Author Topic: Paper-thin super material stops flying bullets  (Read 1932 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Paper-thin super material stops flying bullets
« on: November 16, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/14/paper-thin-super-material-stops-flying-bullets/?intcmp=obinsite

The type of material, called a structured polymer composite, can actually self-assemble into alternating glassy and rubbery layers. When performing ballistic tests on the material at MIT's Institute for Soldier Nanotechnologies, those 20-nanometer-thick layers were able to stop a 9-millimeter bullet and seal the entryway behind it, according to a Rice University article.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/11/14/paper-thin-super-material-stops-flying-bullets/?intcmp=obinsite#ixzz2CPHCq9oY
This looks pretty interesting.  If it were thin enough and light enough, it might provide better protection for arms and legs also.  I imagine anything that can reduce the weight of body armor or provide better protection would be welcome.  Face and head protection might be good also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Paper-thin super material stops flying bullets
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »
Even if it got dented and you got knocked on your back, it would be handy if you thought that woman was planning to shoot your captain again  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:04:05 PM »
 :facepalm: :laugh:

Now, I'll be down in the gutter all weekend.  I guess that would be h........umm useful.  

I was thinking more along the lines of motorcycle style helmets that would be bullet or shrapnell proof.  Goggles at a minimum.  A lot of the SciFi books have soldiers with full helmets that have ballistic protection along with hearing and respiratory protection and communications.  I guess armored space suits are only a step away from that.  

I would also be curious what the properties would be of something like that scaled up to vehicle armor.  Would it be effective against large munitions or could it be used in addition to heavier armor.  Too early to tell I guess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 06:18:38 PM »
You'd still need something to dissapate the kinetic energy, or you'll have a heck of a blunt-trauma injury....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 08:22:08 PM »
Language fail (not surprising, given a mix of scientists and "journalists").

If the membrane stopped the bullet ... how is there any hole to heal?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
It's not really paper thin btw.
And what has to be dissapated isn't kinetic energy, it's momentum.  if I fling you at 60mph into a brick wall, your kinetic energy is dissapated completely, but the change in momentum (impulse, or force integrated over time) is what kills you.  You can reduce the blunt trauma in two ways, spreading it out (lower pressure) or spreading it out in time by absorbing the momentum over a distance.  Ballistic vests use both, though your body provides the distance for the latter.  Theoretically, an infinitely stiff, material would reduce the pressure the most, but then the energy would be deposited into the material locally, and melt it.  It's a trade off.  These materials show promise for some applications, mainly hard armor.  For soft armor, shear thickening fluid impregnated cloths show significant promise as they can supply both stiffness and elasticity as required.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:58 PM »
Hard armor is what I was thinking of.  If you could make the hard plates lighter and/or thinner, it opens up a lot more flexibility in designing armor to cover more parts of the body better. 

Even better if it can be done cheaper. 

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 12:14:58 AM »
Heck, my ex-wife's homemade pizza dough had many of the same qualities.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 12:39:20 AM »
If this turns out to be a useable thing in the field and typical small-arms rounds can be stopped by it what does that mean for infantry combat? Do we go back to using sharp or pointy sticks up close in order to jam said point through a gap in the armor too small to be seen or exploited at a distance?

Bigger rounds out of bigger guns? Smaller, faster rounds?

More grenades? Other blast-radius devices?

Dinosaurs?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2012, 07:24:23 AM »
If this turns out to be a useable thing in the field and typical small-arms rounds can be stopped by it what does that mean for infantry combat? Do we go back to using sharp or pointy sticks up close in order to jam said point through a gap in the armor too small to be seen or exploited at a distance?

Dinosaurs?

Bigger / more powerful guns and ammunition.
In the battle of bullet and armor, bullet always wins eventually.

Even with this material, armor to shrug off a 50BMG SLAP round or the jet of an HEDP 25mm XM25 round would be a might tough to walk in.

As for blast devices...well, there are ways of reducing the effect of that, I'm working on one.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2012, 07:35:40 AM »
From the pictures, the structure that stopped three 9mm slugs is well over an inch thick . . . not paper thin. Ordinary polycarbonate would do as well, so this isn't really a great demonstration of a disruptive technology.

Where this might find application is in spall protection inside armored vehicles, depending on how flammable it is.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 09:05:54 AM »
Even if it got dented and you got knocked on your back, it would be handy if you thought that woman was planning to shoot your captain again  ;)

I see what you did there.  :cool:
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 09:35:04 AM »
Or full body armor.  If you're an Operative.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 11:34:03 AM »

Dinosaurs?

We got cut off.

We have to resort to cannibalism.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
From the pictures, the structure that stopped three 9mm slugs is well over an inch thick . . . not paper thin. Ordinary polycarbonate would do as well, so this isn't really a great demonstration of a disruptive technology.

Where this might find application is in spall protection inside armored vehicles, depending on how flammable it is.
.  I missed the link to the other article with the video.  That said, this material looks like it would take more hits in the same area without failing.

Also, it does not necessarily mean it needs to be that thick to stop a 9mm.  I guess we'll see how it develops. 

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 08:31:03 AM »
it's only a 9.  Couldn't possibly stop a .45....

birdman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »
it's only a 9.  Couldn't possibly stop a .45....

Totally.  You would have to duck tape two plates together for that.