Author Topic: In Defense of Looting  (Read 1699 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
In Defense of Looting
« on: August 29, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »
I'm not sure that it's possible to get more white guilt than this:

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/08/29/this-is-absolutely-batst-quotes-from-npr-interview-with-author-of-in-defense-of-looting-send-heads-crashing-to-desks/

Also, why are my tax dollars still going to NPR? They can either start to earn a living on their own or take donations or whatever, but enough with my tax money going to them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: In Defense of Looting
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 01:32:08 PM »
There was an article somewhere that basically stated that it's not looting but reparations
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 01:37:32 PM »
That lady is nuttier than squirrel poop.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 01:38:17 PM »
So...we can take as many copies of this as we want without paying?
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 01:39:40 PM »
There was an article somewhere that basically stated that it's not looting but reparations

And they'll decide how much reparations you are to pay to achieve "social justice". [spoiler alert] It will never be enough.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 01:47:46 PM »
And they'll decide how much reparations you are to pay to achieve "social justice". [spoiler alert] It will never be enough.

Black Lives Matter Chicago organizer says looting is 'reparation
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/aug/11/ariel-atkins-blm-chicago-organizer-says-looting-is/

BLM organizer who called looting ‘reparations’ dismisses peaceful protesting
https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/blm-organizer-who-called-looting-reparations-doubles-down/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 02:24:57 PM »
So if burning down a black church gives somone a sense of joy and liberation...

I mean, hey, if the church is empty, it's just property right? Terrible, racist property?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 03:52:54 PM »
IMHO looters are actually applying for another position: bullet catcher.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 08:51:21 AM »
On another note, the Trump campaign needs to disseminate this in their ads:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1300290897922453504

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 09:39:57 AM »
IMHO looters are actually applying for another position: bullet catcher.

Live action ballistic gel.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
About that insurance narrative

Dozens of owners whose Twin Cities properties were severely damaged in the May riots have been stunned to discover that the money they would collect from their insurance company for demolition won’t come close to the actual costs of doing the job. https://t.co/eWg6iHodjD

— Star Tribune (@StarTribune) August 31, 2020

And this will no doubt be a big fat no

Kamala Harris helped raise money for the rioters who destroyed these businesses.

Will she help raise money for the business owners who are suffering now? https://t.co/zDcEMktfoF

— Cabot Phillips (@cabot_phillips) August 31, 2020

Who saw this coming? Turns out insurance isn’t going to cover the costs of rioters’ destruction of Minneapolis business owners’ property
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/08/31/who-saw-this-coming-turns-out-insurance-isnt-going-to-cover-the-costs-of-rioters-destruction-of-minneapolis-business-owners-property/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 12:48:45 PM »

Who saw this coming? Turns out insurance isn’t going to cover the costs of rioters’ destruction of Minneapolis business owners’ property
https://twitchy.com/sarahd-313035/2020/08/31/who-saw-this-coming-turns-out-insurance-isnt-going-to-cover-the-costs-of-rioters-destruction-of-minneapolis-business-owners-property/

It rarely is even in other circumstances. I think most people try to get away with the cheapest options for insurance that they can, and I often can't blame them, but it most often means they'll be holding the bag for part of their rebuild costs. Most people also attribute an extremely small possibility to looters and thugs burning their property to the ground, and I reckon that will change, as will insurance company policies regarding what they will cover.

In the link, $25K for demolition actually sounds pretty darn low. $300K may be too high, but demo ain't cheap either.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 01:16:56 PM »
Most policies limit reimbursement to $25,000 to $50,000, but contractors have been submitting bids of $200,000 to $300,000. In many cases, the price of the work is not much lower than the actual value of the property, records show.

“I think that is price-gouging and they should contact the attorney general,” said Andrea Jenkins, vice president of the Minneapolis City Council. “That is a symbol of capitalism run amok.”

I agree that 200K to 300K is BS, but something tells me there is licensing, disposal fees, permits, and all sorts of other requirements that the city council put in place that make it cost a lot more than $25K. 

I would also be curious if the insurance company knew how much that stuff cost when they wrote the policy, but left the amounts low to keep the insurance cost low.  Probably plenty of blame to go around. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »
I agree that 200K to 300K is BS, but something tells me there is licensing, disposal fees, permits, and all sorts of other requirements that the city council put in place that make it cost a lot more than $25K.  

I would also be curious if the insurance company knew how much that stuff cost when they wrote the policy, but left the amounts low to keep the insurance cost low.  Probably plenty of blame to go around.  

How bad is the building damaged?  $300k to safely implode a two or three story building in the middle of a city, cart away and dispose of the debris, while getting all needed permits and complying with federal, state, and local laws?  I could see that.

Superfund sites don't exist because cleanup is cheap.

ETA: Also these neighborhoods don't tend to be in the newest areas.  Can anyone say Asbestos?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
Take the insurance payout and walk away?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 02:34:26 PM »

I would also be curious if the insurance company knew how much that stuff cost when they wrote the policy, but left the amounts low to keep the insurance cost low.  Probably plenty of blame to go around. 

That bitch running her mouth is part of the problem...one of the last reports I heard about rebuilding hurdles is the city council is making owners of destroyed businesses pay next years taxes before issuing a demo permit
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
That bitch running her mouth is part of the problem...one of the last reports I heard about rebuilding hurdles is the city council is making owners of destroyed businesses pay next years taxes before issuing a demo permit

All restaurants cities will be Taco Bell Detroit
- Calvin and Hobbes

Pb

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 03:14:01 PM »
I wonder if she would change her mind if someone looted her house?   ???

JN01

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 03:19:00 PM »
It rarely is even in other circumstances. I think most people try to get away with the cheapest options for insurance that they can, and I often can't blame them, but it most often means they'll be holding the bag for part of their rebuild costs. Most people also attribute an extremely small possibility to looters and thugs burning their property to the ground, and I reckon that will change, as will insurance company policies regarding what they will cover.

In the link, $25K for demolition actually sounds pretty darn low. $300K may be too high, but demo ain't cheap either.

They could just plaster the place with Trump campaign signs.  Peaceful protesters will finish the demo for free.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 04:15:20 PM »
How bad is the building damaged?  $300k to safely implode a two or three story building in the middle of a city, cart away and dispose of the debris, while getting all needed permits and complying with federal, state, and local laws?  I could see that.

Superfund sites don't exist because cleanup is cheap.

ETA: Also these neighborhoods don't tend to be in the newest areas.  Can anyone say Asbestos?
Asbestos would certainly do it as well as a more complicated demo.  The picture with the article shows a building that is just a pile of ash. 

But if the city was really interested in helping business owners rebuild, they could probably do a lot of help. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 04:38:09 PM »
Just monitor who ends up going in and taking ownership of the property.

Then start looking for the connections with local pols, Democrats and Republicans.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.