Author Topic: Airlines Ban Firearms in Checked Luggage Pre-Inauguration  (Read 865 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Airlines Ban Firearms in Checked Luggage Pre-Inauguration
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:13:36 AM »
I just saw on the TV that all major airlines are banning firearms in checked luggage prior to the inauguration for any flights going to the DC area. They didn't say what the "DC area" was. Curious how that will work for people going elsewhere, but having to pass through Dulles, or wherever else in "the area".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Airlines Ban Firearms in Checked Luggage Pre-Inauguration
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »
I saw a post that listed several airports that were included in the restriction.

Why would anyone check firearms in a flight to that area if they intended to cause trouble?  That makes no sense at all.  They want to participate it the "revolution" but they have to be back at work on Monday.   ???

It seems to me it might be a push to ban them all together.  We will see.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:05 AM »
It seems to me it might be a push to ban them all together.  We will see.

Brings up the tangential question - can fed.gov ban firearms transport on commercial carriers? I don't know that they would push that given all the other stuff they want to ban. AFAIK, there is a relatively small population of us that fly with firearms.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
Brings up the tangential question - can fed.gov ban firearms transport on commercial carriers? I don't know that they would push that given all the other stuff they want to ban. AFAIK, there is a relatively small population of us that fly with firearms.

Who/what is going to stop them if they do?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 09:33:36 AM »
Who/what is going to stop them if they do?

Probably no one, but my question was if this would be on their radar with all the other stuff they want to do right now.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 11:29:00 AM »
Carry on commercial carrier aircraft is spelled out in federal law -- 49 C.F.R. § 1540.111.

https://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-9.1.3.5.8.2.10.6.html

All they need to do is revise the law.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 11:55:44 AM »
Carry on commercial carrier aircraft is spelled out in federal law -- 49 C.F.R. § 1540.111.

https://law.justia.com/cfr/title49/49-9.1.3.5.8.2.10.6.html

All they need to do is revise the law.

At a glance the law seems clear and unambiguous. If the FAA is suddenly banning firearms in checked baggage, they are breaking it. Maybe the 2A-friendly tile crawlers can use this to figuratively thump a few heads?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 11:59:50 AM »
Who said the FAA is banning them? I saw an a blurb saying the airlines were choosing not carry them.

griz

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 01:09:06 PM »
With appropriate tin foil hat on:  Maybe it's just a convenient chance for a test to see what the airlines can get away with.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
Who said the FAA is banning them? I saw an a blurb saying the airlines were choosing not carry them.

To be clear, that's what I mentioned in the OP. The airlines are doing it.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 01:48:06 PM »
To be clear, that's what I mentioned in the OP. The airlines are doing it.

Oops, that's that I get for not reading it thoroughly.

That being the case, is there anything that holds an airline to that law, or is it simply a limit on what the FAA can restrict?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »
Oops, that's that I get for not reading it thoroughly.

That being the case, is there anything that holds an airline to that law, or is it simply a limit on what the FAA can restrict?

Brad

IANAL, but I think as a common carrier there are limits to what they can restrict.  But who is going to enforce those limits?  The .gov will be pushing them to restrict even more even if that violates the law.
"It's good, though..."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 05:11:07 PM »
I'm not sure about the legalities of banning transport of firearms for the general public, but my company has always prevented non-rev (employee travel) from checking firearms.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?