Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Brown Sugar Substitute

(1/3) > >>

Ben:
It's raining cats and dogs today, so I decided to make some oatmeal blueberry cookies. The recipe calls for 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/3 cup brown sugar. I was out of brown sugar.

I ended up using 2/3 cup of raw sugar and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup. It's one of my best batches from this recipe. I'm going to start substituting that in other stuff as well just to see what happens.

zxcvbob:
Glad it worked.  I would probably use a slightly rounded 1/2 cup of plain white sugar and a tablespoon (maybe two) of molasses.

Ben:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on January 09, 2018, 01:33:21 PM ---Glad it worked.  I would probably use a slightly rounded 1/2 cup of plain white sugar and a tablespoon (maybe two) of molasses.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, when I looked it up, the recommendation was for molasses, but I didn't have any of that either.  :laugh:

The molasses substitute was maple syrup, with the caveat that it would impart a different flavor. It just happened to be a flavor that I ended up liking. Though my understanding is that raw sugar has some molasses still in it.

K Frame:
Many times I've run short of brown sugar and used white sugar and molasses. Interesting take on the maple syrup, though. I'm going to have to give that a try.

Scout26:
I always thought Brown sugar is simply white sugar still with molasses.

Maple syrup is molasses with sugar (and other "stuff")  still in it. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version