Author Topic: I ran over a biker today when he ran a red light  (Read 7693 times)

thebaldguy

• friends
Re: I ran over a biker today when he ran a red light
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 02:15:52 PM »
I have problems with cyclists, even though I am one. They ride down the middle of the street, and wear headphones, so they can't even hear a car coming up behind them. Most at night don't have lights, so they're hard to see also.

Riding a bicycle with headphones is illegal here, as is riding at night without lights.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »

Yeah....because the average joe six pack or Janie Soccermom obeys every traffic law there is.  Fact is I've had more near misses as a cyclist that are the fault of the driver.  One of the most dangerous places I've found is being on a shoulder, out of the lane of traffic.  Drivers don't hesitate to cut right in front of a cyclist....god forbid we get between them and starbucks...

I agree with you dude.  I'm one of the most courteous friggin people I know for pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists, you name it.  I drive a Tractor trailer on a fairly regular basis, and If I'm coming up on a bike, I get over, all the way into the other lane if its open.

I also ride a motorcycle consistently and run on the (side of) the road, so I know all about cages doing their best to turn me into road pizza.

I'm just pissed that for all of the courtesy I show on the road, the average cyclist doesn't show ANY road etiquette or regard for laws.  If I drove my truck like some of these cyclists, I'd get a reckless op and go to jail. 

The real enthusiasts are always polite enough though, not to overgeneralize all of em'.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 03:17:10 PM »
Another thought, All of the bike idiocy I've ever seen has involved (I assume)  stupid college kids, as it pretty much all happens in the college towns I drive through.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 02:48:42 AM »

Yeah....because the average joe six pack or Janie Soccermom obeys every traffic law there is.  Fact is I've had more near misses as a cyclist that are the fault of the driver.  One of the most dangerous places I've found is being on a shoulder, out of the lane of traffic.  Drivers don't hesitate to cut right in front of a cyclist....god forbid we get between them and starbucks...

I agree with you dude.  I'm one of the most courteous friggin people I know for pedestrians, joggers, bicyclists, you name it.  I drive a Tractor trailer on a fairly regular basis, and If I'm coming up on a bike, I get over, all the way into the other lane if its open.

I also ride a motorcycle consistently and run on the (side of) the road, so I know all about cages doing their best to turn me into road pizza.

I'm just pissed that for all of the courtesy I show on the road, the average cyclist doesn't show ANY road etiquette or regard for laws.  If I drove my truck like some of these cyclists, I'd get a reckless op and go to jail. 

The real enthusiasts are always polite enough though, not to overgeneralize all of em'.

I've always had good luck with professional truck drivers, on average.  They usually pass carefully.  No silly honking, just careful courtesy.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 03:39:08 AM »
And you keep harping on about how it's the maximum speed limit. It is, in fact, a crime for a car to go too slowly. Impeding the flow of traffic, as they say.

Where? Texas, again? What's law in Texas is the law everywhere?

Here, it's only illegal to to go too slow (defined as under 40 MPH) on limited access highways. No laws about "impeding the flow of traffic" if you drive at or below the speed limit anywhere else. Too many people forget that the speed limit IS a maximum limit. Somehow, in practice people have come to regard it as a minimum limit.

x2 if they're yakking on a cell phone while driving ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2008, 03:55:47 AM »
You're right Jamis, that was a generalization. My point, that bikes break the law far more flagrantly and frequently than cars, is still very valid tho.

Proof?

I see plenty of bikers break laws, but also see plenty of drivers do the same.  Not that I am excusing either, but I am more concerned about the drivers, as they pose a bigger risk to my safety.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »
And you keep harping on about how it's the maximum speed limit. It is, in fact, a crime for a car to go too slowly. Impeding the flow of traffic, as they say.

Where? Texas, again? What's law in Texas is the law everywhere?

Here, it's only illegal to to go too slow (defined as under 40 MPH) on limited access highways. No laws about "impeding the flow of traffic" if you drive at or below the speed limit anywhere else. Too many people forget that the speed limit IS a maximum limit. Somehow, in practice people have come to regard it as a minimum limit.

x2 if they're yakking on a cell phone while driving ...
No, not Texas.  I believe in Texas it is mostly on limited access highways as well.  As I said earlier, I grew up near a small town.  All the roads were called Farm Roads for a reason.  You never know when you will come up behind a tractor or someone hauling hay.  Sometimes it is my relatives.  Smiley  I think cyclists are allowed a few feet of space. 

North of that town was a fairly large farm road heading up toward Brenham, TX.  It was a popular spot for cyclists at times though normally only in the mornings. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2008, 06:47:11 AM »
Up northeast of KC there is an Amish community.  They have signs on the major roads in area to watch out for horse drawn buggies.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:51 AM »
Okay..  that bastard ruined my tire.  Something on the bike put a deep cut on the sidewall.  I'm calling my insurance company and I'll let them go after the kid.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2008, 10:16:41 AM »
Okay..  that bastard ruined my tire.  Something on the bike put a deep cut on the sidewall.  I'm calling my insurance company and I'll let them go after the kid.

As it should be.  Did you also get a police report?  It will/would help with dealing with insurance, but also if he gets stupid and tries to sue.

Edit:
Duh
He got a moving violation citation, I have his personal information so I can go after him for the repairs on my truck. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2008, 10:21:42 AM »
Riding with headphones, unable to hear traffic, is a really god way to get smushed 'round here.

I get nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if the traffic is too thick for me to discern individual vehicles.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2008, 10:25:43 AM »
Riding with headphones, unable to hear traffic, is a really god way to get smushed 'round here.

I get nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs if the traffic is too thick for me to discern individual vehicles.

I'll confess that I ride with headphones.  But I also ride in a generally predictable manner.  I "hold my line".  In congested areas I pop that left earphone out, or both of 'em, to make sure I can hear.  Generally, as a cyclist, if someone is going to hit you from behind, you won't see it coming without aid of a mirror anyways.  I obey traffic laws (otherwise), stopping for appropriate traffic control....hell sometimes I stop when I don't need to.  There is a bike path that crosses a busy road nearby.  Whenever I'm on it, I often have to stop because the idiots turning right don't look to see if I'm trying to cross the road on the path (from thier right)...
JD

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »
fter you see someone launch into the air for real and come down head first all of the TV shows that do that sort of lose their interest...

Seen it.  I saw a guy commit suicide by jumping in front of a car going about 40 mph.  His legs immediately broke and he was launched about 20 feet into the air and came down head first.  Even more bizarre was that he retained consciousness, but it was clear he had broken a lot of bones.  There was nothing I could do but call 911.

The guy who hit him was freaking out, but I clearly saw that he had a green light and the guy he hit jumped in front of his car on purpose.  He even spread his arms like he was challenging the driver and screamed "Hit me".... and of course the driver was entirely unable to stop in time as the whole thing went down in a matter of a second.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
(Ahem) When I'm riding a bike, or when I'm driving a car, I refuse to sit and wait for no-one simply because there's a big red light illuminated rather than a green one. It's asinine.

Unless there's a cop or a camera, of course.
D. R. ZINN

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2008, 11:07:39 AM »

As it should be.  Did you also get a police report?  It will/would help with dealing with insurance, but also if he gets stupid and tries to sue.

Edit:
Duh
He got a moving violation citation, I have his personal information so I can go after him for the repairs on my truck. 

yep, I'm pretty covered.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2008, 03:06:15 PM »
(Ahem) When I'm riding a bike, or when I'm driving a car, I refuse to sit and wait for no-one simply because there's a big red light illuminated rather than a green one. It's asinine.

Unless there's a cop or a camera, of course.

It ain't illegal until you're caught, in other words?   rolleyes

Nope.  We don't condone illegal activity here on APS.  Take it elsewhere if you want to do that kind of crap online.

Wish I had a video camera in the car enroute to and from my hospital stay this last week.  One couldn't keep enough tape in it to video all the bicycles running red lights through downtown Madison.   undecided
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"