Author Topic: Dirty Jeans  (Read 2453 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Dirty Jeans
« on: April 25, 2017, 10:08:04 AM »
When I worked in the oil patch in my youth, I got paid to make my jeans look like this.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/04/25/nordstrom-charging-425-fake-mud-jeans-mike-rowe-social-media-reacts
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: Dirty Jeans
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:52:09 AM »
Stop the world. I wanna get off.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:11:38 AM »
Heck, when we were moving the office, I was the only one with enough knowledge of points ignition to keep the 1976 forklift running, so I ended up outside in the blowing dust running it back and forth for two weeks.  For a while there, I'd shower in my jeans as a pre-rinse, rubbing them down with Dawn Ultra before taking them off and wringing as much mud and grease out as possible so the rest of the clothes wouldn't come out of the wash looking like that.

For that matter, my bike commute sometimes results in the first rinse of my hair being brown-gray mud.  Sweating in a dust storm is messy, but it sure makes getting clean afterward feel nice.  I've had jobs dirty enough that the first thing I did when I got home was shower, scrub and put on nice clothes, even just to sit around the house being clean for a while before bed.  I guess it's a matter of earning the dirt, which earns the long hot shower.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 11:35:19 AM »
Need a plague
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 12:38:18 PM »
I'm not mad, I'm just bummed out that I didn't realize I could sell my work pants for $400 years ago....

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:45:18 PM »
All that money, and you don't even get real mud.

There is a manufacturer's rep that comes to visit us in the shop, here. He's so fashion-forward that the last time he showed up, his jeans were ripped all down the front. I guess he'll be wearing fake mud next time we see him.

Let's look at the bright side. The next time you spill coffee on your pants, you'll be a fashion icon.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
There is a manufacturer's rep that comes to visit us in the shop, here. He's so fashion-forward that the last time he showed up, his jeans were ripped all down the front.

Last time I was at work looking like that, the incident report took the rest of the shift, (in an air conditioned office rather than the 110 degree production area) and they bought me a new pair of 501s to keep me from beating the crap out of the guy who didn't follow procedures before removing a LO/TO tag.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:18:09 PM »
Even before I read fistful's "Let's look at the bright side. The next time you spill coffee on your pants, you'll be a fashion icon," I was thinking it would be more appropriate for our modern youth to have a permanent artificial pee stain on their jeans.

But fistul stole my thunder.

Drat. Foiled again.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »
There's always been money in clothing the rest of us laugh at. Jeans are one of the best examples.

Back in 1970 a hurricane destroyed millions of yards of blue denim at Kohn Mills, one of the primary suppliers to Levi Strauss. A genius in marketing looked the blotched fabric and had an idea. They made jeans from the damaged fabric and called it tie-dyed. And they charged more.

It's stuff like this that persuaded me to get into advertising.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 02:29:27 PM »
Reminds me of the people at my office.  College educated white collar IT folks.

A great many of them pay for things like lawn mowing, while at the same time paying for gym memberships. 
Hard work to accomplish a task is beneath them.  But hard work for vanity is noble and worthy.

It's very odd if you really think about it. 

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:34 PM »
A great many of them pay for things like lawn mowing, while at the same time paying for gym memberships.  
Hard work to accomplish a task is beneath them.  But hard work for vanity is noble and worthy.

Exactly.  Meanwhile, I laugh as I pedal past the gym without needing to pay for a membership to get a workout, then go home and mow my lawn.

Hauling a weedeater home on the bike after I found a good deal on one was a bit of a hassle, though.  That's almost got me convinced to spring the $100 for a small trailer...which, of course, would then lead to me regularly hitting yard sales on the bike, and that can get dangerous.  There's only so much yard sale crap I can fit in my place.

(Even with a car, cycling past yard sales can be frustrating, because you know darn well whatever you want will be gone by the time you can come back to get it.  Thus, it's currently safer to just sleep in on Saturdays.)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
Need a plague

I am noticing a theme in your postings lately.  :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:36 PM »
there is serious money to be made, in the seventies in NYC I was friends with a bunch of graffiti artist - they called themselves "Zoo York"
They were all really good artist and had great art work all over NYC, which resulted in some executive seeing their art, and starting a clothing label worth billions with a stolen idea
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
i have some excellent ideas but lack the knowledge on how to pull it off, some of you may recall that M.H.I role playing game was my idea ( didn't make a dime either *shrugs* )
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
Hard work to accomplish a task is beneath them.  But hard work for vanity is noble and worthy.

That and some other comments made me remember the time I was sitting outside a large supermarket for a while and I observed a shiny new car cruising back and forth and around the parking aisles three or four times looking for a close-in spot.

She finally found one right near the entrance, and I observed with a grin that she was dressed in gym-type clothes and trotted into the store in a big hurry.

Maybe you have to think about that one for a while.  Two amuseys for the price of one.

At least she didn't pull into a handicapped spot "just for a minute."

When you say "plague," do you mean bubonic, or will any old pandemic do?
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
Reminds me of the people at my office.  College educated white collar IT folks.

Hard work to accomplish a task is beneath them.  But hard work for vanity is noble and worthy.

Do they also complain about trying to find a parking space there ??
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
That and some other comments made me remember the time I was sitting outside a large supermarket for a while and I observed a shiny new car cruising back and forth and around the parking aisles three or four times looking for a close-in spot.

She finally found one right near the entrance, and I observed with a grin that she was dressed in gym-type clothes and trotted into the store in a big hurry.

Yeah, instead of close in parking for fat people trying to pass it off as a handicap, maybe they should have parking that radiates outward from the doors by BMI.  Morbidly obese folks get to park way out there by the street, and the underweight are up there with the actual handicapped.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2017, 05:10:54 PM »
Reminds me of the people at my office.  College educated white collar IT folks.

Is it? Is pushing a mower or dragging around a weed-eater really that good of a work-out, compared to what you can get at a gym, or from running, etc? And I know, back when I could run w/o my hamstrings acting up, it was definitely more enjoyable than mowing the lawn.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »
I am noticing a theme in your postings lately.  :lol:

An asteroid strike would work about as well.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

Is it? Is pushing a mower or dragging around a weed-eater really that good of a work-out, compared to what you can get at a gym, or from running, etc? And I know, back when I could run w/o my hamstrings acting up, it was definitely more enjoyable than mowing the lawn.

Technically, it's probably a better work out since you are moving and doing stuff that requires a bigger range and rates of motion. A gym workout will have specifics focused exercises for specific muscle groups, which is good, but isn't always as efficient as a general all over workout and running (or cycling or whatever) would be even more focused.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2017, 10:32:27 PM »
Well, if mud is fashion maybe I can get paid for my old amusement, being ever vigilant to the opportunity of the alignment of college student, mud puddle, and the immediate future path of my car.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:39 PM »
At my age exercise is walking to the refrigerator for a beer, or the cupboard for a cookie, (I only get the new Chips Ahoy Thins...diet ya know) or to the bathroom to pee.  I feel great. :old:
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2017, 11:07:34 PM »
I wonder if they'd pay more for fragrant farm mud? Because I could hook some hipsters up for the right price.

OH! OH! OH! I could even do specialty scents! Goat Pasture! Horse Stall! Alpaca in Spring!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 11:11:23 PM »
I wonder if they'd pay more for fragrant farm mud? Because I could hook some hipsters up for the right price.

OH! OH! OH! I could even do specialty scents! Goat Pasture! Horse Stall! Alpaca in Spring!

I hear Unicorn is really popular right now.