Author Topic: 9 year old ordered not to pitch, told he's "too good" for the rest of his league  (Read 11382 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
What was that line from the Incredibles?

Helen: 'Everyone is special, Dash"

Dash: 'Which is another way of saying no one is.'

"NEW HAVEN, Conn. - Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player  too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Manedwolf

• friend
THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They werent only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

Regolith

• friend
When I played pee-wee football, we had a couple of incidents similar to that.  Our team was very good, to the point where there was a lot of complaints.   Due to this, partway through the season the league instituted a very strange rule:  if you are up by something like 32 points, you automatically win, no matter what quarter it was. If you go OVER that 32 points, you automatically lose

We won a lot of games early that year. 
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

mtnbkr

• friend
Just curious, but since this is a beginner's league, does that mean there is a league for more advanced players?  Is it possible the kid is sandbagging?

We have similar problems in amateur cycling.  So much so that certain disciplines have enacted rules to force folks to move up to the next class when they win X number of races (actually finish in the top 3 or 5).

Years ago, I did some amateur mountain bike racing.  It's very disconcerting to race against folks who are in your class merely so they can pick up a win without any real effort.  Around here, we have folks racing Sport class who are turning in times that would put them in the top third of the Expert class (next step up is Pro).

Maybe the kid does need to be in a different league.

Chris

MicroBalrog

• friend
Helen: 'Everyone is special, Dash"

Dash: 'Which is another way of saying no one is.'

Dash is clearly not very smart. Economic principles do not apply to the (infinite) value of every individual human being.

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Infinite value?

Yeah, that's very humorous.

I've yet to meet more than a very small handful of individuals who are worth more than the sum value of the minerals contained in their worthless space wasting carcasses.

And, I'm not really sure where you think that Dash and Helen are talking about economic principles.

Hint. They're not.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Annoyed Man

THE YEAR WAS 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They werent only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General.

Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

We're heading there at light speed...

Iain

• friend
I got sandbagged as mtnbkr puts it when I was 11. Best badminton junior at the club (lots of kids my age, few in the 13-16 bracket) At the end of year tournament they moved a 16 year old who trained senior all year into the juniors class, won it easily. My runners up trophy still causes me pain to this day.

Oh and - if this article were from the UK I could predict the response, none of which I will repeat.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
IIRC, when my daughter was 9, the kids were allowed to pitch two innings or 18 batters max in a 5 inning game. 

Couple reasons:
1.  Didn't want to wear out one kid's arm.
2.  Every kid was supposed to play a new position every inning.  Come on, they're 9, they're still learning the game and basic skills/strategies/techniques.
3.  Don't start pigeon-holeing kids, otherwise they lose interest and stop playing.

If he's a great pitcher, then great, let him pitch 2 innings and then spend the rest of the game at other positions and on the bench.  I'd hate to see a 12/13/14 year-old having to have Tommy John surgery cause his coaches burn out his arm to win the small town little league championship. 
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MechAg94

• friend
When I played little league baseball years ago, there were two leagues.  3rd and 4th graders played in one and 5th and 6th graders played in another.  I think I was 9 in 4th grade.  We didn't have any silly restrictions.  In the upper league, one pitcher put a ball right over the catcher's glove and hit him in the chest.  They ended up taking the kid to the hospital.  The backup catcher did NOT want to catch.  Smiley

I don't remember anyone suggesting that pitcher not pitch. 

If their leagues are similar, he would be playing in the higher league the next year anyway.  Considering they already played 8 games, let them finish and win the playoffs and all that.  If they want changes, make them next year.

IMO, this sounds like a bunch of bullshit local politics.  Federal politicians have nothing on the crap locals try to pull sometimes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MicroBalrog

• friend
And, I'm not really sure where you think that Dash and Helen are talking about economic principles.

Of course they're not.

But the idea that 'everybody is special means nobody is' is an attempt to apply the economic principle of 'common stuff is less valuable' to human beings. Doesn't work.

Every individual is unique. Thus, every individual is infinitely valuable.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Unique and special are not synonyms.

Especially not when talking about people.

And, just because something, or someone, is unique doesn't automatically imbue it, or them, with some intrinsic, incalculable value.

Manedwolf

• friend
Every individual is unique. Thus, every individual is infinitely valuable.

No, actually, most people are unremarkable trash. And a percentage of those are murderous takers and violent radicals who should be put down the first time they try to attack an innocent person.

You think if those blank-eyed morons yelling "allahu akbar" every time they touch off a rocket at your cities are "valuable", or would be far more useful splattered on the ground as fertilizer. I say the latter.

And here? We have these coming from El Salvador and elsewhere. This is an MS-13 member.

He would just as soon disembowel you with a machete as look at you. Is he a valuable person?

MicroBalrog

• friend
Yes, obviously there are evil people. Should I now put an 'excluding evil morons' sticker on my posts?

[Of course, a lot of the FATAH members,for example are quite valuable people.  I've met a FATAH ex-member at a 'Combatants for PEace' event that was about ten times more cogent and mature than most people I meet at college - but that is a separate story)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Unique and special are not synonyms.

