Author Topic: Frazil Ice  (Read 8997 times)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Frazil Ice
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:24:06 PM »
I never heard of this before.  Very interesting, very pretty.  Could also be a very easy way to die.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/24/frazil-ice-fascinati.html

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

grampster

• friend
Re: Frazil Ice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 08:08:54 PM »
When I was a kid I recall a nearby creek doing that here in W. Michigan.  Not nearly as dramatic as the clip.  When I saw the clip it jiggled an old memory.  I don't remember why or what the conditions were but I do recollect seeing something similar.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 08:51:55 PM »
When I saw the clip it jiggled an old memory.  I don't remember why or what the conditions were but I do recollect seeing something similar.

I love it when that kind of stuff happens.  Occasionally I'll get a whiff of a smell that will bring back something that's not so much a memory, but a feeling of a memory.  Sometimes it will be so strong that it will make me a tad dizzy for a moment.  Does that happen to you too?

Either that or it's a stroke coming on.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:44:40 PM »
Oh, yea, baby - some nice childhood flashbacks!

Of course, that was when is was safe for us kids to be in the woods all day, all year-round!

Jamie
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:15:48 PM »
Oh yeah.  I was born in 1943, so I grew up in some great times for a kid.  We had woods and creeks and a river along with a huge rail yard nearby.  They had a blacksmith shop and repaired the great and grand steam engines.  Huge roundtable.  In the summer we were gone after breakfast till dark.  Bicycles, lunch in our packs.  BB guns, swimming in the gravel pits and gypsum pits.  Picking Dumps and hopping freights. Playing war in the woods.   Building rafts and catching fish and cooking birds and fish and other wild game over open fires.  Neighborhood track meets, baseball, football, sledding and skiing.  Hockey on the gypsum strip mines.  Capture the flag at dusk.  Boy scouts and camping out.  60 kids or more in the classroom run by 4'10 inch nun.  Playing monopoly for 3 days on the porch.  Sleeping outside in the summer.  Hooking rides by grabbing the bumper of the occasional car passing by in the winter.  Walking home from school for lunch.  Sneaking in to high school football games.  Trick or treating and soaping windows, knocking over outhouses, cooning apples, melons, peaches from the nearby orchards and farms late at night.  Being a kid at the beginning of RocknRoll.  Elvis and Bill Hayley and Little Richard and all the great white and black singers and groups.  Enjoying the Big Bands and Rock and Roll.  Riske comedy listening to 78 records from Rusty Warren in Knockers Up.  Moms Mabley.  78 records and the advent of the 45.  Laker pipes and splits.

Memories...
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »
Guy I know that used to work in the Alaskan oil fields likes to tell about watching rivers freezing over solid in mere seconds.  I'm guessing it's about the same thing, supercooling of the water due to movement not allow it to solidify at 32deg.  At some critical instant one spot solidifies and the effect cascades throughout the entire river.  He said it was beyond impressive and he never would have believed it if he hadn't see it with his own eyes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 12:02:05 AM »
I love it when that kind of stuff happens.  Occasionally I'll get a whiff of a smell that will bring back something that's not so much a memory, but a feeling of a memory.  Sometimes it will be so strong that it will make me a tad dizzy for a moment.  Does that happen to you too?

Either that or it's a stroke coming on.

DD

Smell is supposedly one of the most powerful stimulants of the human memory there is.  Atleast, that doesn't require a physician's prescription. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 12:03:22 AM »
Smell is supposedly one of the most powerful stimulants of the human memory there is.  Atleast, that doesn't require a physician's prescription. 

:lol:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »
I live on a lake in Michigan.  I've seen the lake freeze in moments when the weather was just right...cold and no wind...a ripple then boom..ice.  Bitter cold, quiet nights one can hear the lake making ice...long drawn out booms and weird deep basso sounds that are like stereo.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:30:14 PM »
I've seen the lake freeze in moments when the weather was just right...cold and no wind...a ripple then boom..ice.  Bitter cold, quiet nights one can hear the lake making ice...long drawn out booms and weird deep basso sounds that are like stereo.

I'd love to see and hear that!

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »
I'd love to see and hear that!

DD

dress warmly
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »
dress warmly

No prob.  I was a Boy Scout in Ohio a few decades ago.  Slept on frozen ground more than once.  Used to sleep with my bedroom window open while there was snow on the sill.  Being in Vegas hasn't thinned my blood too much.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 12:38:43 AM »
No prob.  I was a Boy Scout in Ohio a few decades ago.  Slept on frozen ground more than once.  Used to sleep with my bedroom window open while there was snow on the sill.  Being in Vegas hasn't thinned my blood too much.

