Author Topic: Take over the ATF?  (Read 4168 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Take over the ATF?
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:32:51 PM »
Has anyone ever considered waging a grass-roots campaign to get GOOD people to outweigh bad people in the ATF, and replace the culture there with law-abiding men and women of good character?

I no longer accept the "not everyone is bad" excuse that often gets floated.  That place is rotten to the core.  Anyone that isn't corrupt... isn't corrupt YET.

Something like:
-Gun stores actively work to get their customers interested in working for ATF (post ATF job openings at a clearly visible place)
-NRA scholarships for Jr competitive shooters that work in Federal law enforcement, especially the ATF
-A blatant marketing campaign to demean current ATF employees and call for change-over
-Cato/SAF/NRA-ILA scholarships for lawyers who choose to work for ATF/FBI/DEA
-well respected gunsmiths working in the Technology Branch

Imagine if the ATF were fully infiltrated by 2A advocates.  Really.  Imagine it.  We'd finally get:
-admission that the MG registry is flawed and inaccurate
-procedural integrity in the technology branch
-no more BS make-work prosecutions of nonviolent folks
-A much more respectful stance towards gun shows and private party sales
-No more institutionalized push to creep on civil liberties

What would it take to make this a reality?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Take over the ATF?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »

A unicorn ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 01:01:45 PM »
Never gonna happen. There's too much systemic corruption
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 01:10:02 PM »
^^^^^^^
This along with the fact it being a "Good Ole Boys Club."

Not what you know but who you know and blow.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:05 PM »
New guys have no authority to do anything, certainly not to make law. It would take at least a decade for the most successful guy to have any impact, IMO.
A quick check on the ATF page shows that they're hiring for only two positions - and both are budget-related. You need significant turnover to get enough people in to make a difference. You can't infiltrate places that aren't hiring. You don't need 50% of the agency to believe pro-2A, just a small group - maybe 5% of very intelligent people who have the wherewithal to climb the ranks and get to a position to make policy changes.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
Don't forget even the most loyal subject to 2A can only go as far as the law allows that Congress enacts.  That is where we can make changes.  We need to start getting people that are pro 2A more involved and begin to make it a bigger issue than it is.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 02:02:46 PM »
I'm betting that there is psychological testing done before hiring.
Things like the willingness to follow orders is likely to rate high.
Being an outright sociopath is probably a bonus as well.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 03:20:29 PM »
^^^^^^^
This along with the fact it being a "Good Ole Boys Club."

Not what you know but who you know and blow.

Having held two different fed.gov civilian positions, and just having applied for another......this.  You don't get a fed.gov job unless: 1 The Selecting Official knows you 2.) you're a disabled vet and there's no one the SO knows on the list, or 3.) there's no one the SO knows on the list and your last name begins with "A".  It really is pretty fixed.

And DOJ is worse about it then DOD from what I've heard.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:23 PM »
So, it's going to take electing a conservative President, nominating a pro 2nd director willing to have a massive blood letting in firing 90%+ of the staff and agents....  I think that pigs flying and Soros supporting conservative causes would be more likely to happen first.  Scrap the dept!
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »
Has anyone ever considered waging a grass-roots campaign to get GOOD people to outweigh bad people in the ATF government, and replace the culture there with law-abiding men and women of good character?

This is a good question but not really a political question.  In my view it would take a culture in which honor and virtue and responsibility were inculcated from the cradle.  We still have that culture in America, but it is now a sub-culture and unlikely to ever again become the predominant culture of current America given popular values and shifting demographics.  This sub-culture might form the basis of a new, smaller America here or somewhere else.  It will take nothing less than some form of Great Awakening, if it happens at all.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »
Abolishing the BATF is a bad idea - because abolishing BATFE does not equal abolishing NFA. You'll just waste effort and shift enforcement elsewhere.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
It should be abolished, not toned down to a friendlier ATF.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 12:49:29 AM »
A genuinely pro-gun person would never work for BATFE.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 10:23:07 AM »
You don't get a fed.gov job unless: 1 The Selecting Official knows you 2.) you're a disabled vet and there's no one the SO knows on the list, or 3.) there's no one the SO knows on the list and your last name begins with "A".

He's got it.

There are probably ATF jobs open that aren't posted where you can get to them, too. We were required to post the jobs for the NPS online...but our administrators made sure to hide them so no one could find them through the normal USAJobs search.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 03:57:18 PM »
The ATF is about guns, not about criminals; therein lies the rub.  It needs to justify its existence as an entity separate from standard law enforcement.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 02:39:20 AM »
A genuinely pro-gun person would never work for BATFE.

A genuinely pro-gun person or a person with integrity would never work for the BATFEces.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »

A unicorn ?   

Actually, you only need the pixie dust from ground unicorn horns.  =(

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »
Occupy ATF
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.