Author Topic: Wal-Mart -- again  (Read 3655 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Wal-Mart -- again
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:02 AM »
As if we needed further reason not to shop at Wal-Mart: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-puts-squeeze-suppliers-share-pain-earnings-051129723--finance.html

Does anyone besides me remember when Rubbermaid was nearly put out of business because Wal-Mart demanded prices so low that Rubbermaid was essentially selling to Wally World at (or below) cost? Here we go again.

With its stores in better shape, Wal-Mart now is redoubling its focus on beating competitors on price. Over the next three years, the company said it would spend several billion dollars on keeping prices low.

Foran said vendors will benefit. "We lower the cost of goods, which in turn generates savings and we invest that in price. Lower prices see an increase in traffic and basket, which in turn grows sales and gains share," Foran said.

That's a great, steaming pile of monkey doo right there. It reminds me of an old joke in the building construction industry. A new painting contractor opens up, and by aggressive pricing he gets almost every big job that comes along. Other painting contractors can't figure out how he does it.

The painting contractors are all at a trade show and some of them take the new guy aside and ask him how he does it. "Simple," he says, "I lose money on every job but I make it up in volume."

Sounds to me like that's what Wal-Mart wants its vendors to do.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
Re: Wal-Mart -- again
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:03:43 AM »
In 10 years, they will be the next Kmart or Sears.
They pretty much have market saturation at a time when competitors are spreading their presence.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
They pretty much have market saturation at a time when competitors are spreading their presence.

It's the idiotic version of saturation they've gone for that bugs the crap out of me.  When I'm in a strange town, and need something that I know WalMart carries, but I'm not sure who else would carry it, I punch WalMart into the GPS...and about a third of the time, waste 20 minutes driving there to find out it's one of their "WalMart Marketplace" grocery-only stores, with the closest regular WM a half hour or more in another direction.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:31:52 PM »
I don't understand, Hawkmoon.  Are you upset because Walmart wants to lower the cost of things people buy there?  Or are you upset because Walmart has asked its vendors to lower their costs to Walmart?  Or something else?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:01 PM »
Wal-Mart is forcing the suppliers to lower their costs (because they are such a buying behemoth) This in turn forces the suppliers/manufacturers to lower their labor costs, which moves more jobs overseas or lowers the wages here. Both are very damning to our economy.

Basically Wal-Mart is killing America.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 01:07:08 PM »
Wal-Mart is forcing the suppliers to lower their costs (because they are such a buying behemoth) This in turn forces the suppliers/manufacturers to lower their labor costs, which moves more jobs overseas or lowers the wages here. Both are very damning to our economy.

Walmart isn't killing America.
I would argue that it is forcing their suppliers to come into the 21st century making them more competitive and more likely to survive.
Wages are falling or stagnating everywhere, not just in the businesses related to walmart.
The same with profit margins. A lot of operations that have survived since 2008, have made drastic cost cutting measures and are still working on tight profit margins- they would be out of business if they didn't cut costs.

Both are very damning to our economy.
Its an indicator not a cause.
Regardless of what .gov tells us on unemployment figures (which have been largely lies for the last 6 years- latest reports are a laughable 5.5ish%) and how the stock market is doing (which is being propped up by nearly free money from the FED in the form of stock buybacks) our economy is and has been in shambles. At some point, the Fed has to start weaning everyone off its teat, and all hell will break loose.

Barack Obama

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 01:17:55 PM »

If it wasn't Walmart, it'd be somebody else.  Things were being outsourced before Wallyworld, and from what I'm seeing, all the 'low hanging' fruit has been picked.  Production is actually moving back to the USA for a number of products, because Chinese labor has increased in expense enough that it's not worth it.

