Main Forums > The Mess Hall

what to make with canned carrots

(1/4) > >>

zxcvbob:
I'm slowly cleaning out the freezer and the pantry.  (we had a wonderful pot-roast this weekend from a beef chuck roast that'd been in the freezer since beef was cheap)  I found two (15 oz) cans of sliced carrots, about 5 years old.  I'm not sure that I've ever eaten canned carrots; I assume they are mushy.  What's the best way to fix them?

Drain and maybe rinse, then...  serve in a cream sauce?  Mash them with potatoes for a side dish?  Some kind of carrot soup with chicken stock and lots of cayenne pepper?  Blend them up into a bizarre carrot cake? 

I could just throw them out or feed them to the dog, but what's the challenge in that?

just Warren:
Do up a kabob. Slide all the slices, biggest first, onto a skewer and once that's done put a nice piece of greenery at the bigger end. Some kind of herb, or a bit of lettuce and serve! 

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Warren on January 22, 2018, 11:46:19 PM ---Do up a kabob. Slide all the slices, biggest first, onto a skewer and once that's done put a nice piece of greenery at the bigger end. Some kind of herb, or a bit of lettuce and serve! 

--- End quote ---

You mean reassemble them into a carrot?   ;/

K Frame:
5 years old?

You throw them out, run them down the disposal, or put them in the compost heap.

5 years is about the absolute maximum for low-acid canned goods like carrots. It's even shorter for acidic canned goods.

If you're really intent on using them, and they taste OK, about the only use I've ever found for canned carrots is pureeing them and either adding to soup, or making a spiced carrot soup.

charby:
Carrot cake/bread or puree & use them to sweeten tomato sauces.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version