Author Topic: I ran over a biker today when he ran a red light  (Read 7692 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
I ran over a biker today when he ran a red light
« on: July 18, 2008, 10:24:01 AM »
He is fine, though pretty road rashed.  His bike is totaled.  Bent frame, front tire is potato chipped, the fork is broken, and a pedal is snapped off.  Scratched the paint on my truck and maybe dinged up a tire, getting that checked this afternoon.

situation:

Intersection with a traffic light on a 1 way street with dense trees on both sides limiting the view of traffic at an intersection (this is why they put a light here).  30 MPH speed limit.  The guy just blows through the red light right in front of me.  I see what is going to happen soon enough to slow down a lot and lean on the horn, figure I was going 30ish and got down to about 10.  Knocked him off the bike and he went tumbling, ran over the bike.

The guy was extremely pissed off and talking about suing me, until 3 separate witnesses talked to the cop and stated he ran a red light and I did well to slow down enough to not kill him.  He got a moving violation citation, I have his personal information so I can go after him for the repairs on my truck.  He looked like a college student so I doubt that will come to anything.

I'm really glad I decided to drive the truck today instead of the car.  It would have messed up the car a lot worse than the truck.

Edit:  Title so people don't think I killed a Mod

alex_trebek

• friend
Re: I ran over a biker today when he ran a red light
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:01:43 AM »
Sorry to hear, glad everyone is ok.

Could of been much worse.......

I see bikers do this all the time, it is quite annoying.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
Glad you didn't permanently skush the moron, would've ruined your weekend. 

I see that crap all of the time, for whatever reason these "SHARE THE ROAD!!" types seem to think traffic laws don't apply to them.  rolleyes

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:21 AM »
A fair number of bikers seem to have no clue there are vehicles on the road that weigh several tons, go a lot faster then them, and have a real hard time seeing them. Their response seems to be to make it harder to see them and ride erratically.

I was at a stoplight once and saw a bike slam into a car that was also stopped at the light. I am not real sure just what he was doing. bent up his bike a bit. Didn't seem to do any serious damage to the biker.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
There's been a rash of those around here the last few weeks.  I'm waiting for the state to require licenses, registration, and insurance for cyclists to ride on public roads.  Just like they do w/ cars....  Frankly, wouldn't actually bug me all that much, might make the cyclists engage their brains a little bit...

But then again, it really hasn't made the drivers engage their brains, so never mind.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:31:18 AM »
I saw a similar situation some years ago where the biker didn't survive. In that one the guy on the cycle blew the red light and right into the side of a sedan.

After you see someone launch into the air for real and come down head first all of the TV shows that do that sort of lose their interest...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
What pisses me off is here we don't have an adult helmet law so when some biker does something stupid and ends up with brain damage you have to pay more because they weren't wearing a helmet. I think their rights on all claims should be void if they're not wearing a helmet and or their bike isn't properly marked. I live in the (god awful) trendy leftist part of town and all the bohemians ride bikes they take the reflectors off and don't wear helmets and 1/2 of them are so high that they don't know they're even on the road and they just swerve around.

2 days ago some 20 something with no helmet or reflectors was stunting in the crosswalk talking to his buddy on the sidewalk AGAINST the light at a very busy intersection, I dropped into 1st and made a left turn and swerved towards him and cut behind him with about 6" to spare on his back tire I think he may have actually shat his pants.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
I used to work at a beverage distribution company that delivered to the U. of WA. One of our trucks was sideways across the road backing into a dock when a girl on a bike rammed the side of the truck. I have no idea how she missed a big ole delivery truck, totally blocking the entire road.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 11:39:45 AM »
I used to work at a beverage distribution company that delivered to the U. of WA. One of our trucks was sideways across the road backing into a dock when a girl on a bike rammed the side of the truck. I have no idea how she missed a big ole delivery truck, totally blocking the entire road.

But... but.... She didn't miss it....     angel grin

Mayhaps she expected it to move for her?

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 11:41:24 AM »

As I recall the driver had actually stopped it at that point; I think he was gonna hop out and let the lift gate down? Anyway, I do know the truck was at a dead stop when she nailed it.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:26 AM »

As I recall the driver had actually stopped it at that point; I think he was gonna hop out and let the lift gate down? Anyway, I do know the truck was at a dead stop when she nailed it.

Eh, I didn't communicate well what I meant.  Meaning she somehow expected the truck to move for her, despite all evidence pointing to the fact that the truck wasn't going anywhere.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 11:54:02 AM »

I see that crap all of the time, for whatever reason these "SHARE THE ROAD!!" types seem to think traffic laws don't apply to them.  rolleyes

Yeah....because the average joe six pack or Janie Soccermom obeys every traffic law there is.  Fact is I've had more near misses as a cyclist that are the fault of the driver.  One of the most dangerous places I've found is being on a shoulder, out of the lane of traffic.  Drivers don't hesitate to cut right in front of a cyclist....god forbid we get between them and starbucks...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »
Sorry to hear, glad everyone is ok.

Could of been much worse.......

I see bikers do this all the time, it is quite annoying.

And I see drivers do a number of things all the time, it is quite annoying.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 11:56:38 AM »
She specifically told the driver she just wasn't paying attention and didn't see him. Otherwise yeah, I'd agree with you.

Years ago when I first got married I was driving out of a parking lot, but the aisle was blocked by a gaggle-f*** of punk teens. I stopped like 10 feet away from them, and waited for maybe a minute or two for them to get out of the way. When they didn't I started very slowly inching forward, going literally a fraction of a mph. I couldn't believe the kid on the end would just stand there while I was coming at him, but he sure did. I ended up clipping him with a mirror. Did no harm (I was going really, really slow) but he seemed shocked. He moved out of my way tho.  grin Seemed pissed, but I really didn't care at that point. Stupid punk.

Yeah....because the average joe six pack or Janie Soccermom obeys every traffic law there is.  Fact is I've had more near misses as a cyclist that are the fault of the driver.  One of the most dangerous places I've found is being on a shoulder, out of the lane of traffic.  Drivers don't hesitate to cut right in front of a cyclist....god forbid we get between them and starbucks...

Break traffic laws? Yep. Drive 1/6 of the speed limit and blow through every single freaking red light? Nope, that's all bicyclists.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
Break traffic laws? Yep. Drive 1/6 of the speed limit and blow through every single freaking red light? Nope, that's all bicyclists

Nice generalization pal.

And I didn't know that travelling below the MAXIMUM speed limit was a crime.  Guess I'd better stop driving 22 in a 25.
JD

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
Why so defensive Jamis?  Did you get hit by a truck recently?  Cheesy
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
Driving significantly below the speed limit is not illegal in most cases, but it is often unwise on busy streets in major cities (assuming you can go faster).  In a 30 MPH zone, it shouldn't be an issue.

I grew up driving along a bunch of Farm Roads so slow vehicles were expected.  It wasn't just bicycles.  Tractors could be on the road also.  There were also older drivers who were limited to 45 MPH max.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

taurusowner

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »
Actually Jamis, in many places not going with the flow of traffic is considered Obstruction, and is ticketable.

A few days ago I was driving and I saw a police car with it's flashers on the shoulder, and a guy on a bike in front of it talking to the officer.  There was no apparent accident or anything.  Now I don't know what was going on, but I'd like to think the cyclist was getting a ticket fro some sort of asshatery.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2008, 12:11:50 PM »
You're right Jamis, that was a generalization. My point, that bikes break the law far more flagrantly and frequently than cars, is still very valid tho.

And you keep harping on about how it's the maximum speed limit. It is, in fact, a crime for a car to go too slowly. Impeding the flow of traffic, as they say.

[rant]Every time you bitch about the maximum speed limit I really want to take a couple days vacation, fly to your area, and drive my rental car at 5 miles an hour right in front of you on a one way road when you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Maybe put a bumper sticker on there about sharing the road and how it's the maximum. I know it's unrealistic, but it's a pleasant fantasy.[/rant]

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2008, 12:14:24 PM »
It may be a crime for a car to go too slowly, but its generally perfectly legal for a cyclist to use the road.  So, Wah.  Wah Wah Wah. 
All this crying about cyclists....seriously....take a deep breath.  Does it really matter that much that some guy in spandex is holding you up for a whole thirty seconds out of your life?  I mean, come on.
JD

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 12:24:12 PM »
I'm glad the cyclist was only banged up a little. Even though it wasn't your fault, you'd probably feel bad if he was seriously injured.

"What pisses me off is here we don't have an adult helmet law so when some biker does something stupid and ends up with brain damage you have to pay more because they weren't wearing a helmet. I think their rights on all claims should be void if they're not wearing a helmet and or their bike isn't properly marked. "

Whoa. There's some states that are trying to pass such laws for motorcyclists. Given that over three-quarters of all motorcycle accidents are caused by automobile drivers, that puts the riders in the position of giving up their freedom to choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

Would you like a law that says you have no right to sue someone who smashes his car into yours and injures you severely if you weren't wearing a seat belt?

taurusowner

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »
It may be a crime for a car to go too slowly

Wrong.  In my area, it says nothing about just cars.  If anyone or anything is in the road and holding up traffic, it's a ticketable offense.  That goes for slow cars, cyclists, skateboarders, jaywalkers, even cars that are stalled in the road.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
Whoa. There's some states that are trying to pass such laws for motorcyclists. Given that over three-quarters of all motorcycle accidents are caused by automobile drivers, that puts the riders in the position of giving up their freedom to choose whether or not to wear a helmet.

Would you like a law that says you have no right to sue someone who smashes his car into yours and injures you severely if you weren't wearing a seat belt?

I'd be very happy to see a law mandating no public funds be expended on bikers not wearing helmets, car drivers not wearing seat belts etc. I fully support people being able to do stupid and dangerous things. I am not ok with having to pay for the results. But if the other person caused the accident they should absolutely be able to sue that driver.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:13 PM »

Eh, I didn't communicate well what I meant.  Meaning she somehow expected the truck to move for her, despite all evidence pointing to the fact that the truck wasn't going anywhere.

That's kind of like the story they told us in Driver's Ed about the little old lady who expected a train to swerve around her when she was stopped part way onto the tracks and had the front of her car ripped off.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »

I'd be very happy to see a law mandating no public funds be expended on bikers not wearing helmets, car drivers not wearing seat belts etc. I fully support people being able to do stupid and dangerous things. I am not ok with having to pay for the results. But if the other person caused the accident they should absolutely be able to sue that driver.

I'd go one step further....that insurance companies can mandate certain "accepted" safety features up front....if you aren't wearing a helmet, for example, you should be immediately dropped without payment.  I hate that my insurance is so high not because of my driving (or cycling)....but because of the actions of idiots that can't take basic measures of lessening injury in a crash.

I did a boneheaded thing in my wifes Esuvee today...and got a $35 ticket as a result....parked in front of the drycleaners to grab something...in the firelane.....

I'm glad the cyclist was only banged up a little. Even though it wasn't your fault, you'd probably feel bad if he was seriously injured.
Hopefully he'll learn a lesson about defensive cycling, too. 
JD