Author Topic: Missing Cargo Ship Found  (Read 11281 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Missing Cargo Ship Found
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »
Apparently this has been in the news for a while, but slow-witted me just learned about it. Literally "off the radar" for over two weeks. I'm baffled as to what could have been going on, especially since this happened off the coast of Europe, versus say, Somalia. You would think if they were raided that someone would have gotten a signal out, even if only activating a personal EPIRB or something. I tend to think maybe something was going on that some, if not all the crew were in on. Either that or zombies.

------------------------
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090815/ap_on_re_eu/missing_ship_17

Missing cargo ship found near Cape Verde
By LYNN BERRY, Associated Press Writer Lynn Berry, Associated Press Writer 1 hr 45 mins ago

MOSCOW – A Russian-manned cargo ship that vanished last month in the Atlantic was found Friday near Cape Verde off the coast of West Africa, according to French and Russian officials. There was no immediate information about the condition of the crew or whether there was anyone else on board.

The Arctic Sea — carrying a load of timber and 15 Russian sailors — disappeared after passing through the English Channel on July 28. The Maltese-flagged freighter sent radio messages as it sailed along the coasts of France and Portugal, but then all contact was lost.

"Cape Verde coast guards said they have located the boat" about 520 miles (840 kilometers) off Cape Verde, said French Defense Ministry spokesman Capt. Jerome Baroe. France was involved in search efforts together with several other countries.

Two military officials in Brussels separately confirmed the ship had been tracked and located off West Africa. The officials asked not to be named while the operation was ongoing.

Russian naval ships were ordered to pursue the ship after the Cape Verde coast guard reported the freighter was outside the country's territorial waters to the north, Russian Ambassador to Cape Verde Alexander Karpushin told The Associated Press.

The ambassador did not say when the naval ships were expected to arrive in the area. The four ships involved in the search, including a frigate, had entered the Atlantic late Tuesday. Their whereabouts Friday were unknown.

It also was unclear whether the freighter had laid anchor or was continuing to sail south. It had enough food and fuel to last through the end of the month, the ship's Russian operator said.

The ship's crew had reported a June 24 attack in Swedish waters by up to a dozen masked men, who they said tied them up, questioned them about drug trafficking, beat them and searched the freighter before leaving 12 hours later in a high-speed inflatable boat.

The alleged attack, unusual in itself, raised further concerns because it was not reported until the freighter had passed through Britain's busy shipping lanes and was heading out into the wide Atlantic. There have been fears that some of the attackers might still be aboard.

The Arctic Sea, which left from Finland on June 23, had been due to make port Aug. 4 in Algeria with its euro1.3 million ($1.8 million) haul of timber.

The European Commission suggested the ship may have come under attack a second time. "Radio calls were apparently received from the ship, which had supposedly been under attack twice, the first time off the Swedish coast and then off the Portuguese coast," said commission spokesman Martin Selmayr. He said he could add no further comment so as not to hinder the ongoing law enforcement activities.

The Portuguese Foreign Ministry said, however, that the ship was never in Portuguese territorial waters.

The ship's operator, Solchart Arkhangelsk, said it had no information about a possible second attack. Company officials said all attempts to communicate with the crew have failed.

The ship's captain is 50-year-old Sergei Zaretsky, a veteran of such sea voyages, said Solchart deputy director Ivan Boiko. All of the sailors are from Arkhangelsk, a port city in the far northwest of Russia.

French maritime authorities said they received radio messages on July 29 as the ship sailed past the north coast of France. The Arctic Sea's report to British maritime authorities as it passed through the Dover Strait, one of the world's busiest shipping lanes, was the last known voice contact with the crew.

Speculation on what might have happened to the ship has ranged from suspicions that it was carrying secret cargo — possibly narcotics — to theories about a commercial dispute. Security experts have been wary of attributing its disappearance to bandits, noting that piracy is almost unheard of in European waters.

"It would seem that these acts, such as they have been reported, have nothing in common with 'traditional' acts of piracy or armed robbery at sea," Selmayr said.

David Osler, a maritime journalist at Lloyd's List in London, said there are three main types of piracy. There is the sort seen in Somalia, where a gang takes the ship and the captain, and demands a ransom in return for release.

In the Far East, criminals would steal the entire ship, repaint it and trade it — creating what are called "phantom ships," Osler said in an interview.

And in less developed areas, piracy has sometimes been more like armed robbery, he said, noting that ships often carry cash around for necessities while traveling. "It's like holding up the local liquor store," he said. "It's just for cash."

