Author Topic: Odd customer phone call  (Read 11383 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Odd customer phone call
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:55:35 AM »
Nothing earth-shattering in this story, just another weird customer.

A foreign-sounding guy (Arab or Indian, I think) called about a scope, a 6-24x40mm scope. He had all sorts of questions that I soon realized were absolute newbie questions: what does "field of view" mean; what do the "6" and the "24" in "6-24" mean; what does the "40" mean; what is meant by 1/8 MOA adjustment, etc.

Despite me running late for getting to the post office, I spent probably half an hour explaining everything to the guy. I also spent a great deal of time trying to talk him out of buying this $500 scope and getting a less costly 3-9x, because he planned on using it for deer hunting. I tried to explain that even the 6x magnification might be too much if he's hunting deer at short range or in heavy foliage.

Didn't matter. He was interested in the 6-24. He then told me, in his very broken english, how all of his friends made fun of him last year because he didn't have a scope on his rifle. Then it made sense. He wanted a bigger, more powerful scope to show them up. I don't think he was even considering whether or not he'd shoot a deer. He just wanted the biggest scope.

After all that time, and my crash course on optics, he decided to do more shopping around. I suspect he's looking for some retailer who'll tell him that a high-power scope is perfect for deer hunting.

People are weird.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
Re: Odd customer phone call
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:21:42 AM »
Some people seek knowledge.

Others seek affirmation.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 01:25:12 AM »
My wife and I have gotten to the point when someone asks us questions about ebay/etsy/etc, we give the minimum answer.  In the past we would spend a ton of time answering their questions, finding links and looking for things to help them.  It would be unappreciated or ignored.  It seems that people just want to brag, show off or something.  I am happy to help someone who really needs and appreciates it, but I won't be abused.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:52:52 AM »
A foreign-sounding guy (Arab or Indian, I think) called about a scope, a 6-24x40mm scope. He had all sorts of questions that I soon realized were absolute newbie questions: what does "field of view" mean; what do the "6" and the "24" in "6-24" mean; what does the "40" mean; what is meant by 1/8 MOA adjustment, etc.

I tried to explain that even the 6x magnification might be too much if he's hunting deer at short range or in heavy foliage.

Didn't matter. He was interested in the 6-24.

Or maybe he's not really hunting deer.  =(

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 11:00:38 AM »
Rule #1 in Retail Sales = If the customer points and says "I want it", shut up and sell it to them.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

norinco982lover

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:12:28 AM »
My first thought was that he wasn't wanting to hunt deer.

But now I think you are right---he just wanted the biggest scope.

Now I don't mind having the biggest scope...I have a cheapo Barska 3-12x50mm on my "sniper" 10/22 (mainly just because I wanted a huge scope...and because it gets 1/2" groups at 60yards) but seriously...just tell him to go to Walmart and pick a scope up.

When he figures out that scope he can upgrade.

~Norinco

sanglant

• friend

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 11:22:36 AM »
Actually I should have tried to sell him a Swarovsky.  >:D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
 :O wouldn't have pegged you as a dealer.(for swarovski) [tinfoil]

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:14 AM »
Rule #1 in Retail Sales = If the customer points and says "I want it", shut up and sell it to them.

+1

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 11:50:55 AM »
He was probably just disappointed that the scope didn't come with the pictured rifle.   =D
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:08 PM »
If it's such a long-range scope, why is it spattered with blood?  ???
Available Finishes
<-- extreme varmint [popcorn] can't say it does anything for me, but the markup has to be good. =D

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:04:21 PM »
I want mine airbrushed with stars, glowing nebulas, and a barbarian princess wearing a fur bikini.

Either that, or a similar Aztec theme.
I promise not to duck.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:09:00 PM »
I'm wondering why folks are knocking Barska --I've seen it on the boards a couple of times.  norinco98 sounds almost apologetic about having one on his 10/22.

I do not have a Barska Rifle Scope, but after buying one pair of their compact 8 X ~23* mm binocs for about $10.00 on sale, I went and bought four more pair --car, house, office, and two stocking stuffers, so five altogether.  

The resolution on those binocs is outstanding --I can see things better with those than I can with some 10X 50-ish binocs I have.*

So they must know their optical theory... so what's the beef with their rifle scopes?

Is it just the low price?

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:21:38 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 12:38:26 PM »
People are afeared of others associating their thriftiness with being merely cheap.  =)

I put an NCStar 6-24x50 with an illuminated reticle on my chopped Swede Mauser, and I got the best groups of my life with it.

The rifle came with the chopped already done, but the trigger was rated at 3lbs and the thing did .8 MOA, so someone knew what the hell they were doing.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
I'm wondering why folks are knocking Barska --I've seen it on the boards a couple of times.  norinco98 sounds almost apologetic about having one on his 10/22.

Because it's a Chinese scope that uses it's name to pretend/create the impression it's a Eastern European/Russian one.  :laugh:

I have a 60x spotting scope from them, and it's optical quality is far from perfect, but it's a very good value for the $90 I got it for on sale at MidwayUSA.

It was either the Barska or no scope, so I can't complain.  I would not do hunting, competition, war, or police work with a Barska product, but otherwise what I've seen from them is no worse than Tasco or the lower two thirds of Bushnell's product line.
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 01:52:01 PM »
any body tried one of these?

[popcorn]
lol amazon's wishlist is be handy. =D

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 02:00:46 PM »
People are afeared of others associating their thriftiness with being merely cheap.  =)

I put an NCStar 6-24x50 with an illuminated reticle on my chopped Swede Mauser, and I got the best groups of my life with it.

The rifle came with the chopped already done, but the trigger was rated at 3lbs and the thing did .8 MOA, so someone knew what the hell they were doing.  =)
How long is the barrel on that rifle?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 02:02:32 PM »
any body tried one of these?

[popcorn]
lol amazon's wishlist is be handy. =D

It looks like it's rubber armored for it's entire length. And even if that's not a rubber overcoat, the full-length longitudinal ridges still give me pause. How are you supposed to mount it properly with rings?  ???

I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:07 PM »
yeah rubber coating, and that's kind of why i was asking. [popcorn] if i really expected it to be any good i would have it already. =D main thing i'm looking for is the 4A reticle, the only others i've found are over 500 bucks. :facepalm:

http://www.barska.com/ac11330.html

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 04:17:54 PM »
Available Finishes
<-- extreme varmint [popcorn] can't say it does anything for me, but the markup has to be good. =D

It's a Reaver scope.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 04:33:56 PM »
I think the guy was just trying to scope you out ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

taurusowner

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 04:36:46 PM »

Brad

I don't really agree.  If one values true capitalism, one trades their best value for the best value of others on free and honest terms.  Letting a customer swindle himself wouldn't sit well with me.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 05:06:09 PM »
I don't really agree.  If one values true capitalism, one trades their best value for the best value of others on free and honest terms.  Letting a customer swindle himself wouldn't sit well with me.

Try that for a while and tell me how well it works for ya.  ;)

If people want your advice they'll ask for it.  Then, and only then, should you open your mouth and try to be helpful.  If they point and say, "I want..." shut the hell up and take their money.  That, or spend the rest of your life wondering why people shop somewhere else (hint, people shop where they get what they think they want, not what you think they want).

If you don't like it that way, don't get into sales.  Get into consulting instead.  Then you can get paid for unsolicited opinions.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 05:12:19 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB