Author Topic: Tree Guys With a Smart Phone Addiction  (Read 873 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Tree Guys With a Smart Phone Addiction
« on: May 21, 2020, 01:53:01 PM »
I'm cracking up right now.  I have a tree service out taking care of a few big trees that I labeled as too dangerous for me. A crew of young kids, all look to be in their 20s. Every time any of them has more than one minute free, they're on their phone even if only for 30 seconds. It almost seems like more work than anything else since they have to pull their gloves off and they lift their headgear to see their phone.  :laugh:

On an immediate tangent, man, do they seem to be worth the money. They've already done in a half an hour what I would be taking half a day to do. This whole job would probably be something I'd stretch out over a week, and they'll be done with everything in it looks like 4-5 hours.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Tree Guys With a Smart Phone Addiction
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »
First to say OK Boomer
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 02:13:28 PM »
First to say OK Boomer

Charby will be disappointed that you beat him to it.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »
Tangent #2: It was really interesting watching these guys work. They brought out the full gamut of Stihl saws, including the big ass 36" lumberjack saws, but did probably 75% of their work with what's called "in-tree" little chainsaws with 10" and 12" bars. Including cutting limbs of near those diameters. They were using those both in the manlift and when limbing the fallen trees on the ground.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 08:27:03 PM »
It's easier to check the 'gram when you're one-handing a little chainsaw.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:23 PM »
Little chainsaw = less weight.  Less weight = less work.  Less work = less tired at end of shift.  Less tired at end of shift = can stay up later using phone.

Who says kids don't think of the future?

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 10:14:19 PM »
--Tree-worker looking at phone while using chainsaw cuts off his arm--

Co-worker: "What happened?"

Tree-Worker with confused look on his face: "I'm stumped!"
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 10:35:05 PM »
My tree guys were worth every penny. I had some trash spruce the previous owners planted and it was leaning towards my garage after the power company continually limbed the other side. I finally quit procrastinating and decided to see if I could con the power company into removing it. They said they would, but they wanted to take out another spruce too that was also close to the line. I guess they expected and argument from me. They were even nice enough to find the yellowjackets underneath that one. Also did most of their work with a little climbing saw. Same Stihl in tree saw my dad came home from Rural King with after a trip in which he needed nothing and bought everything. Got the tree saw because it was easier to start. This from the triple bypass, three stroke, blood thinner guy with a pacemaker that really shouldn't even have a saw. He got a nice Milwaukee battery operated saw and his wife was happy since the gas saws can freak out a pacemaker. I noted that this just meant she could no longer hear him out cutting wood by himself.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.