Osler said the 18-year-old Arctic Sea was not particularly valuable. "The ship isn't really worth stealing," he said, noting most such ships have a life of 20-25 years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Missing Cargo Ship Found
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 01:18:34 AM »
Definetly something fishy going on. Guaranteed to be smuggling something. I wonder what though. Speculations on Flashback are on the 55th page or so right now, with someone bringing up suitcase nukes as the latest possible theory about what they had on the ship that the pirates/hijackers were willing to spend 12 hours looking for...

My own theory is that they had technology of some kind headed for an unknown buyer. I'd be surprised if it's still on the ship.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:24:29 AM by The Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »
Definetly something fishy going on. Guaranteed to be smuggling something. I wonder what though. Speculations on Flashback are on the 55th page or so right now, with someone bringing up suitcase nukes as the latest possible theory about what they had on the ship that the pirates/hijackers were willing to spend 12 hours looking for...

My own theory is that they had technology of some kind headed for an unknown buyer. I'd be surprised if it's still on the ship.

One thing I've noticed is that if someone brings up suitcase nukes, it's safe to dismiss what the person is saying.  "Overhyped" doesn't touch on the subject.  The ones that were built (kinda similiar to arty nukes) had a circa .1-.5 kt yield, which makes them essentially in the same range as a large truck bomb.  They were moreso intended as demolition munitions, moreso than weapons, as they're not great weapons.

My guess is they were hijacked because folks either thought there was contraband onhand or intended to use the ship to move contraband.  Most folks don't mount commando raids for a shipment of timber.  If there was 'secret' nukes, tech, alien corpses, whatever on board, they'd have security forces onboard.  Drugs or other contraband?  No need for security forces.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:34:16 PM »
One thing I've noticed is that if someone brings up suitcase nukes, it's safe to dismiss what the person is saying.  "Overhyped" doesn't touch on the subject.  The ones that were built (kinda similiar to arty nukes) had a circa .1-.5 kt yield, which makes them essentially in the same range as a large truck bomb.  They were moreso intended as demolition munitions, moreso than weapons, as they're not great weapons.

My guess is they were hijacked because folks either thought there was contraband onhand or intended to use the ship to move contraband.  Most folks don't mount commando raids for a shipment of timber.  If there was 'secret' nukes, tech, alien corpses, whatever on board, they'd have security forces onboard.  Drugs or other contraband?  No need for security forces.
I don't think they had those either, but they probably had something on board, or something was brought on board when they got intercepted by the RIB. I would be surprised if whatever they had is still on the ship though. Seeing that they remained invisible for some time probably means they met up with yet another ship and then unloaded whatever they were smuggling onto them, possibly going with them. Afterwards, who can tell what they smuggled? I think that this will die down, and we might find out what happened years from now...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
Could they perhaps be used as part of a 'Dirty Bomb'? Surround it in lower grade nasty stuff and it could be useful to some groups.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 04:41:45 PM »
According to the news this morning (Saturday), the ship is still (or again) missing, and a ransom demand has been received.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:50:33 PM »
According to the news this morning (Saturday), the ship is still (or again) missing, and a ransom demand has been received.
Why would they wait two weeks with the demands for ransom?
Also, I'm reading up on this on a Swedish forum where the members have followed this since the first report of a hijacking, and there's a lot of confusion going around, that's for sure. One minute they claim to have it in view, the next the ship is nowhere to be found, the minute after this the Russians claim to have contact with the ship, the minute after they claim they haven't heard a sound from it, etc...

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »
And the ship (when it appears at all) appears to be simultaneously near the Cape Verde Islands, or else 3,000 km north of the Cape Verde Islands, or in the Bay of Biscay ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 05:08:41 PM »
And the ship (when it appears at all) appears to be simultaneously near the Cape Verde Islands, or else 3,000 km north of the Cape Verde Islands, or in the Bay of Biscay ...
Philadelphia Experiment?

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Philadelphia Experiment?

Yep. Used alongside a top secret teleportation device, no doubt.  =D

If teleportation is ever invented I want a device. Right now it's only a dream, as far as I know.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 05:32:50 PM »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
Could they perhaps be used as part of a 'Dirty Bomb'? Surround it in lower grade nasty stuff and it could be useful to some groups.

Yes...  But actually, no. 

A special atomic demo munition (SADM, usually a W54) is somewhat useful for being a radiological bomb (the correct term for 'dirty bomb').  But it'd be easier, cheaper, harder to trace and more efficient to surround a conventional bomb with cessium wafers or whatever.  Mininukes by definition don't have much radiological material to begin with.   Additionally, nuke material are relatively easy to trace in their point of origin.  Gewehr flew one of the US assets that could do so.  NEST has other kit to do the same stuff.

