Author Topic: Unclear on the concept  (Read 770 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Unclear on the concept
« on: July 25, 2020, 12:25:44 AM »
A few days ago I received a telephone call that I made the mistake of answering. It turned out to be a marketing drone for the local dead trees newspaper, wanting to sign my up to receive their Sunday newsrag free for the next two weeks. The obnoxious twerp could not get it through his head that I didn't want to have their bundle of birdcage liner cluttering up my driveway. After about the fifth try at politely telling him no, I finally just hung up on him.

It happens that, as a result of a couple of letters I have written to them regarding news articles where I thought they had really blown the coverage, I have e-mail addresses for the editor-in-chief and for a woman in the owner's corporate office. So I wrote to them to complain about the fact that I was called when I am on the do not call list, and about how obnoxious the little twerp was. Thursday, I received an e-mail from someone on one of their staffs. It read:

Good evening Mr [___],

I hope you are doing well! Your below email was forwarded to my department and I would like to apologize for the unwanted solicitation call. We certainly do not want to be calling people who explicitly do not want us to, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If you wouldn't mind if you reply back with your phone numbers IE cell, landline etc I can make sure you are added to our internal DNC list and also check if there was a breakdown somewhere with the number you were called on. We will certainly address both the placement of the call and the tone of it with our outbound call center.

Thank you for reaching out to us.

Thanks,

Amanda

I wrote back that I found her offer to add my numbers to their internal DNC list highly insulting, and I pointed out that they are required by law to pay attention to the State and federal do not call lists ... and that all my phone numbers are already on those lists, so the fact that their clown called me was illegal.

[/rant mode]
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Unclear on the concept
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 05:36:11 AM »
Why did you get to the point of telling him no 5 times?  I feel no obligation to stay on the line with anyone cold calling me to sell something.  

But, interesting that you would get that response.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2020, 06:09:34 AM »
"I wrote back that I found her offer to add my numbers to their internal DNC list highly insulting, and I pointed out that they are required by law to pay attention to the State and federal do not call lists ... and that all my phone numbers are already on those lists, so the fact that their clown called me was illegal."

Overreaction?

Seems like everyone's been over reacting to things lately.  I suspect, but cannot know, the upper levels are a bit concerned about the illegality and are trying to establish that "mistakes were made" but that they're bending over backwards to track down any errors in their system, especially since it didn't pick up your number in the national list.  And doubly so since they don't know if this is happening on a routine basis with other numbers.

Insulted?

Why, because they're trying to keep you happy and stay out of trouble with the gooberment?

You told the original caller you weren't interested five times?  He's got a good "meeting objections" list on his computer screen.  I usually thank them for the opportunity and goodbye.

Monetary solicitations?  I add: "I make all my charitable contributions through my Church."

Terry

« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:25:20 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »
The DNC is largely a joke.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:29 AM »
The DNC is largely a joke.

^^^ Truth. A proverbial toothless tiger.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »

Overreaction?

I don't think so.

I suspect, but cannot know, the upper levels are a bit concerned about the illegality and are trying to establish that "mistakes were made" but that they're bending over backwards to track down any errors in their system, especially since it didn't pick up your number in the national list.  And doubly so since they don't know if this is happening on a routine basis with other numbers.

If they are in the least concerned about the illegality of their marketing operation, the response I received in no way conveys that concern.

Insulted?

Why, because they're trying to keep you happy and stay out of trouble with the gooberment?

No, because their attempt to placate me so obviously avoided any admission of the fact that they violated the law, and avoided any mention of addressing that issue.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 09:47:10 AM »
"If they are in the least concerned about the illegality of their marketing operation, the response I received in no way conveys that concern."

Of course not. Would you, if the roles were reversed?

Quoting out of context, but this seems to address that issue.  It would be like suggesting that a bear should bite you:

"No, because their attempt to placate me so obviously avoided any admission of the fact that they violated the law, and avoided any mention of addressing that issue."

Exactly my point.  Anyhow, whatever.  I'm just opining that I would not have handled it that way.  In fact, I probably would not have bothered to handle it at all.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:09:19 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 12:01:18 PM »
My landline phone has an answering provision, so I usually let the phone take the call.

Assuming I pick it up (usually because I'm waiting for an important call or call/back) and I get a telemarketer, it usually goes like this.

"I'm on both Federal and State DO NOT CALL Lists.
By making this sales call, you are breaking both Federal and State laws.
I do not deal with criminal organizations like yours.
CLICK."

I've heard some people have figured out how to monetize these kinds of unwanted calls, but I haven't delved into the details of how to go about it . . . yet.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain