Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 2053 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Raspberry Pi
« on: November 15, 2020, 05:07:20 PM »
Any experts or enthusiasts here?  They just crossed onto my radar and am thinking about buying a couple (a Zero W and a 4B)  I used to work on single board computers in the mid-1980's; embedded systems doing stuff like protocol conversions for gas pipeline controls.  I can't believe you can get this much for $10 now.  I'll try run a full Linux desktop on the 4B, and not sure what I'll do with the 0W but I gotta see what the low end model will do.

What kind of case to put the 4B in?  The official RPi model 4 case looks like it would overheat.  (plastic box, no vents)  Or maybe you're supposed to take the cover off when in use, and the top is just for carrying it in your pocket or purse.  I'd like to run it fanless if possible, but the heat's gotta be able to escape somewhere.  Maybe get one of the aftermarket cases with a fan, and run the fan at low-speed so it's quiet.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
I've got a Pi 3, a Pi 3B+, and a Pi 4b 4GB.  The Pi 3 has been dedicated to an ADS-B setup.  The Pi 3b+ is being used for Octoprint attached to my Ender 3 Pro 3D printer.  The Pi 4b is on my bench being used for general hobby stuff, testing project ideas as they come up.
I've always purchased my Raspberry Pi units from Amazon, the Pi 3 and Pi 3b+ were CanaKits that came with cases.  I purchased the Pi 4 as a standalone, along with a Freenove starter kit that came with a fan cooled case, power supply and switch, 32GB SD card, heat sinks and some other items.  The Pi 4b has not had any heating issues with that case.  Both the Pi 4b and Freenove case from Amazon.
Overall I really like the Pi computers.  They are really handy and you get a lot of bang for the buck.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 08:38:31 PM »
I've built several Pi Zeros into pi carts, and they run well as emulators.  Literally just followed the instructions at the link.  If you end up wanting to build one LMK and I'll send you all the games I've collected.

https://howchoo.com/g/mti0oge5nzk/pi-cart-a-raspberry-pi-retro-gaming-rig-in-an-nes-cartridge
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2020, 10:31:40 PM »
I love Pi's.  For cases, I've 3d printed them from time to time, when I'm not using a pi directly embedded in some other project enclosure.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2020, 10:44:35 PM »
I had a pi I used for a few things once. Did you see the new one that comes with a keyboard case? My biggest problem was that buying a case added cost and hassle, and the keyboard stole one of the USB slots, so I really like the idea of the keyboard one at least for prototyping.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 11:04:09 PM »
I had a pi I used for a few things once. Did you see the new one that comes with a keyboard case? My biggest problem was that buying a case added cost and hassle, and the keyboard stole one of the USB slots, so I really like the idea of the keyboard one at least for prototyping.

I have seen that one and I'm intrigued by it, but what do you do if the keyboard breaks?  Or just sucks?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Zero W kit.  (and a vuvuzela, but that's a whole nuther discussion)  I'll figure out exactly what I want for the 4B and accessories after I get my feet wet with the low-end model.  Eventually the 0W will probably be a logger for a TILT hydrometer for my beer brewing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748MPQT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AHALS71WJO58T
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R28EHU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A261IC1H2MRB3K
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 01:19:33 AM »
Including using it for this post I've been using a Pi for years 24/7 as a network bridge. My daughter has a couple she plays with sometimes.

They are great little computers that can do more than you might think.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 03:09:55 AM »
A friend of mine in Greece ran a hotel as a family business for ten or fifteen years. He has now pulled back for a breather, leaving his father to run the business. The hotel is an apartment type location, with three multi-unit buildings and a central office building. He used Pi s as repeaters to get WiFi to all the apartments. I had never heard of them when he mentioned it so I don't have any details, but they have been in place for a number of years and, as far as I know, they are still doing the job.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2020, 08:09:37 PM »
I've got a Raspberry Pi 3 with a CanaKit case.  I've left it on for days with the case closed and never had a problem.  They have a decent heatsink and generate almost no heat.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2020, 10:03:17 PM »
I have seen that one and I'm intrigued by it, but what do you do if the keyboard breaks?  Or just sucks?

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a Zero W kit.  (and a vuvuzela, but that's a whole nuther discussion)  I'll figure out exactly what I want for the 4B and accessories after I get my feet wet with the low-end model.  Eventually the 0W will probably be a logger for a TILT hydrometer for my beer brewing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0748MPQT4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AHALS71WJO58T
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002R28EHU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A261IC1H2MRB3K

What's the difference between a Pi and a Zero W? (Other than the Zero W being half the price of a Pi?)

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2020, 10:14:34 PM »
What's the difference between a Pi and a Zero W? (Other than the Zero W being half the price of a Pi?)

The Pi Zero has a single-core processor, only 512MB RAM, and not as many ports (just one USB, no Ethernet, etc.)  It also uses less power.  And it costs $5.  The Pi Zero W is a Zero with built-in wifi and Bluetooth, and costs $10.  That's about all I know about them at this point.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 10:42:25 PM »
The Pi Zero has a single-core processor, only 512MB RAM, and not as many ports (just one USB, no Ethernet, etc.)  It also uses less power.  And it costs $5.  The Pi Zero W is a Zero with built-in wifi and Bluetooth, and costs $10.  That's about all I know about them at this point.

Those are both Zeros. What's the difference between a Zero (or Zero W) and a Pi 3B or Pi 4?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 12:16:18 AM »
Those are both Zeros. What's the difference between a Zero (or Zero W) and a Pi 3B or Pi 4?

I answered that part first :)  "The Pi Zero has a single-core processor, only 512MB RAM, and not as many ports (just one USB, no Ethernet, etc.)  It also uses less power.  And it costs $5."

Pi 3 and 4 have 4 USBs and Ethernet and more RAM, and more powerful processors.  I don't really know all the differences between a 3 and a 4; the 4 has two HDMI ports instead of one (the 3 might have that also), a much more powerful processor, and USB 3.0
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 12:18:57 AM »
Fascinating. [/Spock voice]

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 10:42:13 PM »
My Pi ZeroW came in the mail today.  I just got it set up.  I have not plugged a monitor or keyboard into it yet, I wanted to see if I could get it to connect to the wifi. (it did)  Then I was able to use ssh to sign onto it remotely.  And I ran the config program to expand the file system to use the whole micro SD card.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it next; I really should test the HDMI and USB ports.

It's amazing how tiny this thing is.

Then maybe check out pi-hole, and retro arcade games...
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2020, 07:38:35 AM »
I'm a computer dummy but the concept of Pi-Hole running on a home network is intriguing. If someone gets Piu-Hole up and running, either on a Pi 3 or 4 or on a ZeroW, I would appreciate it if you would explain exactly how to do it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
I'm a computer dummy but the concept of Pi-Hole running on a home network is intriguing. If someone gets Piu-Hole up and running, either on a Pi 3 or 4 or on a ZeroW, I would appreciate it if you would explain exactly how to do it.

I'm looking at my router config page, and I think a pi-hole would break the guest network.  Unless I can make a firewall rule to allow just that address to be seen by the guest side.  But it won't cost anything to try it while nobody is using the guest network
"It's good, though..."

2nd_to_one

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 01:16:50 PM »
Hawkmoon, have you taken a look at the instructions on the Pi-hole site? They are pretty much step-by-step to get you up and running easily even if they do look a little bit intimidating if you are not familiar with Linux command line :).

Zxcvbob, The Pi-hole takes the place of the Domain Name Server(s) assigned in your router so unless you have a router in which you are unable to change the DNS server addresses the Pi-hole should work just fine.  I have personally never seen a router where the DNS was different for a guest network and a private network in the same router but even then you should be able to use the same DNS for both. 

It is important to ensure that the Pi-Hole device has a "static" IP address in your router so that it always get the same one but that is also quite easy to do in most modern routers that I've used.

Regards,
Steve

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 01:58:07 PM »
It is important to ensure that the Pi-Hole device has a "static" IP address in your router so that it always get the same one but that is also quite easy to do in most modern routers that I've used.

Regards,
Steve

Most modern routers make that easy with an address reservation feature.  Using address reservation will ensure the Pi (or other device) will always be assigned the same IP address in a system set for DHCP.
I used address reservation for two of my Raspberry Pi computers, one used with an ADS-B receiver and one running Octoprint for my 3D printer.  Those two Raspberries are always assigned the same IP address while the rest of the the devices on my network (there are a bunch) are assigned random IPs when they log on.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
Hawkmoon, have you taken a look at the instructions on the Pi-hole site? They are pretty much step-by-step to get you up and running easily even if they do look a little bit intimidating if you are not familiar with Linux command line :).

Zxcvbob, The Pi-hole takes the place of the Domain Name Server(s) assigned in your router so unless you have a router in which you are unable to change the DNS server addresses the Pi-hole should work just fine.  I have personally never seen a router where the DNS was different for a guest network and a private network in the same router but even then you should be able to use the same DNS for both. 

Regards,
Steve

I can change the DNS server address in the router; I did that recently and it points to AdGuard DNS.  What I'm wondering is will the guest network be able to reach the Pi when it's on the trusted side (or vice versa.)

I used nslookup to see what my DNS was on my laptop and it says 192.168.1.1, so maybe the client devices don't need to reach the DNS directly, the router may handle that.  (in a few days i will know because I will have tried it by then :)
"It's good, though..."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »
I used nslookup to see what my DNS was on my laptop and it says 192.168.1.1, so maybe the client devices don't need to reach the DNS directly, the router may handle that.  (in a few days i will know because I will have tried it by then :)
Typically your router will provide itself as DNS for devices it issues IP addresses to.  if you change the DNS for your router, it will still do that, but instead of using whatever DNS it received via DHCP it will use the address you provide.  So the router needs to access the PiHole. The guest network just needs to access the router.

Note also that in DHCP settings you could specify a different DNS server to be issued, but if you want it to be global that isn’t where you’d want to make this change.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 05:33:19 PM »
First attempt at a pi-hole was a spectacular failure :D  I had no access to the Internet because all DNS failed.  I rebooted the pi just to make sure that wasn't it, and it didn't help.  I told the router to obtain its own DNS and everything started working again.  I think maybe it didn't like having a non-routable address (192.168.1.143) for the DNS.
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 05:43:57 PM »
First attempt at a pi-hole was a spectacular failure :D  I had no access to the Internet because all DNS failed.  I rebooted the pi just to make sure that wasn't it, and it didn't help.  I told the router to obtain its own DNS and everything started working again.  I think maybe it didn't like having a non-routable address (192.168.1.143) for the DNS.

That sort of thing would break me. That's why I'm waiting for someone to make it work, who can then hopefully explain exactly what I have to do.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 07:17:04 PM »
I haven't visited in a while but maybe Element14?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 02:06:04 AM »
Well, I just set up my third Pi.   I've got one running NesPI (NES and other platform emulator).  One running Octoprint on my E3P 3d printer, and this one I just set up as a Pi-Hole....  Will be nice to nuke ads without triggering ad-blocker detectors.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy