Author Topic: 18 year old illegal alien kills self over failed DREAM Act  (Read 10443 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
18 year old illegal alien kills self over failed DREAM Act
« on: November 28, 2011, 02:50:20 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/28/family-illegal-immigrant-student-martyred-himself-/

My comment?

We need better enforcement of gun laws already on the books.  Prosecute the family (or whomever made the gun available) for making a pistol available to an 18 year old mentally unstable illegal alien, then deport them.  Even if he bought the pistol via private party transaction, whomever sold it to him should have AT LEAST checked for a valid TX driver's license.  Can't get one of those in TX without proof of legal residency.

The media, along with Mecha and La Raza, are going to absolutely milk this thing for all it's worth.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

De Selby

• friend
Re: 18 year old illegal alien kills self over failed DREAM Act
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 05:53:52 PM »
See, if we had to go through dealers for all sales this wouldn't have happened and illegals wouldn't be able to get guns!   There might even be illegal terrorists buying guns through this method.

Sarcasm aside, be careful wishing for security of any kind, including border security. 
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
No doubt he would have made a fine contribution to Mexico.  And God knows they could have used him.  He did have choices.

I'm tired of having all problems in the world handed to us as our problems.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 06:30:44 PM »
We need better enforcement of gun laws already on the books.

I disagree, except for the Second Amendment.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »
I disagree, except for the Second Amendment.

No....we need better enforcement of the Second Amendment....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 11:45:16 PM »
No....we need better enforcement of the Second Amendment....

I think you meant to say, "+1."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/28/family-illegal-immigrant-student-martyred-himself-/

We need better enforcement of gun laws already on the books.  Prosecute the family (or whomever made the gun available) for making a pistol available to an 18 year old mentally unstable illegal alien, then deport them.

There's no evidence in the article this person was mentally unstable.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 05:51:38 AM »
There's no evidence in the article this person was mentally unstable.

Suicide, ( by an otherwise healthy person) attempted or successful is a pretty solid indication of mental instability.
That there may have been previous indications of mental issues is unknown.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »
Suicide, ( by an otherwise healthy person) attempted or successful is a pretty solid indication of mental instability.
That there may have been previous indications of mental issues is unknown.

Are you serious?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 08:22:37 AM »
Are you serious?

About what in particular?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:13 AM »
About what in particular?

Do you seriously believe that when a physically healthy person kills themselves they must be mentally ill?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:29 AM »
Do you seriously believe that when a physically healthy person kills themselves they must be mentally ill?

Yes.

Mentally stable people, when confronted with an adverse situation, work to remedy the situation and improve their lot in life somehow.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:23:01 AM »
how western in mind set

On 10 June 1963, a spokesperson for the Buddhists privately informed the U.S. correspondents that "something important" would happen the following morning on the road outside the Cambodian embassy in Saigon.[23] Most of the reporters disregarded the message, since the Buddhist crisis had at that point been going on for over a month, and the next day only a few journalists turned up, including David Halberstam of The New York Times and Malcolm Browne, who was the Saigon bureau chief for the Associated Press.[23]

Thích Quảng Đức arrived as part of a procession that had begun at a nearby pagoda. Around 350 monks and nuns marched in two phalanxes, preceded by an Austin Westminster sedan, carrying banners printed in both English and Vietnamese. They denounced the Diệm government and its policy towards Buddhists, demanding that it fulfill its promises of religious equality.[23] Another monk offered to burn himself, but Thích Quảng Đức's seniority prevailed.[1]

The act itself occurred at the intersection of Phan Dinh Phung Boulevard and Le Van Duyet Street.[23] Thích Quảng Đức emerged from the car along with two other monks. One placed a cushion on the road while the second opened the trunk and took out a five-gallon gasoline can. As the marchers formed a circle around him, Thích Quảng Đức calmly seated himself in the traditional Buddhist meditative lotus position on the cushion. His colleague emptied the contents of the gasoline container over Thích Quảng Đức's head. Thích Quảng Đức rotated a string of wooden prayer beads and recited the words Nam Mô A Di Đà Phật ("homage to Amitabha Buddha") before striking a match and dropping it on himself. Flames consumed his robes and flesh, and black oily smoke emanated from his burning body.[23][24]

