Author Topic: The mother of all yellow jacket hives...  (Read 11324 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: The mother of all yellow jacket hives...
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 01:34:31 PM »
Phosgene gas is also very effective at killing hornets. It's also heavier than air.

Unfortunately, it's also very effective at killing humans and companion animals.
I saw a can of that at the hardware store.  I'll have to try it out.   =D

A neighboring plant used phosgene as an intermediate chemical.  That can be some nasty stuff. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
Another method is get a bug zapper, put it as close to the nest as possible, and turn it on. The buzzing noise will infuriate them and they'll just keep swooping in for the kill, and be killed.

But, that's not 100%, and unlike the dry ice, it doesn't sterilize the nest.

Yeah, but it's probably more fun to sit and watch. Deck chair optional.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Yeah, but it's probably more fun to sit and watch. Deck chair optional.
Seconded!  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
http://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-40122.html

Bug zapper and hand-to-hand combat combined.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 03:39:53 PM »
detcord
we need more detcord
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 03:42:13 PM »
the HF zapper needs moar power to deal with the exoskeleton on larger insects
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 04:27:34 PM »
A neighboring plant used phosgene as an intermediate chemical.  That can be some nasty stuff. 
I've used the stuff before-at work. Some of the worst stuff I ever worked with I still have access to- Hydrofluoric acid. That stuff would most certainly kill all the hornets, and liquify my bones.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »
the HF zapper needs moar power to deal with the exoskeleton on larger insects

For complete disintegration? Yes.

However, even a glancing blow maimed even the largest wasps and hornets. They may have been twitching still, but they never got up and flew again.
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 06:09:21 PM »
Get some 10% Sevin dust and toss a generous pinch of it *dry* down the hole at night. (the normal 5% Sevin probably works too.)  Methoxychlor WP is even better.

It will take a few days to get all of them, but they will get it on their feet and track it onto the paper nest and kill the whole hive.  It does NOT knock them out of the air like pyrethrin, so don't say I didn't warn you.  Most of them should be dead or dying by the next day.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »
Yeah, if you go the brake cleaner route, (really more of a field expedient anyway...) don't try to combine that attack with fire. Tri-chlorinated solvents have a habit of decomposing into Phosgene when exposed to heat and flame.

::makes notes::

So, a pile of brake cleaner liberally coated in napalm..?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 09:57:12 PM »
Go see your local electric company. My dad used to work for Swepco in E Texas. The carried a spray, and it had a 40 Ft range. Get some if that if the other suggestions fail.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »
shop vac  sucks em right up  a few squirts into the hose after containment and its bye bye
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
Looks like the hive is mostly dead. There are dead hornets scattered around the opening and I've seen only 2 hornets that were moving today, but they looked like they were hurting.

I might pick up some sevin tomorrow, dump some down the hole, wait a few days, fill the hole and caulk it up. I'd caulk it up now, but I've seen them chew through tougher materials.

Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
::makes notes::

So, a pile of brake cleaner liberally coated in napalm..?

The word 'overkill' doesn't exist in your vocabulary =D

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
The word 'overkill' doesn't exist in your vocabulary =D

When dealing with hornets, particuarly yellowjackets, there is no such thing as overkill.

I usually don't take pleasure in exterminating life. However, I make an exception for hornets and other stinging nasties. They are fun to slaughter.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2010, 09:09:07 AM »
Do you think longer lasting bug killer like that Ortho Home Guard would work?  I figured you could spray it around the crack and then anywhere you can see underneath.  

The only time I have used it against flying insects was against what I called bore bees.  They were bumblebee looking things that made nests in wood.  I've seen them twice, last time at our gun range.  They had bored holes into a couple sections of 2X6 boards.  If you hung around, you could see them go in and out.  They weren't all that agressive, just liked to buzz around and bother you while you were shooting.  The only way I eventually got them was to bring in that Home Guard stuff and spray down the board and in the hole.  I didn't see them after that.  They either died or moved.  Normal wasp spray didn't seem to affect them.
http://doyourownpestcontrol.com/carpenter_bees.htm
I notice this site recommends dusting.

I notice that dirt dobbers seem fairly resistant to a lot of wasp sprays also.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:13:03 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2010, 09:19:18 AM »
Late but most wholesale electrical, heating and cooling supply houses will have good stuff on the shelf. My favorite is made by calgon and comes in an orange can. Stops em dead. FYI if you hit them or your not sure and they keep flying but like they're drunk, you got em, the drunk ones won't bother you. The worry is the ones that are out while you're treating. They are rarely happy when they return and discover the carnage.  :lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!