Author Topic: Student Refusing To Be RFID Tagged Loses Appeal  (Read 6005 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Student Refusing To Be RFID Tagged Loses Appeal
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:18 PM »
A lot of people feel very strongly about all manner of things.
I forget, he might be one of those free school lunch kids who get all their meals at the school so he would need his "number" to eat. 

A lot of people feel strongly that I should pay for their welfare check or that I should turn in all my guns.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2013, 10:57:41 PM »
I forget, he might be one of those free school lunch kids who get all their meals at the school so he would need his "number" to eat. 
Or maybe the schools have kids buy their lunches from an account funded by their parents (as my daughter does) and the "number" is used to charge lunch to the account.  Actually, that's exactly how my daughter's school does it.  T'ain't free, that's for sure.  I just put another $100 in the account.  That'll just about take me through to the end of the year.

Chris

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 07:05:53 AM »
Or maybe the schools have kids buy their lunches from an account funded by their parents (as my daughter does) and the "number" is used to charge lunch to the account.  Actually, that's exactly how my daughter's school does it.  T'ain't free, that's for sure.  I just put another $100 in the account.  That'll just about take me through to the end of the year.

Chris

Mine do this as  well.  Though it sounds less exxpensive for you than it is for us....
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »
They did lunch tickets when I was in school. 

I still think any number of the beast talk is overblown in this case.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
They did lunch tickets when I was in school. 

I still think any number of the beast talk is overblown in this case.

Sure, but "I don't agree with your religion therefore you can't practice it" is still not good logic to see a schoolboard using.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 12:32:44 PM »
Sure, but "I don't agree with your religion therefore you can't practice it" is still not good logic to see a schoolboard using.
"It is against my religion" shouldn't be a blank check to do whatever you want either.  I thought burden of proof was on the kid or his family to prove it.  With Christianity, it is likely a higher burden of proof since they can point to a few dozen other kids who say they are Christian who have no issue with it.

What is the legal precedent for that these days?

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 12:36:29 PM »
Bob saves! The end is near! Praise Bob! Insha'Boblah!

mglw'nafh Bob R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

I think the girl in this story needs to use economic force on this issue, or at least as much economic force as she can muster in a situation where she is taxed and compelled to pay for the public school even if she doesn't use the school. 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
"It is against my religion" shouldn't be a blank check to do whatever you want either.  I thought burden of proof was on the kid or his family to prove it.  With Christianity, it is likely a higher burden of proof since they can point to a few dozen other kids who say they are Christian who have no issue with it.

What is the legal precedent for that these days?

This is America, wherein "Christianity" is a dominant cultural force. They can probably point to a dozen kids who self identify as "christian" who think getting married to your gay lover is a-ok too, doesn't really reflect on Christian doctrine.

It's true that freedom of religious practice isn't a blank check, but do you really want the .gov to have the ability to tell you what your religion says? Unless you're claiming Christianity requires you to cook meth in your trailer or something equally outside of any actual tradition then the .gov should shut the hell up. Unless the religious practice is a serious felony (and sometimes even then, see conscientious objectors and the draft) the .gov should shut the hell up and stay out of it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
Bob saves! The end is near! Praise Bob! Insha'Boblah!

Oh, gods, I hope I don't actually start a cult dedicated to Bob...   NO SHRINES TO BOB, YA HEAR?

This is America, wherein "Christianity" is a dominant cultural force. They can probably point to a dozen kids who self identify as "christian" who think getting married to your gay lover is a-ok too, doesn't really reflect on Christian doctrine.

It's true that freedom of religious practice isn't a blank check, but do you really want the .gov to have the ability to tell you what your religion says? Unless you're claiming Christianity requires you to cook meth in your trailer or something equally outside of any actual tradition then the .gov should shut the hell up. Unless the religious practice is a serious felony (and sometimes even then, see conscientious objectors and the draft) the .gov should shut the hell up and stay out of it.