The last words of Thích Quảng Đức before his self-immolation were documented in a letter he had left:

Before closing my eyes and moving towards the vision of the Buddha, I respectfully plead to President Ngo Dinh Diem to take a mind of compassion towards the people of the nation and implement religious equality to maintain the strength of the homeland eternally. I call the venerables, reverends, members of the sangha and the lay Buddhists to organise in solidarity to make sacrifices to protect Buddhism.[4]

David Halberstam wrote:

I was to see that sight again, but once was enough. Flames were coming from a human being; his body was slowly withering and shriveling up, his head blackening and charring. In the air was the smell of burning human flesh; human beings burn surprisingly quickly. Behind me I could hear the sobbing of the Vietnamese who were now gathering. I was too shocked to cry, too confused to take notes or ask questions, too bewildered to even think... As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound, his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him.[25]

Thich Quang Duc Car Parked In Hue.ogg
Today, the car in which Thích Quảng Đức traveled to his self-immolation is parked at Huế's Thien Mu Pagoda.

Police who tried to reach him could not break through the circle of Buddhist clergy. One of the policemen threw himself to the ground and prostrated himself in front of Thích Quảng Đức in reverence.[1] The spectators were mostly stunned into silence, but some wailed and several began praying. Many of the monks and nuns, as well as some shocked passersby, prostrated themselves before the burning monk.[1] In English and Vietnamese, a monk repeatedly declared into a microphone, "A Buddhist priest burns himself to death. A Buddhist priest becomes a martyr."[23]

After approximately ten minutes, Thích Quảng Đức's body was fully immolated, and it toppled forward onto the street and the fire subsided. A group of monks covered the smoking corpse with yellow robes, picked it up and tried to fit it into a coffin, but the limbs could not be bent and one of the arms protruded from the wooden box as he was carried to the nearby Xa Loi Pagoda in central Saigon. Outside the pagoda, students unfurled bilingual banners which read: "A Buddhist priest burns himself for our five requests." By 13:30, around one thousand monks had congregated inside Xa Loi to hold a meeting while outside a large crowd of pro-Buddhist students had formed a human barrier around it. The meeting soon ended and all but a hundred monks slowly left the compound. Nearly one thousand monks accompanied by laypeople returned to the cremation site. The police lingered nearby. At around 18:00, 30 nuns and six monks were arrested for holding a prayer meeting on the street outside Xa Loi Pagoda. The police then encircled the pagoda, blocking public passage and giving observers the impression that an armed siege was imminent by donning riot gear.[26] That evening, thousands of Saigonese claimed to have seen a vision of the Buddha's face in the sky as the sun had set. They claimed that in the vision the Buddha was weeping.[2]
[edit] Funeral and aftermath

After the self-immolation, the U.S. put more pressure on Diệm to re-open negotiations on the faltering agreement. Diệm had scheduled an emergency cabinet meeting at 11:30 on 11 June to discuss the Buddhist crisis which he believed to be winding down. Following Thích Quảng Đức's death, Diệm cancelled the meeting and met individually with his ministers. Acting U.S. Ambassador to South Vietnam William Trueheart warned Nguyễn Đình Thuận, Diệm's Secretary of State, of the desperate need for an agreement, saying that the situation was "dangerously near breaking point" and expected that Diệm would meet the Buddhists' five-point manifesto. United States Secretary of State Dean Rusk warned the Saigon embassy that the White House would publicly announce that it would no longer "associate itself" with the regime if this did not occur.[27] The Joint Communique and concessions to the Buddhists were signed on 16 June.[28]

15 June was set as the date for the funeral of Thích Quảng Đức, and on that day 4,000 people gathered outside Xa Loi Pagoda, only for the ceremony to be postponed. On 19 June, his remains were carried out of Xa Loi to a cemetery 16 kilometers (9.9 mi) south of the city for a re-cremation and funeral ceremony. Following the signing of the Joint Communique, attendance was limited by agreement between Buddhist leaders and police to approximately 400 monks.[28]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 09:34:36 AM »
Thereveda Buddhist monks are nutso.