Especially not when talking about people.

And, just because something, or someone, is unique doesn't automatically imbue it, or them, with some intrinsic, incalculable value.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
It's little league, folks.  It's not supposed to be uber competitive.  It's supposed to be fun.  If one team or one player is so good that it becomes unfun for the rest of the little kiddies, then I can understand the organizers' desire to do something about it.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
they did that when i was a kid. a buddy ended up playing soccor with older kids. end result was good for everyone. reverse of that was i played in an over 35 hockey league when i was 25. cause all the others guys said i was a cream puff
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

DJJ

• friend
When I played little league baseball, the 8 and 9 year olds used a pitching machine, which by rule was set at 65.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Who said anything about the kid being uber competitive?

He pitches, he apparently enjoys pitching, so why not let him pitch?

It's not as if he's going to pitch every inning of every game they have.

Would the same ruling apply if there was one kid who was a terror at bat, getting a hit just about every time he came to the plate?

"Sorry, Pugsley, you can't bat anymore. The other kiddies aren't having fun because you always get a hit, so your fun and your abilities have to suffer for the greater psychological good of your lessers."

Or, how about...

"Sorry, Timmy, your piano playing abilities are so much better than the rest of the kids in your recital class that you can't play anymore. You're making them feel bad about themselves."

Yeah, that's a GREAT message to send to a child.

Don't excel in anything, don't stand out. Become a member of the herd.

MechAg94

• friend
Part of competitive sports for kids is to also teach them how to keep fighting even if they lose or are losing.  Doing something like this doesn't accomplish anything.  The fun for the kids is in trying to win and going for the challenge.  If you just want to have fun, just have a big batting practice and don't keep score.  See how much fun they have then.

I can't believe that one team forfeited just because this kid was pitching.  That is just plain stupid and I wouldn't want my kid on that team.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
This is going to be fun. I remember John R. Williams from when I used to work in New Haven many years ago. He's an attorney who gained quite a reputation for suing the city and the police department ... and winning.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
Who said anything about the kid being uber competitive?

He pitches, he apparently enjoys pitching, so why not let him pitch?

It's not as if he's going to pitch every inning of every game they have.

Would the same ruling apply if there was one kid who was a terror at bat, getting a hit just about every time he came to the plate?

"Sorry, Pugsley, you can't bat anymore. The other kiddies aren't having fun because you always get a hit, so your fun and your abilities have to suffer for the greater psychological good of your lessers."

Or, how about...

"Sorry, Timmy, your piano playing abilities are so much better than the rest of the kids in your recital class that you can't play anymore. You're making them feel bad about themselves."

Yeah, that's a GREAT message to send to a child.

Don't excel in anything, don't stand out. Become a member of the herd.

Whoa, cowboy.  Slow down there.  Nobody says the kid shouldn't excel, or that he shouldn't pitch, or that he shouldn't become a great piano master, or whatever other BS you've just spouted.  They're just saying that Little League isn't the place for him to pitch. 

Beating up on little league kids who just want to have a good time isn't a measure of excellence, it's just stupid.  It'd be like sending A-rod to the minor leagues and then marvelling that he can beat everyone.  Stupid. 

Let him pitch for a more advanced team, against older players and better teams.  That way he'll have a real chance to excel and to stretch his abilities, and he won't ruin the experience for everyone else.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
I got sandbagged as mtnbkr puts it when I was 11. Best badminton junior at the club (lots of kids my age, few in the 13-16 bracket) At the end of year tournament they moved a 16 year old who trained senior all year into the juniors class, won it easily. My runners up trophy still causes me pain to this day.

Oh and - if this article were from the UK I could predict the response, none of which I will repeat.

Let it go dude.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Yea, when I was boxing my usual opponenet did not show up for the bout and I got stuck fighting one of the junior coaches casue I was too good for the yonger fighters, he prolly outweighed me by 50 lbs. I was scared shitlees but put up a helluva fight and got my clock cleaned pretty good. Bloody nose, two black eyes and this was all with 16 oz gloves and headgear.    cheesy

The crowd booed the decision against me. I still have the second place trophy, I think I'm over it now.  grin

Anyhoo, I saw a local news thingie on this and unfortunately, they appear to have a legitimate point. Most 9 yos are not experienced enough to handle the kind of heat this kid can throw and the potential for serious injury is definitely there. Kids have been killed by being hit in the CHEST with a fastball, let alone the head. They offered him a chance to play in the next older league up but his MOTHER is the one insisting he should stay where he is. My thought is to tell him to lighten up and then monitor his pitch speed, if he goes over a predetermined speed he's off the mound till the next game and if it persists he's off for good. Teach him control.   smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
"Nobody says the kid shouldn't excel, or that he shouldn't pitch"

Oh? Really? Where did you come up with that fantasy interpretation?

The legue is telling this kid EXACTLY that.

From the article:

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower..."

"League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13."

In other words:

Kid, you're too good, so you can't pitch in our league anymore.

Sure, they suggested that he go to another league. But I wonder... do they have the authority or ability to get the other league to accept this kid? I'd say no, they don't have that ability.

No, this whole thing stinks.