The machinery is staying over there though, to produce for the domestic market.  They build new factories here, sometimes in Mexico, but mostly in union-free areas where labor costs are lower than average.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
Regardless of what .gov tells us on unemployment figures (which have been largely lies for the last 6 years- latest reports are a laughable 5.5ish%) and how the stock market is doing (which is being propped up by nearly free money from the FED in the form of stock buybacks) our economy is and has been in shambles. At some point, the Fed has to start weaning everyone off its teat, and all hell will break loose.

This.  BS happy-talk by the administration over 8 years, aided by democrat party operatives with bylines in hte media have done their best to hide reality, but reality has a way of re-asserting itself after a time.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:42:29 PM »
Walmart isn't killing America.
I would argue that it is forcing their suppliers to come into the 21st century making them more competitive and more likely to survive.
Wages are falling or stagnating everywhere, not just in the businesses related to walmart.
The same with profit margins. A lot of operations that have survived since 2008, have made drastic cost cutting measures and are still working on tight profit margins- they would be out of business if they didn't cut costs.
Its an indicator not a cause.

The reason I am saying it is damning is because eventually the American consumer base is going to dry up because wages will not be there to pay for the goods and services. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of spending habits will cut out any extra items and just go to what is needed. Food and shelter will become a larger share of the household income, people will stop buying "luxury" items, even quick some of the modern essential services such as internet or insurance because a decision will need to be made between food or those items.

I'm actually surprised that with the 99% uprising a few years ago that something criminal didn't happen against the wealthy/Industry CEOs with housing being burnt, shot in the street, etc.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 01:49:22 PM »
The reason I am saying it is damning is because eventually the American consumer base is going to dry up because wages will not be there to pay for the goods and services. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of spending habits will cut out any extra items and just go to what is needed. Food and shelter will become a larger share of the household income, people will stop buying "luxury" items, even quick some of the modern essential services such as internet or insurance because a decision will need to be made between food or those items.

I'm actually surprised that with the 99% uprising a few years ago that something criminal didn't happen against the wealthy/Industry CEOs with housing being burnt, shot in the street, etc.

Yes, I can see that happening.
We could well be in a deflationary spiral and not even know about it as each of us only sees the small, local data points.
Personally, I've taken to buying only things I need and only spending discretionary money on things that are deeply discounted, if at all.

Barack Obama

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 03:56:20 PM »
We lived and worked in Bentonville, AR and I worked for a company who had over 50% of their business with Wal-Mart. They can and WILL break a company.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 04:04:13 PM »
Nothing new though. A little over 20 years ago I had a part time gig working as a security guard at the big Zebco factory in Tulsa. They had separate lines for their products that went to Wal-Mart. The outside of the fishing reel didn't look any different but the inside was  significantly lower in quality. Doesn't matter any more since all of it is made in China now anyway.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »
That is largely because it was a targeted and funded political manuever and nothing more.  There was very little "grass roots" about it.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 04:28:29 PM »
My main issue with WalMart is poor management and slow checkers.  If I go to HEB grocery store at a busy time, they have enough checkers to handle the load and they are moving.  If I go to WalMart, there is a long line at the Self-Check lanes because the small number of regular check lanes are moving so slow, few want to wait. 

The quote earlier about reducing prices made me get the idea they were trying to lower prices to make up for poor management.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »
The market will curb or destroy Walmart as it sees fit. More brands will tell them to FOAD, and seek other avenues and models where they can maintain the margins they need. Or the merchandise will get so cheap it's indistinguishable from Dollar Store quality.

There's no need for people that ought to know better to engage in borderline OWS whining/class envy over it.  Nobody's engaging in any transactions not of their own free will.

There's only ONE entity in the United States everyone is FORCED to do business with, and that's our government.
I promise not to duck.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 05:18:02 PM »
The market will curb or destroy Walmart as it sees fit. More brands will tell them to FOAD, and seek other avenues and models where they can maintain the margins they need.