DD

I'm constantly pleasantly surprised at the stuff I learned ( that I'm still doing ) in scouting in the 70's, our troop would go camping once a month and our mtngs were geared to planning and going on the camping trips.

One of the things I'm using currently is sleeping with my next days clothes in the sleeping bag with me/next to me so they warm when I wake up.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 06:39:35 AM »

I know exactly what you are talking about. Be walking outside and catch a certain smell and you get that feeling of a memory, not necessarily the memory itself but that there is a memory there, sort of nostalgic.

Oh yeah.  I was born in 1943, so I grew up in some great times for a kid.  We had woods and creeks and a river along with a huge rail yard nearby.  They had a blacksmith shop and repaired the great and grand steam engines.  Huge roundtable.  In the summer we were gone after breakfast till dark.  Bicycles, lunch in our packs.  BB guns, swimming in the gravel pits and gypsum pits.  Picking Dumps and hopping freights. Playing war in the woods.   Building rafts and catching fish and cooking birds and fish and other wild game over open fires.  Neighborhood track meets, baseball, football, sledding and skiing.  Hockey on the gypsum strip mines.  Capture the flag at dusk.  Boy scouts and camping out.  60 kids or more in the classroom run by 4'10 inch nun.  Playing monopoly for 3 days on the porch.  Sleeping outside in the summer.  Hooking rides by grabbing the bumper of the occasional car passing by in the winter.  Walking home from school for lunch.  Sneaking in to high school football games.  Trick or treating and soaping windows, knocking over outhouses, cooning apples, melons, peaches from the nearby orchards and farms late at night.  Being a kid at the beginning of RocknRoll.  Elvis and Bill Hayley and Little Richard and all the great white and black singers and groups.  Enjoying the Big Bands and Rock and Roll.  Riske comedy listening to 78 records from Rusty Warren in Knockers Up.  Moms Mabley.  78 records and the advent of the 45.  Laker pipes and splits.

Wow. I feel like I really missed out. :( Whenever I have kids I hope to be able to give them great memories like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:01:21 AM »
Wow. I feel like I really missed out. :( Whenever I have kids I hope to be able to give them great memories like that.

I'm only 37 and did much of that myself.  It depends more on where you lived than the decade.

Chris

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:03:38 AM »
I'm only 37 and did much of that myself.  It depends more on where you lived than the decade.

Chris

+1 for Small Town, America

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »

DD
Much of it is the same over here. Playing war in the woods, using firecrackers as grenades. Baking potatoes in aluminium foil in a camp fire with my cousins. Building a rather neat shelter. Using knives, and I still have all my fingers left (the scars hardly show these days :laugh: ). Clearing up an old dirtbike track so we could ride our mountain bikes along it at breakneck speeds down hills and over a rickety bridge crossing the stream. Building a jetty in a small disgusting pond, just to have somewhere to anchor the raft that was planned but never built. Shooting air rifles. Airsoft wars in the woods. Trying to make beer. Wading into the stream to free a poor frog in a cruel trap made from a plastic bottle. Looking for spent shotgun shells and missed clays at an informal clay shooting range. Walking through cow pastures with grazing cows.

It was good to be a kid...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

Where I grew up, I thought that anyone living in a town was a city-slicker. Our house was on a gravel road.

(I'm thirty-four, and I also played in the woods or rode my bike all day long.)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »
Bet you rode that bike real good.  Gravel roads teach you not to fall.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 11:35:25 PM »
Bet you rode that bike real good.  Gravel roads teach you not to fall.

DD

BTDT, still got the scars on my knees.

And heck, I turned out just fine!  ;)

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24:33 AM »
BTDT, still got the scars on my knees.

But I'm a slow learner.  I had to absorb the gravel road lesson on a Kawasaki

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 02:52:41 AM »
But I'm a slow learner.  I had to absorb the gravel road lesson on a Kawasaki

DD
I crashed with my moped at the age of 15 (or perhaps 14, seeing as I rode illegally outside of town where I lived before I was allowed to ride). IIRC, I got my leg stuck under the exhaust pipe, as well as tearing away a chunk of skin the size of a coin on my arm. I'm surprised I walked away relatively unscathed...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

grampster

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:26 PM »
Diagonal RR tracks crossing a road is not your friend when riding a bicycle.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »
Diagonal RR tracks crossing a road is not your friend when riding a bicycle.
Tell me about it. Lost a good friend who died crossing them and he was wearing a Bell bicycle helmet at the time! Hit his head when he went down and was DRT! His widow sued Bell and lost. She had JUST given birth to his son a few days prior...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »
They have bicycle helmets now?  =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife