Main Forums > Politics

Poland at loggerheads with the EU...

(1/5) > >>

K Frame:
Anyone following this?

Essentially, Poland's supreme court has issued a series of rulings that some EU laws are contrary to the Polish Constitution, so those EU laws are null and void.

That's setting the stage for a very interesting battle between the entities, and has led to the EU's top court ordering Poland to suspend its Supreme Court.

The latest is that the EU is demanding Poland pay a penalty of 1 million Euros a day for every day it ignores the EU court's ruling.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/27/poland-ordered-to-pay-1-million-euros-a-day-in-law-battle-with-the-eu.html

There have been a number of EU/member state crises before, the most notable being the Greek monetary debacle and Great Britain's withdrawal, but this one is fundamentally different in that it goes to the very heart of whose law takes precedence in a nation.

MechAg94:
I hadn't heard of that, but I am glad to see Poland's judges had the balls to make those rulings.

Ben:
I think many European countries are getting to the "last straw" point with the EU. While the German government is pretty pro-EU, even there, the citizens are grumbling. I can't have a single conversation with most any of my relatives - even some of the liberal ones - without them going off about something the EU is doing.

I'd love to see countries like Poland and the Czech Republic pull a Brexit.

Northwoods:

--- Quote from: Ben on October 27, 2021, 09:16:15 AM ---I think many European countries are getting to the "last straw" point with the EU. While the German government is pretty pro-EU, even there, the citizens are grumbling. I can't have a single conversation with most any of my relatives - even some of the liberal ones - without them going off about something the EU is doing.

I'd love to see countries like Poland and the Czech Republic pull a Brexit.

--- End quote ---

Such things usually happen very gradually, and then quite suddenly.

MechAg94:
Another example of how one govt would never work for long without very harsh subjugation. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version