Author Topic: The Norks appear to have hit their tee shot into the water hazard  (Read 11274 times)

Hutch

• friend
It's being reported that the PDRK have had a spot of bother with their go at a missile, excuse me, SATELLITE launch.  It rather seems to have come up a bit short.  There appears to be a scavenger hunt on for the remains by interested parties, to include the friendly Koreans.  How dreadfully embarrassing for their new thug-in-chief.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: The Norks appear to have hit their tee shot into the water hazard
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:44:23 PM »
It's being reported that the PDRK have had a spot of bother with their go at a missile, excuse me, SATELLITE launch.
The 50,000-strong launch crew all got hernias?  >:D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
[Don Adams voice]  Missed it by that much !!!   [Don Adams Voice]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 09:23:15 PM »
[Don Adams voice]  Missed it by that much !!!   [Don Adams Voice]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPwrodxghrw
I LOLed. Love that show...
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »
I can only hope that it was some airborne laser of ours that we don't know about that fried the thing.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 11:26:22 PM »
I can only hope that it was some airborne laser of ours that we don't know about that fried the thing.
It's pretty well known: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1

But given their track record, I'm going to go with vanilla incompetence... Again.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:49:07 AM »
Is it just me, or are they actually getting worse at rocket science?
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:46:10 AM »
It's pretty well known: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YAL-1

But given their track record, I'm going to go with vanilla incompetence... Again.

I know, the supposed word is that testbed is retired. I'm hoping it led to something better.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 07:06:23 AM »
i am curious as to what means they will use to save their pride.   another bombardment on sk?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 08:31:35 AM »

I would point out that in the early days of the US rocket program, we had a whole lot of vehicles that blew up on the pad, shortly after liftoff or never made it to orbit.  Even today, the technologically-advanced countries still have failures. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:12 AM »
Poor Norks. Try hard, fail hard.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
I don't mean to introduce too much politics, but Drudge has headlines about the US condemning this and calling it provacative.  Why?  It almost seems our govt is grandstanding a bit over seemingly nothing.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
I think the reason it's being called provocative is that practically the whole world told the Norks to knock  it the [censored] off.  And they lit the fuse anyway.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:14:47 AM »
I think the reason it's being called provocative is that practically the whole world told the Norks to knock  it the [censored] off.  And they lit the fuse anyway.
Okay, but even I know that they wouldn't listen to anyone.  Trying to order someone around when you know they won't listen is foolish.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »
I don't mean to introduce too much politics, but Drudge has headlines about the US condemning this and calling it provacative.  Why?  It almost seems our govt is grandstanding a bit over seemingly nothing.

The issue is that the rocket vehicle used to launch a satellite is the same rocket vehicle used to carry an ICBM. Most of the world believes this was nothing more than a test of an ICBM, disguised as a satellite launch. The North Koreans don't need any satellites -- they have no peaceful scientific programs that would benefit from such.

Further, the UN specifically prohibited NK from conducting any further tests of such equipment. So, even claiming it was for a satellite rather than for a missile, the NKs thumbed their collective noses at the UN by proceeding with the test.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 09:42:53 AM »
The issue is that the rocket vehicle used to launch a satellite is the same rocket vehicle used to carry an ICBM. Most of the world believes this was nothing more than a test of an ICBM, disguised as a satellite launch. The North Koreans don't need any satellites -- they have no peaceful scientific programs that would benefit from such.

Further, the UN specifically prohibited NK from conducting any further tests of such equipment. So, even claiming it was for a satellite rather than for a missile, the NKs thumbed their collective noses at the UN by proceeding with the test.

The first paragraph describes something "Bad".

The second paragraph describes something "Not Bad" bordering on "Good".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 12:07:40 PM »
I would point out that in the early days of the US rocket program, we had a whole lot of vehicles that blew up on the pad, shortly after liftoff or never made it to orbit.  Even today, the technologically-advanced countries still have failures. 

Don't forget the NK method. If the first group of engineers/scientists fail, shoot them and get another group. Let them learn from mistakes? Surely you jest!

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
Obama CANCELED it!!!!   :facepalm: :facepalm: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: >:D >:D >:D :mad: :mad: :mad:

In all fairness to the current Administration, it had been on the bubble for quite a few years now.  I just don't think the cost-benefit ratio was there.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2012, 01:08:31 PM »
Don't forget the NK method. If the first group of engineers/scientists fail, shoot them and get another group. Let them learn from mistakes? Surely you jest!

Thank goodness we had the benefit of former Nazis to jumpstart our rocket program. 

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »

Yepppers.

And besides the whole "Orbit =ICBM" thing, a bomb in orbit can have less warning than even IRBMs from a SSBN parked off your shoreline.

Google "FOBS". A tech deemed destabilizing to MAD with such first strike potential the Soviets abandoned it.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2012, 04:45:21 PM »
In all fairness to the current Administration, it had been on the bubble for quite a few years now.  I just don't think the cost-benefit ratio was there.

It wasn't.  The future looks...bright...though.
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/asd/2011/12/21/02.xml&headline=Lights%20Out%20For%20The%20Airborne%20Laser

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2012, 05:04:11 PM »

Well, what scientist from earlier generations they had are probably mostly dead via age (if they were lucky) or fireing squad (see Avengers post) and they havn't really been educating their last few generations (rememebr those russian guys photographs of the progressive school prototype with it's "computers") so the idea of them getting worse at science isn't really a suprise.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:20 PM »
How much of the noise from the administration is meant to make Obama look knowledgable and engaged from a foreign policy standpoint?  It is an election year.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
Yepppers.

And besides the whole "Orbit =ICBM" thing, a bomb in orbit can have less warning than even IRBMs from a SSBN parked off your shoreline.

Google "FOBS". A tech deemed destabilizing to MAD with such first strike potential the Soviets abandoned it.

If you mean by deploying SS-9 FOBS sufficiently that we put EW radars facing south...sure, abandoned.
Of course, that, or FOBS, wasn't a satellite with a bomb...F is FRACTIONAL, it was simply the "long way around"...of course, that doesn't mean you couldn't do multiple laps at that point, but neither ever intended on long term emplacement of orbiting weapons...FOBS was specifically NOT in orbit, so as to void outer-space treaty implications.