Author Topic: Odd customer phone call  (Read 11378 times)

sanglant

• friend
Re: Odd customer phone call
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 05:11:49 PM »
Get into consulting instead.
or run for office. [popcorn]

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 05:15:50 PM »
or run for office. [popcorn]

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

taurusowner

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:08 PM »
Perhaps Monkeyleg is more interested in generating repeat business with a customer base who respects him and his honesty instead of just trying to make a quick buck off of a few ignorant saps.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »
Perhaps Monkeyleg is more interested in generating repeat business with a customer base who respects him and his honesty instead of just trying to make a quick buck off of a few ignorant saps.

There's that. I suspect the guy wasn't going to buy any scope though, at least not right away.

I should really find a way to cut the long-winded callers off short. I made the mistake of answering the phone one night at 11 pm. The guy was calling about scopes and had me on the phone for nearly an hour getting spec's for various Bushnell, Leupold and Burris scopes. When he finally had asked every last question he could think of, he said he'd call back. He never did.

Sometimes I think people call toll-free numbers because they're lonely.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
Sometimes I think people call toll-free numbers because they're lonely.

Yep. And they shop small business because they will get personal attention, then they buy from the cheapest place they can find.  If you have a hard time with spending too long on unproductive phone calls with prospects, maybe read some books on sales techniques.  I was a lot more successful selling computers than most of the people I worked with, in large part because I didn't (and don't) care about computers much at all, or about people who were deeply interested in computers.  I was interested in selling, not in sharing my interests. While the other guys were chatting about the latest and greatest or touting the newest and coolest, I was selling. 

I suspect that a lot of people who deal in products that they really enjoy and care about tend to undermine themselves by focusing on the product and sometimes by over-focusing on the customer and not so much focusing on the sale.  If you're not working towards closing a deal, odds are you're wasting time.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »

Keep thinking that.  If they're trolling the net for prices and info, "respect and honesty" is not on their priority list.  I've spent most of my adult life selling stuff for a living - professional, retail, and wholesale.  I will tell you flat out that most shoppers, especially internet shoppers, really don't give a crap about loyalty and they damn sure don't want your opinion.  All they want is free info and cheap stuff.  Not to mention that some people are just downright dumb.

Again, if someone wants your input they'll ask for it.  THAT is the customer base you cultivate.  Other than that shut the hell up, take there money, and thank them for dropping by.  You do not, I repeat, DO NOT, build a customer base by injecting unsolicited advice to persons who ask for a specific item while standing there with cash in hand.  Pushing advice and opinions on those folks just makes them shop somewhere else, not to mention it's a pretty good way to get a reputation for being pushy, irritating, and difficult to deal with.  Gun shop owners, take note...

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

taurusowner

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:39 PM »
Brad, have you considered that perhaps other people value different things than you?

Seriously, I'm actually asking.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »
Brad, have you considered that perhaps other people value different things than you?

I will ask the same of you.

I have twenty years of experience in dealing with the general public.  I have the ability to back away from the issue and examine it in purely objective terms.  Cold, hard facts.  And the cold, hard fact is there are more folks out there who don't care than who do.  Has nothing to do with what I consider or prefer, that's just the way it is.

Would I prefer that everyone appreciate my in-depth knowledge, that they would welcome it, would use it to make an informed decision, and would remember me for their next transaction and send me referrals forever?  Damn right!  Do they?  Nope.  My client satisfaction rate after more than 11 years in the business hovers right at 97%.  If my client loyalty rate were even half that I'd be a multi-millionaire by now.  And I'm in a profession that is specifically service-oriented.  Straight product sales?  Pfft.  Loyalty is pretty much zero. As in zilch, nada, nothing.  In general, product buyers are either brand-loyal or purely price driven (usually a combination of the former tempered by the latter).  Customer service means exactly zip to them if they can get it a nickel cheaper somewhere else.

Just to add, I've seen close to a half-million in volume walk through the door with other agents.  Former clients and clost friends that used someone else out of pure self-serving convenience.  That's the ones I know about, and that were in-office.  That's not counting the folks that went to another brokerage.  I figure I lose about $15k a year in gross income to people being ignorantly inconsiderate and selfishly lazy even after I've busted my rear to "cultivate their business".

I will state it again...

People.
Just.
Don't.
Care.

I will also state again, it has nothing to do with what I want or think.  That's just the way it is.  You are presuming that everyone is like you, they enjoy and reciprocate to people who provide the kind of service you (and I, for that matter) would like to have. Sorry, it's just not that way, and it's getting worse as the buying public turns more and more to the relative anonymity of the interwebz.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:21:24 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

taurusowner

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:44 PM »
Are you ok?  You're getting really upset about a difference of opinion.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2010, 08:14:14 PM »
Are you ok?  You're getting really upset about a difference of opinion.

Sounds like Brad has some strong opinions about dealing with the public after years of doing so. Ask me about dealing with ad agency art directors. I won't be as nice as Brad. ;)

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:40 PM »
Try that for a while and tell me how well it works for ya.  ;)

If people want your advice they'll ask for it.  Then, and only then, should you open your mouth and try to be helpful.  If they point and say, "I want..." shut the hell up and take their money.  That, or spend the rest of your life wondering why people shop somewhere else (hint, people shop where they get what they think they want, not what you think they want).

If you don't like it that way, don't get into sales.  Get into consulting instead.  Then you can get paid for unsolicited opinions.

Brad
Ragnar has a point, though.  There are plenty of times when building true value with your customer is more important than making a quick buck off of him.  The newb that didn't buy an overpowered scope from you this week might remember you next year, after he realizes that he has the wrong scope and wants help finding the right one.

Obviously it depends on circumstances and your business strategies and goals and a whole bunch of other stuff.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
How long is the barrel on that rifle?
Came out to 16.75", if measured using the method of inserting a dowel rod, making a mark where the bore ended, and measured from tip to mark.

I never could figure out why anyone would do that, but since it worked...  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »
Ragnar has a point, though.  There are plenty of times when building true value with your customer is more important than making a quick buck off of him.

Fully and wholeheartedly agree.  Unfortunately, that segment of the buying public is, at best, very small.  In the meantime you're left to deal with every Tom, Dick and Mary who want you to give them a bunch of free info so they can go get whatever it is from someone else.

I wish all my clients were as loyal to me as am I to the folks who help me with stuff.  My mental makeup simply won't let me do any different.  That's what makes me so disappointedly cynical towards the Great Unwashed Masses who don't give a rip, caring only that you did something for free so they can save a few pennies somewhere else.  They will take all the time and effort you're willing to give knowing full well they are unable or unwilling to reciprocate.  When you throw in the arms-length anonymity provided by the internet, it becomes worse by orders of magnitude.

What's saddest of all is that my cynicism isn't innate, it's learned, and learned the hard way.  Over, and over, and over.  I used to spend hours, sometimes days, putting together information for people.  I gave them all the info they asked for and more - data, stats, opinions, school systems, churches, contacts, etc.  Know what happened more often than not?  One or two emails later they dropped off the face of the earth.  All that time trying to cultivate a new client and earn their trust down the drain.  I finally had to give up trying because it was consuming a huge chunk of my time.  Now 'net-based information requests are all answered the same way.  They get an emailed full detail sheet on the property, my contact info, an invitation to call if they have any questions, and a follow-up message in a couple of days.  If I were to give it a stat, I'd say that maybe one out of twenty will actually respond.  Of those, maybe half will actually be serious inquisitions and not curious neighbors or people just passing time on the computer or driving around seeing houses. 

Honestly it can get downright disheartening.  I just try to keep the good clients in mind, those that do care, and that do send me business because they feel that I did a good job and deserve their referral.  That makes it worth the stress and disappointment... most of the time.

Brad
-HankB

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
I haven't been dealing with it as long as Brad has, so I'm less discourage by it.  =)

If you don't let people know that your time and effort is worth something, they won't give your something for it.  You have to keep gauging commitment, and demanding incremental commitment, not to relentless angle for the deal, but to let the customer/client know that it's a two-way street, and you don't work for free. 

If you act like a free source of information, people will treat you like a free source of information. 

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 11:38:13 PM »
If you act like a free source of information, people will treat you like a free source of information.

One thing about me I like least is that I don't know how to say no.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 11:47:50 PM »
Try The Power of a Positive No by William Ury.  It's not geared towards retail sales, more towards longer-term relationships, but it's pretty good. 

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010, 01:08:05 AM »
You can say No without actually saying No.  I give you the six most powerful words in the service provider's arsenal...

"I'm sorry, I have a commitment."

The commitment might be to your couch, the ball game, and that 12 pack in the fridge, but it's still a commitment.  ;)

Brad
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:11:23 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2010, 08:28:18 AM »
What was a real joy was being the install tech / trainer for macintosh publishing hardware.

But, Mike said you would....

They were sold 24 bit rainbow pooping unicorns
and I showed up with a greyscale hound & a 20 inch monitor lizard
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:31 AM »
What was a real joy was being the install tech / trainer for macintosh publishing hardware.

But, Mike said you would....

They were sold 24 bit rainbow pooping unicorns
and I showed up with a greyscale hound & a 20 inch monitor lizard

Yes, Harold. But if you'd had to be Mike... ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 11:05:36 AM »
Well, it goes both ways...

We listed our house with the same folks that sold it to us, because they had helped us so much with the buying process.

After 18 months our house still hadn't sold, so we dropped the listing and got somebody else.  He had a contract on it within 30 days.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:44 AM »
One thing about me I like least is that I don't know how to say no.

May I have your car keys?  And a blank check?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
A buddy of mine is the Best Customer in the World.  If you treat him well and sell him on something, he will stay sold.  For instance, I brought him to a Redwing shoe dealer near me and he bought his first pair of Redwings on my advice.  Ten years and seven or eight pairs & four or five resoles later, he still buys his Redwings from that same store and the same man who sold him his first pair.  Oh, I live in Dallas and he lives in Little Rock, Arkansas.  He saves up money for when he visits, as he expects to buy another pair of boots.

I also introduced him to the gal who cuts his hair.  He still goes to her, ~15 years later (in Little Rock).

Dude is not an idiot or automaton, he just rewards good service & products.  He also doesn't waste much of his considerable brain power trying to solve problems for which he figures he already has a solution.

May I have your car keys?  And a blank check?

<gigglesnort>

ML:

What is your web addy, again?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton