Author Topic: 67 Year Old Going to Prison for Cold War Weapons Cache  (Read 11306 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: 67 Year Old Going to Prison for Cold War Weapons Cache
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 11:06:15 PM »
Is there any truth to the shoelace myth, by the way?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
I'm aware of that. However, I doubt that anyone could beat the soviets in a conventional war without SAMs to shoot down the jets and fast attack aircraft. Holding a line against a highly mechanized and mobile force backed up by 1960's technology with small arms and a few aircraft is probably impossible. To attempt such a thing would be suicide.

Someone feel free to correct me, but isn't this pretty much the same as the VC vs. the US in Vietnam at the end of the 60's?

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2009, 11:16:29 PM »

Shoelace myth?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zahc

• friend
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
There was a picture floating around the internets for a long time that showed a letter from the ATF saying that a shoelace fits the legal definition of a machinegun.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2009, 11:36:34 PM »
There is a rumour, the origins of which I am not capable of pinpointing, claiming that the ATF ruled that, in certain circumstances, a set of shoelaces would legally qualify as a machine gun. I have never seen the ruling itself.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2009, 11:45:37 PM »

Yes, the shoelace trick works.

That's all the further I'm going to go into that one, though.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2009, 11:47:11 PM »
Yes, the shoelace trick works.

That's all the further I'm going to go into that one, though.

Oh, I never asked if it works.

I wonder if there really is a legal ruling to the tune that "shoelaces are machineguns".

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2009, 11:55:08 PM »
How can a shoelace be machine gun? A shoelace has nothing to do with guns at all. A shoelace is used on shoes, for tying them so they stay on your feet.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
How can a shoelace be machine gun? A shoelace has nothing to do with guns at all. A shoelace is used on shoes, for tying them so they stay on your feet.

See, citizen, you're using regular logic. You should be using BATFE logic.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2009, 12:10:43 AM »

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2009, 12:12:03 AM »

This link should clarify for you:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=163966

As this has been ruled opinion'ed as construction of an illegal machine gun, we're not going to discuss particular implementation here on APS.

I wonder if there really is a legal ruling to the tune that "shoelaces are machineguns".

Ruling?  As in court ruling?

Well, no.  I don't think so, anyway.

But, if you write the BATF with a question, they will provide legal advice about the question based on how they interpreted it.  One of these questions involved the shoelace device, and the response was that it was a machine gun.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 12:27:30 AM by Nick1911 »

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2009, 12:18:20 AM »
Thanks for the linky. ... Sounds like all it is is bump firing, but with STRING POWER! Stop living in the stone age using just your finger and the laws of physics and get into the 21st century with the item that is all the rage and get strings.  =D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:23 AM »
This link should clarify for you:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=163966

The image 404s.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2009, 11:00:27 AM »
The image 404s.

Dude, use the awesome power of google.

Link

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »
I'm amazed at how far some people will go to get the full auto effect.  It ain't all its cracked up to be.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2009, 11:55:54 AM »
I'm amazed at how far some people will go to get the full auto effect.  It ain't all its cracked up to be.

This.  Full-auto is a terrible thing to do to a good rifle.  Ersatz full-auto, even were it legalized, would still be a crime against the gun gods. 

Now a real machine gun on the other hand, has a beauty all its own.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 12:11:04 PM »
Dude, use the awesome power of google.

Link

Is that real?  :O

I think the reason most people do it is because we should be able to and shouldn't have to go through all the different loops just to get one.