This.  After all, it's not like there aren't tons of brands that survive entirely without WalMart.  Frankly, I'd like to see some of the ones that used to be identified with quality (Gerber, HP, etc.) pull out, ditch their cut rate lines and go back to the days of "if it's got our name on it, you can count on it" rather than "if it's got our name, and the model number doesn't end with WM, you can count on it."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
I recall reading somewhere that some manufacturers produce products for Wal Mart that appear to be the same as their products in other stores, but have some corners cut to keep prices down.  Shorter cords on appliances.  Cheaper materials.  Heard that Coleman has Wal Mart tents that are inferior to others that look the same as ones they sell through camping stores for higher prices.  Ignorant consumers get bit, but Wal Mart looks good.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 06:01:52 PM »
Coleman tents are inferior to others.

Fixed it for you.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 06:07:18 PM »
Same thing happened to us when I worked at OCP.  Walmart put a lot of pressure on us to reduce prices/our margin.  We started to use cheap materials/cut corners to reduce our costs and still try to maintain our margins.  We had three levels of coolers and lunchboxes.  A) Cheapest stuff we could make- Walmart specific items, B) Almost as cheap - Kmart (Hack, *spit*), and C) Our "Regular" high quality stuff, that went mainly to Target and all the other retailers we sold to.

Eventually Wal-mart went around us to our factories in China and had them make stuff directly for them (modifying them enough to avoid the entire patent infringement thing.)

Then Wal-mart put 75% of those factories out of business.   Kartma, she be a female dog....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 12:27:20 AM »
The market will curb or destroy Walmart as it sees fit. More brands will tell them to FOAD, and seek other avenues and models where they can maintain the margins they need. Or the merchandise will get so cheap it's indistinguishable from Dollar Store quality.

There's no need for people that ought to know better to engage in borderline OWS whining/class envy over it.  Nobody's engaging in any transactions not of their own free will.

There's only ONE entity in the United States everyone is FORCED to do business with, and that's our government.

100% this. No one HAS to sell through Walmart, and plenty of successful brands don't.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 12:53:07 AM »
Same thing happened to us when I worked at OCP.  Walmart put a lot of pressure on us to reduce prices/our margin.  We started to use cheap materials/cut corners to reduce our costs and still try to maintain our margins.  We had three levels of coolers and lunchboxes.  A) Cheapest stuff we could make- Walmart specific items, B) Almost as cheap - Kmart (Hack, *spit*), and C) Our "Regular" high quality stuff, that went mainly to Target and all the other retailers we sold to.

Eventually Wal-mart went around us to our factories in China and had them make stuff directly for them (modifying them enough to avoid the entire patent infringement thing.)

Then Wal-mart put 75% of those factories out of business.   Kartma, she be a female dog....

I have to know,  we're the ED-209's really as glitchy as they say?
I promise not to duck.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 01:02:15 AM »
We were Outer Circle Products makers of family and kid friendly coolers, lLunch boxes, CD and cassette cases.    Omni Consumer Products was full of evil scientists engineers.

:P :P :P
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 07:19:23 AM »
I don't understand, Hawkmoon.  Are you upset because Walmart wants to lower the cost of things people buy there?  Or are you upset because Walmart has asked its vendors to lower their costs to Walmart?  Or something else?

See Charby's post directly beneath your question. Wal-Mart is not nicknamed "China Mart" for nothing.

I have no problem with any merchant buying a manufacturer's product and cutting its (the merchant's) margins in order to beat the competition and increase volume. That's a simple business decision. When you get to a size that you become a manufacturer's largest customer, and then demand that the manufacturer cut its margins to below profitability (so that YOU can continue to make a profit while still lowering your prices), that's not good business, that's blackmail. And that's exactly what nearly put Rubbermaid out of business ten or fifteen years ago.

Eff Wal-Mart. They are killing America. And they don't care.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 08:16:03 AM »
One would think that Sam Walton is spinning in his grave.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2015, 09:24:23 AM »
When you get to a size that you become a manufacturer's largest customer,

That sounds like the problem is with the manufacturer, not Walmart.  Something about not putting all of one's eggs in one basket.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?