Author Topic: Snake in the refrigerator  (Read 11356 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Snake in the refrigerator
« on: August 23, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Well, part way that is...

We have this old frig that we keep over at the corral as a cabinet to store some grain, halters, grooming tools, etc.  We had some problems with mice getting into it.

Now, a gopher snake has crawled part way into a hole behind the freezer, apparently looking for mice, and become stuck.  =(

We tried to get it out this morning without success.  Its head is somewhere in the lining/air duct of the frig, and its scales keep it from backing out.

So I guess either:

1) it will die there  [barf]

2) "Winnie" will lose enough weight so he/she can back out or we can pull it out

3) we will have to dismantle the frig to free it  ;/

I hate for creatures to die a slow death  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Snake in the refrigerator
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 05:52:09 PM »
option #3
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »
Detcord.

(Someone had to say it.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 10:01:28 PM »
pour on olive oil
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:28 PM »
Detcord.

(Someone had to say it.)

Along that vein.....nuke it from orbit...it's the only way to be sure....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 10:08:57 PM »
No ideas on the snake, but around here, utility co's will pay $30-35 for an old fridge.  That could cover the cost of a storage solution lest prone to pest-trapping.

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 10:13:26 PM »
Leave it for another day.  Snakes are some of the most flexible and adaptable creatures on the planet, with good reason. I would be very surprised if he did not find a way to contort himself out of there overnight.  Also, most snakes can live a long time without eating, but he will get thinner the longer he goes without eating.   This may help him get out as well.

Back when I used to keep snakes, I had a ball python get out of his cage while I was transporting him in my van and he tangled himself up inside one of the seats.  I ended up just grabbing my iPod and sat in the van for about 4 hours til he let himself loose.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 10:17:31 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
You sure he didn't just eat something and then not be able to get out again?  He might get away once his food is digested.

My Dad used to have some guniea birds in a chicken coop.  The snakes would get into through the chicken wire to eat chicks or eggs, but not be able to get back out because they were too fat. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:09 AM »
You sure he didn't just eat something and then not be able to get out again?  He might get away once his food is digested.

My Dad used to have some guniea birds in a chicken coop.  The snakes would get into through the chicken wire to eat chicks or eggs, but not be able to get back out because they were too fat. 

That would be hilarious to see if it didn't mean you lost some chickens.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »
We pulled out the back liner of the freezer last nite.  Snake had several dead mice in there on top of the cooling unit coils.  He/she had gotten in through one of the factory holes for an icemaker.  It's about a third of the way through.

We tried to help it slither on through, but no luck.  Finally, we just tied the freezer door open and left it overnight to see if it could wriggle free by itself.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
And here I was thinking this was about an upcoming Samuel L. Jackson sequel...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:26:08 PM »
It was still stuck this morning.

We're gonna go ride in a little while and check and see how it's doing.

I don't want to cut a live snake in half just to get it out of there  :O

Might have to euthanize it somehow...  =|

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
How difficult would it be to loosen up the fridge parts that are holding him in place?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:32:51 PM »
How difficult would it be to loosen up the fridge parts that are holding him in place?

No parts left to loosen.

It's partway through a hole in the back left by the factory for running a water line to an icemaker.

A Sawzall would be the only way, and GrandpaShooter thinks the vibration would kill the snake.  Even if not, it would still have a "doughnut" around its middle.  =(

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 05:25:55 PM »
Seriously, what's the rush in getting the snake out?

Or do you need to construct some sort of ledge to support it as it slims down before exiting?

And given that it's not endangering anybody (yet), and you really need to remove it, why not invest in some lubrication and push it forwards?  Besides, I've always wondered if gopher snakes, being related somehow to pythons, have the same response to untoward manipulation.  http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/02/squeaks-part-deux.html "Now, the Discovery Channel will tell you that, when disturbed, some species of snake ...."

If you decide to go for it, you must tell the story at least as well as LawDog did.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
That's a service call I've never had before.

I've heard about the dryer that rattles when you walk by it. And the black snake that got caught in a washer belt.

I think if I walked in, pulled the cover off and had a snake looking at me, I would close the freezer door, pick up my tools and tell the customer to have a nice day.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »

THERE'S MOTHER******* SNAKES IN THE MOTHER******* REFRIDGERATOR!

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
We got "Winnie" out safely by cutting into the outside and inside shells of the frig with tin snips - or I should say that GrandpaShooter did while LadyPine and I held the ends of the snake out of the way.

Relieved just a little of the bind by cutting out the material between the two holes, and Winnie was able to slither on through.  We let him/her crawl under the haystack (which is on pallets) where there should be lots of mice.  Mabye he/she will spend the winter there. 

I think the snake was understanding that we were trying to help it by the end.  =)

why not invest in some lubrication and push it forwards?

We had already tried that and it wasn't working.  The grain of the scales kept it from backing out, and the thickest part wasn't even into the holes yet.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »
We got "Winnie" out safely by cutting into the outside and inside shells of the frig with tin snips - or I should say that GrandpaShooter did while LadyPine and I held the ends of the snake out of the way.

Relieved just a little of the bind by cutting out the material between the two holes, and Winnie was able to slither on through.  We let him/her crawl under the haystack (which is on pallets) where there should be lots of mice.  Mabye he/she will spend the winter there. 

I think the snake was understanding that we were trying to help it by the end.  =)

Awesome, I hope the snake hammers your rodent residents.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 06:20:43 PM »
Awesome, I hope the snake hammers your rodent residents.

Well, there's an old Scottish saying: "may the wee mouse never leave you cupboard with a tear in its eye."

But snakes gotta eat too.  ;)

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 09:34:17 AM »
THERE'S MOTHER******* SNAKES IN THE MOTHER******* HAY STACK!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 10:39:59 AM »

The Samuel L Jackson School of Elocution is a big believer in the power of the asterisk.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 10:40:53 AM »
I have never seen that movie.  Is is supposed to be a comedy or was it serious? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 10:49:47 AM »
I'm still not sure.  Iv'e seen parts, but not all. 
JD

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:38 AM »

Samuel Jackson hangs out with Hutterites in Snakes in a Haystack

The Minister and the Secretary take Jackson to the wood shed for some serious beating due to his foul mouth and the Assitant Minister films it.

Uranus is a gas giant.