Author Topic: An interesting article about gun control in the UK  (Read 4260 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
An interesting article about gun control in the UK
« on: February 02, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130202/NEWS02/702029935#Britain-offers-model-of-gun-control-effort

Showing how the UK accomplished gun control. I see that this article was originally published in the Washington Post and picked up by the AP.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: An interesting article about gun control in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 09:11:50 AM »
Britian doesn't have that pesky 2nd Amendment.

MSM is hell bent on gun control. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Legal guns -- including some types of rifles and shotguns largely suitable for farms and sport -- must be kept in locked boxes bolted to floors or walls and are subject to random police inspection and vigorous inquires about the mental health and family life of owners.

I can confirm this.  One of my customers over there told me how he gave up his shotguns after being repeatedly visited by the local police at odd hours (5am, 9pm, etc).

He's an avid sportsman and frequently comes to the US for fly fishing and such.  Good guy, certainly not the shifty criminal sort, but he was harassed out of his guns anyway.

Chris

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »
I can confirm this.  One of my customers over there told me how he gave up his shotguns after being repeatedly visited by the local police at odd hours (5am, 9pm, etc).

He's an avid sportsman and frequently comes to the US for fly fishing and such.  Good guy, certainly not the shifty criminal sort, but he was harassed out of his guns anyway.

Chris

It's at least pleasing to know they have violent crime so controlled the police have time available to harass  law-abiding citizens. Uh, wait...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »
Britian doesn't have that pesky 2nd Amendment.

Britain doesn't have any Amendments.....subjects don't need rights.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 11:45:09 AM »
That is where reasonable restrictions and compromise lead  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 01:48:43 PM »
Who needs the Second Amendment when you have Shari'a Law?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 02:15:03 PM »
Who needs the Second Amendment when you have Shari'a Law?

Funny you bring that up.....watched a news story about "vigilante" sharia law being brought to the streets of London.  So far it's only verbal harassment, and surprisingly there's been some arrests....but imagine being a woman surrounded by Arab men on the street at night harassed because your skirt is too tight.....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
How's that "unwritten constitution" thing working?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 03:10:18 PM »

Funny you bring that up.....watched a news story about "vigilante" sharia law being brought to the streets of London.  So far it's only verbal harassment, and surprisingly there's been some arrests....but imagine being a woman surrounded by Arab men on the street at night harassed because your skirt is too tight.....

sounds like a frat party  or naval officers ala tailhook
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
When police on a weapons raid swarmed a housing project after London's 2011 riots, they seized a cache of arms that in the United States might be better suited to "Antiques Roadshow" than inner city ganglands. Inside plastic bags hidden in a trash collection room, officers uncovered two archaic flintlock pistols, retrofitted flare guns and a Jesse James-style revolver.

These days, that kind of antiquated firepower is about the baddest a British gang member can get.

BS.

(In a sort of related aside, my brother lived in the gun free paradise of Japan for 15 years.  He has told me there was a thriving black market trade between Japan and Russia.  Used J. cars one way (fees were such that after a certain age it was cheaper to buy new, thus an abundance of old cars needing to be disposed of), guns the other way.)

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
your brother spoke true.  but the culture there is such they keep the carnage carefully contained and even more carefully covered up

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 03:31:18 PM »
It's at least pleasing to know they have violent crime so controlled the police have time available to harass  law-abiding citizens. Uh, wait...

Do they still call them citizens over there?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 03:38:20 PM »
your brother spoke true.  but the culture there is such they keep the carnage carefully contained and even more carefully covered up

He also mentioned that it was not unusual to read reports of WWII era rifles turning up in the wreckage of earthquake damaged homes.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »
I watch lot of contemporary UK television, particularly mysteries. (I think in many cases they're better written than American counterparts.)

The level of murder, violence, and abundance of firearms in the fictional accounts is interesting, in view of the apparent pacifist enlightenment in the culture. Suggests either a morbid fascination with crime and mayhem, or indicates the reality on the street differs from the state propaganda.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 04:31:34 PM »

Now isn't that very interesting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:41 PM »

Hmm... Another thing to rub the Japanese noses in. We can add "Their real crime rate" to the list, right under "WWII history/atrocities".

Although I'd bet it's still a great deal lower than ours, the UK's or Aus.
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »

so long as its gang on gang its all good.  and they are very efficient at disappearing bodies.
the cops are very pragmatic and the gangs are deeply embedded into politics

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 05:32:59 PM »

sounds like a frat party  or naval officers ala tailhook

Except those don't usually end with the woman tied in a sack, buried up to her waist, and then having her brains bashed out with cinder blocks, all because she committed "adultery" by being raped by said men. Sharia is, among other atrocious things, a legal system that operates on a variety of abhorrent "principles." In the case, that of "she was asking for it." Gee, where have I heard that argument before?

Shall I "pics or it didn't happen"?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:59:11 PM by kgbsquirrel »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
so long as its gang on gang its all good.  and they are very efficient at disappearing bodies.
the cops are very pragmatic and the gangs are deeply embedded into politics

So my take on this is if the Crips, Bloods, Latin Kings, MS-13 or whatever/whoever is now ascendant these days gets training from the Yakuza in manners, and pseudo-Bushido, America would suddenly look a LOT better in the world crime stats?  =D
I promise not to duck.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »
It's funny, all the restrictions on guns are for nothing... "illegal" firearm ownership THRIVES and always outnumbers "legal" possession. Look up the numbers in that article on gun law defiance I posted. Second Amendment or not, people really like having weapons... it must be human nature.. hmm, maybe RKBA is a Natural Right after all?

Reality is sobering...

"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »

now see.... there's some males that need some killing.  And yet "civilization" has decided to let them keep breathing.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2013, 11:43:35 AM »
Interesting WP article linked by Mill Creek.  Would the controls work in the US?  Probably, eventually.  Would it be tolerated?  Probably not. All you have to do is look at other countries and when you accept incremental gun controls, you can see what it leads to. But the fact that the laws were indeed passed and implemented in England truly suggests that Brit's are subjects and not the same as citizens in the USA.

My impression is that British hunting is primarily limited to people of financial means.  The same generally applies to trout fishing.  It goes back to royalty and their fox hunts. Here in the US, hunting is universal among the various socialogic groups, but certainly concentrated in rural areas and folks that live in rural area.  They generally have access to hunting that city folks don't have without paying for the access.  This is one of the reasons the Pennsylvania State Game Lands program was and is so successful as it provided universal access to hunting on public lands that were scattered around the state.  In my state, there are a fair number of WMA's, but most are restricted in terms of the weapon that is allowable within the WMA to be used for hunting.  That makes sense in the smaller WMAs as long as game management is successful.

From my perspective, it's sad what has happened in Great Britian from an individual right perspective.  During WWII, we were shipping guns to arm their citizens as they had few weapons.  The Brits have never really developed the gun culture that the US has and our culture dates back to when a minority of people from the Colonies rebelled against their British masters.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
Except those don't usually end with the woman tied in a sack, buried up to her waist, and then having her brains bashed out with cinder blocks, all because she committed "adultery" by being raped by said men. Sharia is, among other atrocious things, a legal system that operates on a variety of abhorrent "principles." In the case, that of "she was asking for it." Gee, where have I heard that argument before?

that happening in england?