There's a reason that the rest of the Buddhist world calls them "Hinayana" or "The lesser/worse vehicle"... in contrast to Mahayana Buddhism that also spread through China and Japan from India.

That monk forgot the prime tenet and the 1st of the Four Noble Truths of Buddhism:  All life is suffering.

He became too attached to his goal.

how western in mind set

I fully considered self-immolating monks as well as samurai in my statement. 
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:58 AM »
he achieved his goal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
Not to say what he did was right or wrong; but doing it in public and stirring up the media before hand would have generated a lot more effect for his cause, I think.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 10:52:59 AM »
Luna wasn't a Buddhist: he WANTED something.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
Luna wasn't a Buddhist: he WANTED something.

Further:  He wanted something for FREE.

From the article:

In the absence of the Dream Act, Mr. Obama has tried to take administrative action. The Homeland Security Department has issued a memo to its immigration services saying those who would have qualified for the Dream Act should be low on the priority list for deportation. It also listed other factors, such as caring for a family, that would lower the risk of deportation.

Decisions on public higher education, however, are left to the states, which have differed on whether to charge illegal immigrant students in-state or out-of-state tuition. Many states argue that illegal immigrants can’t be legal state residents and must pay out-of-state rates, but Texas and California have gone the other direction.

So he gets in-State tuition rates already.

Obviously he got free public education through High School.

Sounds like he didn't get any scholarships.

Poor little darling would have had to actually PAY for his education.  The horror. ;/  (Looks at Sallie Mae statement in stack of bills, sees original balance of $30k from 9 years ago and remaining balance of $9k now, with $600 bill this month, shakes head and mumbles something about deadbeat leeches.)
--Lysander Spooner

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »
Further:  He wanted something for FREE.

From the article:

So he gets in-State tuition rates already.

Obviously he got free public education through High School.

Sounds like he didn't get any scholarships.

Poor little darling would have had to actually PAY for his education.  The horror. ;/  (Looks at Sallie Mae statement in stack of bills, sees original balance of $30k from 9 years ago and remaining balance of $9k now, with $600 bill this month, shakes head and mumbles something about deadbeat leeches.)

i'm thinking you only read the al jones version of what happened?  can you show something to support the ideas you put forth?

atino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/11/28/family-hopes-teens-suicide-pushes-passage-dream-act/

kid was accepted at rice?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:02 PM »
I'm not really going to lose much sleep over this one.
There isn't enough free stuff to go around for all of the people who want it.
If the kid decides to be 'pro-choice' with himself because .gov isn't going to force its way into my wallet on his behalf, well then adios amigo.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »

Absolutely.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 06:06:26 PM »
All he wanted was "a better life."

How many times have we heard that one?

A better life that would mean a worse life for American citizens. 
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

• friends
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 06:50:25 PM »
All he wanted was "a better life."

How many times have we heard that one?

A better life that would mean a worse life for American citizens. 

how so?  in what way?

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43:07 PM »
Drain on the treasury, for openers.

But where I live the issue is cultural blight if I may be so blunt.  Show me a heavily illegal alien-populated area and I'll show you a place you don't want to hang out. 

For every DREAM valedictorian there are 50 kids tatt'd up and flashing gang signs.  That is the reality whatever you may wish to believe.  The issue is not the education they would like to get, it's the education they have destroyed for others, for American kids, in school district after school district.  You can start with LAUSD if you need an example.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 08:59:44 PM »
18 year old illegal alien kills self over failed DREAM Act

Well............ Bye.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.