Author Topic: The Global Cooling  (Read 1156 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Global Cooling
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/07/02/are-scientists-preparing-for-a-flipflop-back-to-global-cooling-predictions/

I want to hear more about this. Whatever we're doing to cool the globe, let's do more of it. Christmas year-round, baby!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
Re: The Global Cooling
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
Might be your lucky century. The scientists who came up with an algorithm that neatly fits the sun's past activity say it is going to get cool.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »
Do we start taxing companies that don't produce enough CO2? Reverse carbon credits, maybe?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 05:22:14 PM »
DAMMIT!
I've done my part. I want my global warming!
I want palm trees in Oklahoma.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 08:41:03 PM »
With all the Sky Is Falling panic over the last 20 years from global warming, I wonder how many of these people have any credibility left.  I will wait and see what government action they start proposing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:47:48 PM »
4th of July in the Midwest is usually hotter than a popcorn fart. Wife and I took a bicycle ride this morning in long sleeves. Slept with the windows open and a blanket on last night. We haven't used air conditioning for almost a week.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 08:39:14 AM »
In the last week or two of June, we had a long stretch of days in the high 90s, and got almost to 100. That would be normal for July/August, but seemed a little odd for June. So far, July has been torrential down-pours, with temperatures getting down into the 70s, and even the 60s at night.

I'll take a rainy Independence Day over a hot one, anytime.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:56:17 AM »
In the last week or two of June, we had a long stretch of days in the high 90s, and got almost to 100. That would be normal for July/August, but seemed a little odd for June. So far, July has been torrential down-pours, with temperatures getting down into the 70s, and even the 60s at night.

I'll take a rainy Independence Day over a hot one, anytime.

We had around two weeks of 100+ here. It's cooling to the mid-low 90s this week. In general we don't have it as bad in these parts as you guys back East do humidity-wise. Except for me, because the corn is getting irrigated and it basically creates a 10" deep swamp that surrounds the house. After heating up all day, the water can easily create a localized heat index of 110+ by five or six o'clock. Can't wait till September, when the dang stuff gets cut down.

Not climate related of course. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 10:27:12 AM »
But it is really really cold somewhere else so it all averages out.   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 11:40:17 AM »
Which of our sinful modern world activities are responsible for changing the ocean currents?
What we have here is failure to communicate.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
Might be your lucky century. The scientists who came up with an algorithm that neatly fits the sun's past activity say it is going to get cool.

What algorithm?  All you have to do is look at a graph of proxy temperatures over the last half-million years.  It's a "noisy" graph, but shows quite a few major regular cycles.

The "noise" is what fooled all those scientists into thinking it's a long-term warming, with accurate direct temperature samples taken only over a couple of hundred years.

Looking at the regular long-term cycles themselves, it looks like we're probably going (slooowly) into one of the global cooling events despite the usual short-term blips and bumps.  This has been obvious for a long time, and I remember "popular" articles predicting a new ice age a-coming back in the '50s and '60s.  (Before "scientists" started pandering to "politically-correct meteorology.")

Gee, maybe it's a good thing that we're pumping greenhouse gases into the air, huh?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.