Buying or steal bits of medical radiological stuff is a bit more deniable and significantly easier to accomplish.  Folks have already accidentally mixed in radiologicals with other recycleables. 

The other aspect is that nukes have a shelf life.  It varies dependent on design, maintenance, etc.  The fissionable material is good for quite some time.  The 'physics package' and ancillary kit isn't.  Usually between a decade or two.  If you're using a Fermi-Teller-Ulam classic thermonuclear fusion weapon (which isn't the case with mininukes), then you have issues with lithium-6 deuteride and such.  SADM's are very simple fission weapons, but still, they'd been to be refurb'd every 5-15 years to keep them in good working order.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
How do you know so much?  :police:

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 05:48:52 PM »
Still, there's got to be something about that ship and it's cargo that the US, Russian, Finnish, French, Portugese, Swedish, Maltese etc authorities know that they obviously aren't leaking to the press. If what I've read is true, the Russians have sent parts of their Black Sea fleet to look for it. You usually don't send out nuclear submarines, cruisers and such just to find 15 men, an old ship and a load of timber. So what the hell is on that ship?

IIRC, the ship had made a stop in Kalinigrad before they got the cargo from Finland. What's in Kalinigrad that people might want smuggled to them? Anything that would attract the amount of interest we're seeing? I bet it's more than just a few AK-47's...

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »
So what the hell is on that ship?

Well, have you read Monster Hunter International? I thought of that book immediately upon hearing about this "missing" ship.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 05:59:18 PM »
Well, have you read Monster Hunter International? I thought of that book immediately upon hearing about this "missing" ship.

Dude, never thought about that one :O.
So the ship was probably carrying some sort of relic then? :O
Crap. Where did I put my silver necklace? I need to melt it down and coat the pommel of my cane with it...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
How do you know so much?  :police:

Nothing exciting, I did a paper on SADM's and mininukes for my "Sociology of Terrorism" class back in college that debunked a lot of the propaganda about them.  Ever since, my brain hurts when I hear folks treating "nuculur" weapons as some kind of magical super-destructive device.

Good point...  Screw the contract, nuke the ****ing thing!  Unless an AEGIS cruiser wants to see how quickly they can kill a gargoyle.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:05:43 PM by RevDisk »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 06:05:01 PM »
Nothing exciting, I did a paper on SADM's and mininukes for my "Sociology of Terrorism" class back in college that debunked a lot of the propaganda about them.  Ever since, my brain hurts when I hear folks treating "nuculur" weapons as some kind of magical super-destructive device.

To be fair, Rev.

A SADM has the yield of anywhere between 10 tons and 1 kiloton of TNT, according to Wiki. Let's say it's jsut 10 tons, to be very conservative here.

It's still a 10-ton bomb that weighs 80 kilograms and can fit in a car trunk. You can smuggle that places, and probably level/damage an appartment building or a dam with the correct application [remember that dam-buster bombs had a far smaller yield].

Imagine a bomb like this going off on the Aswan dam, in Egypt.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 06:06:42 PM »
Still, standing too close to one when it detonates would surely ruin your day :police:.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
A "dirty bomb" with a tiny fission core would be an absolute waste of a gun-type or implosion fission trigger. 

It's much easier and more efficient to wrap conventional HE with the radionuclide package and deliver it that way.

BTW, Wikipedia is far from the last word on nuclear weapons technology.  When my USAF CNWDI access was still active, that was the first place I went to get my reference material.   =D

Putting a fission device on a stolen cargo ship isn't the best terrorist bang for the jihad buck, either.  You're only going to mess up a harbor, vs. bigger, juicier targets.

We always joked about a baby food jar of anthrax spores carried and released into the NFL SuperBowl, but you get my drift... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 11:17:34 PM »
Ever since, my brain hurts when I hear folks treating "nuculur" weapons as some kind of magical super-destructive device.

verily  if they were many more folks woulda died in japan. in fact if folks had a clue then and left the area instead of hanging out in the intense fallout zone and eating and drinking contaminated food and water the casualties woulda been even lower. thats why i'm not too skeert living south of sodom on the potomac.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 11:43:37 PM »
I suppose no one could have truly known the exact effects on those two targets. The people there wouldn't have had a clue what they were hit with, if they survived.
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 11:23:32 AM »
And now it's been found again. Crew are now on board a military ship, so probably it won't disappear again. :)

The linked story says they'll announce what happened later today.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090817/ap_on_re_eu/missing_ship_2
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »
Anyone else think of the cargo ship scene from MHI when that thing went missing?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
Anyone else think of the cargo ship scene from MHI when that thing went missing?

WOW! I must be developing psychic powers cause it feels like this already happened, somehow...

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought