Author Topic: SEALs rescue American in Somalia  (Read 7700 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
SEALs rescue American in Somalia
« on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:10 AM »
On my mobile so can't link to story...help appreciated...but news is reporting a SEAL team rescued an American and a Dane being held by Somali pirates.  About damn time we did something like this.  God knows we have the capabilities, if we have the spine to use them.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Pharmacology

• friends
Re: SEALs rescue American in Somalia
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:28:47 AM »
Stories like this make me want to put on a Hulkamania! shirt and start yelling "AMERICA!"

Good on those seals, man; I would *not* have the guts to do that in a million years.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:33:32 PM »
Chris, it appears you are incorrect. Barack Obama actually carried out the operation. The SEALs were merely the automatons he used in this act of dauntless courage.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:58:45 PM »
Some Somali representatives of the pirates are complaining that nine pirates were summarily shot by the SEALS.  Boo fricking hoo, I say.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
I'm glad for the rescue. I'm especially happy that there are nine few pirates today.

If I knew any of the SEALS involved, I'd buy 'em a beer.  :cool:

As for the rescuees . . . they were with some unarmed, unprotected "aid" misson operating along the ill-defined border with "pirate country." That's not the mark of a high intellect, rather like those three hikers who were vacationing - vacationing! - in Iraq when nabbed by Iran.

Wonder if a cold dash of reality has cured them of their blissninny world view.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
How did the OWS goobers get Time's 'person of the year' instead of Seal Team 6?
One group represents whiny over-inflated self-esteems who want more given to them, the other represents sacrifice, courage, and American asskickingnesss.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »
Here's what bothers me....

Obama says this:

“The United States will not tolerate the abduction of our people,” he added.

Yet, the same article says 10 million in ransoms have been paid... and that the gunmen refused 1.5 million for these two

So let me get this straight... we're PAYING RANSOMS NOW?

No wonder abductions are getting so popular in Somalia.... it's FRIGGIN WORKING!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
I don't think our government pays ransoms; but I believe private companies routinely do.  Hell, I wouldn't be supprised if they are insured for that.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Here's what bothers me....

Obama says this:

“The United States will not tolerate the abduction of our people,” he added.

Yet, the same article says 10 million in ransoms have been paid... and that the gunmen refused 1.5 million for these two

So let me get this straight... we're PAYING RANSOMS NOW?

No wonder abductions are getting so popular in Somalia.... it's FRIGGIN WORKING!

Exactly, it's big bidness. Highjack ship, wait, profit. Same with people.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »
I don't think our government pays ransoms; but I believe private companies routinely do.  Hell, I wouldn't be supprised if they are insured for that.
Of all the times the Govt supposedly uses it's military forces on behalf of big business, this is one time when I very much agree with it.  My only regret on the story is that we only killed 9 pirates.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 04:18:59 PM »
In this case, it was actually on behalf of a NGO: an organization in Denmark that works to reduce or eliminate the use of land mines and to remove existing minefields.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 06:49:53 PM »
I don't know, Fistful. With his comment, "As commander in chief, I couldn't be prouder of the troops", it sounds like he learned to not grandstand quite as much as he did with the bin Laden assassination.

This is really cool stuff, though. It reminds me of the Israeli raid on Entebbe. Our special forces guys are incredible.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
I read a report stating that the SEALS parachuted in for stealth purposes and then called for helicopters for egress.  It must be unusual to parachute in anymore.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 08:30:36 PM »
Of all the times the Govt supposedly uses it's military forces on behalf of big business, this is one time when I very much agree with it.  My only regret on the story is that we only killed 9 pirates.  

Well, they only had so many available...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 09:22:30 PM »
How did the OWS goobers get Time's 'person of the year' instead of Seal Team 6?
One group represents whiny over-inflated self-esteems who want more given to them, the other represents sacrifice, courage, and American asskickingnesss.

You answered your own question.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 09:49:15 PM »
It's a win for the good guys. I'm proud and grateful for the courage and skill of our warriors. This isn't the first time men risked themselves and a /diplomatic tact hat on/ leader of lesser caliber claimed credit. It won't be the last.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Some Somali representatives of the pirates are complaining that nine pirates were summarily shot by the SEALS.  Boo fricking hoo, I say.

I Riposte with "Only 9?"
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:56 PM »
Our special forces guys are incredible.

True, that. 

What's more, is that they are examples of what a man of moderately above-average intellect, physicality, and drive can do when given the right training and tools.  These are not super-men, just men.  The key to producing such men in quantity is in the realm of the moral.  "Virtu," as Machiavelli would write.

They are both an inspiring example and an indictment.

I read a report stating that the SEALS parachuted in for stealth purposes and then called for helicopters for egress.  It must be unusual to parachute in anymore.

It is the bread-and-butter for several SOF units.  For example, an airfield seizure many times will begin with our men jumping directly on to the airfield from ~500' (see Grenada, Panama, etc.).  Dropping a company of Rangers (with more to follow) into even a well-secured airfield is like dropping a couple fox terriers into a pen full of rats.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:18 PM »
^^^ True.  I just thought that these days, helicopters were the de-facto choice for small unit insertion. 

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 11:17:36 PM »
Halo/haho jumps give small units like SEALS the ability to quietly insert that helos don't. Reading some of the recent books published by seals, the haho jumps give them the ability to insert miles and miles from the actual jump point.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
^^^ True.  I just thought that these days, helicopters were the de-facto choice for small unit insertion. 

Too slow & noisy for some operations.  Also, RW range blows.

Halo/haho jumps give small units like SEALS the ability to quietly insert that helos don't. Reading some of the recent books published by seals, the haho jumps give them the ability to insert miles and miles from the actual jump point.

^^^ Another option if you don't need much combat power.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »
I keep watching the wingsuit videos over at Preacherman's, you know the SF has to be looking at those. Jump at 40K and 20 lateral miles from the target or something.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:00 AM »
I keep watching the wingsuit videos over at Preacherman's, you know the SF has to be looking at those. Jump at 40K and 20 lateral miles from the target or something.

They already do that with High Altitude High Opening jumps.  And they don't have to pop a chute close to the target, thus not revealing they are inbound.  (A chute pop is quite loud at night in the desert)

Too slow & noisy for some operations.  Also, RW range blows.

^^^ Another option if you don't need much combat power.

I dunno.  Two sticks of seals is a chunk of combat power in my book.  Generally a good way to give a group of bad guys a very bad day.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 09:25:49 AM »
I dunno.  Two sticks of seals is a chunk of combat power in my book.  Generally a good way to give a group of bad guys a very bad day.

Understatement of the year in my opinion....  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy