when I bought a ham (buy the ham, get a free turkey).

I'll just roast it in the oven in a oven bag. Wife isn't a big fan of spicy things, so it will be pretty plain Jane, salt and pepper with a bit of olive oil. Oven bag makes sure you have a nice moist bird.

makattak:
I got rave reviews for my bird last year (first time I'd cooked a turkey), so we've had requests to do it again.

I'll be injecting butter into it. (And rub with salt and pepper). That's all.

WOW, was it good last year. (To toot my own horn)

zxcvbob:
Whatever frozen turkeys I can find that's the cheapest (preliminary search, Butterball for 99¢ lb).  I'll put it in the electric roaster Thursday morning.  Takes about 4 hours, or maybe 5 if it goes in still frozen.  When it comes out, the skin on top needs a little work with a heat gun to brown it :D

Not sure yet what we'll have for sides; maybe sweet potatoes cooked with bananas and a little butter, and steamed broccoli.  

It's just Wife and me and the 2 dogs, so I don't want to do anything elaborate.  (the previously-mentioned tamales will be made the weekend after Turkey Day)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version