Author Topic: An interesting article about gun control in the UK  (Read 4261 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: An interesting article about gun control in the UK
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »

We have Jerry Springer type stuff here as well. We just blame it on individuals instead of their religion.

Not saying I support sharia law. Just saying, I've heard of similar enough stuff happening in my hometown.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2013, 02:25:44 PM »
We have Jerry Springer type stuff here as well. We just blame it on individuals instead of their religion.

Not saying I support sharia law. Just saying, I've heard of similar enough stuff happening in my hometown.

Quite true.  I just finished reading the book 'Under the Banner of Heaven' by Jon Krakauer detailing the faith-based violence that has occurred in certain Mormon fundamentalist communities. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/20090106224426/http://www.bbc.co.uk/ethics/honourcrimes/crimesofhonour_2.shtml

happens here and in canada to.   has for longer than you've been breathing.  and its not just islamic folk doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f74tx9UpyV8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184351/David-Frances-Champion-Parents-jailed-battering-daughter-just-black-boyfriend.html
\

shoot we had a president get all upset over the idea that black kids would walk the same streets at the same time  to school as black kids.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:43:05 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
happens here and in canada to.   has for longer than you've been breathing.  and its not just islamic folk doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f74tx9UpyV8

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2184351/David-Frances-Champion-Parents-jailed-battering-daughter-just-black-boyfriend.html
\

shoot we had a president get all upset over the idea that black kids would walk the same streets at the same time  to school as black kids.

Except Sharia is a cohesive set of laws that not only encourages such violations of basic human rights, but demands them in certain circumstances. It is the greatest antithesis to the founding principles of this nation that I have seen to date.

So to that I say: *expletive deleted*ck that noise.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2013, 12:18:44 AM »
Quite true.  I just finished reading the book 'Under the Banner of Heaven' by Jon Krakauer detailing the faith-based violence that has occurred in certain Mormon fundamentalist communities. 

That book gave me nightmares. *shudder*

The question that comes to my mind after reading that article is the same as what comes to mind after reading others of the same ilk.

What is it about "gun crime" that is so specially frightening as opposed to other crime?
Personally, I would say (where I unarmed and unable to defend myself for whatever reason) a big guy armed with superior mass and a knife intent on raping or beating me is much more frightening them being a random victim of a gunshot wound.
Seems to me that a quick death or being frightened witless for a bit isn't as bad as being physically restrained, violated and battered. It's diffrence between fear I could live with and fear I could not.
:/
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »
What is it about "gun crime" that is so specially frightening as opposed to other crime?

Tyrants aren't afraid of being raped?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 01:59:11 AM »

Years and years of conditioning by the media, politicians and Hollywood that death or attack by someone with a gun is somehow worse than a knifing or beating or strangulation.

We're one of the most free countries on earth when it comes to private possession of firearms, but decades of this conditioning has left probably a third or more of the country so afraid of guns that they would never even touch one with a single finger.

Andy Griffith (Sheriff Taylor) took Opie hunting. Wally Cleaver had a rifle in his bedroom. This was normal at one time. It was normal in my house and in the homes of all of the kids I knew. The anti's have done a very good job.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2013, 07:41:49 AM »
Except Sharia is a cohesive set of laws that not only encourages such violations of basic human rights, but demands them in certain circumstances. It is the greatest antithesis to the founding principles of this nation that I have seen to date.

So to that I say: *expletive deleted* that noise.

The greatest antithesis to date?  Hyperbole much? 

People have all kind of reasons for explaining why Muslims can't be Americans.  I suppose the American Muslims just don't understand their own religion.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2013, 10:21:43 AM »

So to that I say: *expletive deleted* that noise.

Actually, for the time, it was pretty liberal and civilized, under most circumstances. Problem is, things have gotten a lot more liberal and sharia law hasn't been updated to match it.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
How's that "unwritten constitution" thing working?

Pretty well, actually.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:57 AM »
Pretty well, actually.

Some folks just love their chains I guess.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 11:34:45 AM »

At least in our nation we can defend ourselves and not be arrested for it...

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
At least in our nation we can defend ourselves and not be arrested for it...

Depends. Who are you defending from?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

agricola

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »

Has it ever occured to you that some people who arent American might actually like their own country?
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Has it ever occured to you that some people who arent American might actually like their own country?

Nationalism is indeed an international phenomena. I'm American, I like my country, and I still heavily criticize it's corrupt and blatantly evil government. I have no issues with Brits defending things they like about their country, but when one of the things they like is its oppressive government then I refer you to my initial post.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

agricola

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 01:30:35 PM »
Nationalism is indeed an international phenomena. I'm American, I like my country, and I still heavily criticize it's corrupt and blatantly evil government. I have no issues with Brits defending things they like about their country, but when one of the things they like is its oppressive government then I refer you to my initial post.

where did I say I like its "oppressive government"?  All I said was that our unwritten constitution is working pretty well.
"Make peace, you fools"

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
where did I say I like its "oppressive government"?  All I said was that our unwritten constitution is working pretty well.

Your unwritten constitution is allowing those oppressive measures, so...

Either it isn't working well, or you approve of the things that are happening. Is there another option?  ???

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2013, 01:54:51 PM »

You mean the stiff upper lip thing ?

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin