Author Topic: Survey - How much force is reasonable?  (Read 1574 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Survey - How much force is reasonable?
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:55:01 AM »
Here is your chance to influence the training and behavior of law enforcement regarding the use of force. www.responsetoresistance.com

This is a legitimate survey in an attempt to define "reasonable" in the use of force.  So far, the numbers disagreeing with the proposed scenario responses are very small.

Warning: you will be asked to provide demographic information (age, weight, height, geographic location) before you can get to the survey.  The site will accept anything you enter, as long as the blank is filled in, so tinfoil hat wearers need not freak about black helicopters being dispatched.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
Re: Survey - How much force is reasonable?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:32 AM »
my guess is the thread about this poll will be locked at THR soon enough unless a lot of posters express the view that any amount of force used by LE is acceptable.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4033163#post4033163

Here is what I said there.

I thought it was an extremely deceptive survey. It appears to be an attempt to lump non-violent actions in with violent actions, and then using the responses from the survey to justify violent responses to such non-violent action. It also lumps in techniques that are far and away more dangerous with more Innocent techniques.

For instance,

If the subject is not attempting to harm the officer or others, but resists by using the weight of his body, or if a subject pulls away from the officers grasp, is it reasonable for the officer to attempt the following?
Any technique from the first segment
Joint Manipulations or Pressure Points (techniques that have little chance of injury)
Take Downs
Striking Muscle Mases (designed to cause cramping or a Charlie Horse) 

IMO, the two scenarios presented are not at all similar. The ONLY appropriate technique in the case of mere dead weight resistance is to gently carry them away, which is not even mentioned. The survey is trying to make it appear that dead weight resistance is akin to an attempted escape.

Nothing like a survey that advocates beating the crap out of a non-violent protester.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »
Seemed very much like a push poll to me.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

cassandra and sara's daddy

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:40:08 AM »
"
"Nothing like a survey that advocates beating the crap out of a non-violent protester"

have there been instances of this happening i missed? in the last decade or 2 in the us?

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 09:31:35 AM »
I watched the first three segments of the survey. I really didn't like the choices they offered. Different situations could be handled differently than the options they give.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

doc2rn

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 03:48:47 PM »
+1 to Thor

apples and oranges.