Except how do you draw the line? Is there an age test when it comes to "respectable" religions? What about number of followers?  Also, what do you allow as freedom of religion, and what do you not? Your claims that meth production is not a valid religious activity is near legally equal to dodging a draft. Both can be felonies. Meth production does not in itself endanger or harm the United States (consumption may, not production). Arguably dodging the draft does directly cause harm.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying, it's an extremely grey areas that lends itself too well to subjective limitations and not remotely objective ones. Legally, should Bob the Magically Pineapple (blessed be his pineapple rings, especially on glazed ham) be given the same respect as Vishnu or Yahweh?  Why or why not?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 01:38:42 PM »
Oh, gods, I hope I don't actually start a cult dedicated to Bob...   NO SHRINES TO BOB, YA HEAR?

Except how do you draw the line? Is there an age test when it comes to "respectable" religions? What about number of followers?  Also, what do you allow as freedom of religion, and what do you not? Your claims that meth production is not a valid religious activity is near legally equal to dodging a draft. Both can be felonies. Meth production does not in itself endanger or harm the United States (consumption may, not production). Arguably dodging the draft does directly cause harm.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying, it's an extremely grey areas that lends itself too well to subjective limitations and not remotely objective ones. Legally, should Bob the Magically Pineapple (blessed be his pineapple rings, especially on glazed ham) be given the same respect as Vishnu or Yahweh?  Why or why not?

Do some searches on how that stuff is made.  There is some serious risk for their neighbors.  I am a "legalize it all and may Darwin take the hindmost" sort of guy, but I am not too enthusiastic about such batch chemistry being done by tweakers next door.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Mine do this as  well.  Though it sounds less exxpensive for you than it is for us....

We already had a balance of $40ish, so adding another $100 takes us through till April IIRC (from Jan 1st or so).  Lunches are about $2.5 per day I believe.

Point is, it's a common method and doesn't automatically indicate a "free lunch".

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 06:10:25 PM »

"Help! Help! I'm bein' oppressed!!!"

I'll build a shrine to Bob if I darn well WANT to! :rofl:

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 11:36:16 PM »

Except how do you draw the line? Is there an age test when it comes to "respectable" religions? What about number of followers?  Also, what do you allow as freedom of religion, and what do you not? Your claims that meth production is not a valid religious activity is near legally equal to dodging a draft. Both can be felonies. Meth production does not in itself endanger or harm the United States (consumption may, not production). Arguably dodging the draft does directly cause harm.  ......   

Well, if you don't count the fact that the process results in the production of some particularly NASTY chemical waste which is dangerous .... and the times when the labs explode....naaahhh, you're right, it's harmless.
 [tinfoil]

Meth is a problem in my part of the country. It is nasty and people are hurt when the labs go "BOOM!"  Neighborhoods are contaminated and housing made uninhabitable.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 12:12:20 PM »

Alright, alright.  Bad example. Growing weed then.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »

Too late...

http://z8.invisionfree.com/Pineapple_Shrine/index.php?act=idx
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 04:30:50 PM »
the distance argument is off, with two button cells the range is going to be extended well past 2 feet. [tinfoil]

see fox news for the vid. [popcorn]

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
the distance argument is off, with two button cells the range is going to be extended well past 2 feet. [tinfoil]
Looks like it isn't a passive RFID tag.  The video shows a tracking map of the school that appears to have stations that cover about four rooms each.

But the school district also offered to remove the RFID portion of her badge and she still declined, so there's that.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
it still has the number, bar code on each badge. i expect it to come down to wear it, or home school. bet she'll be better off anyway. =)

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »
it still has the number, bar code on each badge. i expect it to come down to wear it, or home school. bet she'll be better off anyway. =)
That's true, but there is absolutely nothing new about student IDs (or even that girl wearing them), so I'm not sure what her complaint is anymore.

Probably right on the homeschooling, thing.