Author Topic: SEALs rescue American in Somalia  (Read 7698 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
Re: SEALs rescue American in Somalia
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
Here's what bothers me....

Obama says this:

“The United States will not tolerate the abduction of our people,” he added.

Yet, the same article says 10 million in ransoms have been paid... and that the gunmen refused 1.5 million for these two

So let me get this straight... we're PAYING RANSOMS NOW?

No wonder abductions are getting so popular in Somalia.... it's FRIGGIN WORKING!

we should be paying ransom with smallpox infected bills.

kudo's to the seal team.  i can appreciate these people were doing humanitarian work over there, but it still sucks to have to risk someone elses life to rescue them. 

i found it interesting that the article referred to the president as "mr obama".
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:45:16 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
One of the biggest regrets of my Army career is not trying to go 18 series while i was a hard charging, non-kid/wife having soldier.

Now, with the wife and kid, and me pushing 30, I don't think i can.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
One of the biggest regrets of my Army career is not trying to go 18 series while i was a hard charging, non-kid/wife having soldier.

QFT
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »
They already do that with High Altitude High Opening jumps.  And they don't have to pop a chute close to the target, thus not revealing they are inbound.  (A chute pop is quite loud at night in the desert)

I dunno.  Two sticks of seals is a chunk of combat power in my book.  Generally a good way to give a group of bad guys a very bad day.

No disrespect meant toward the SEALs, but they have neither the numbers nor the equipment for some missions.  Same thing for Delta.  Which is why they work with other SOF units with more numbers and more firepower.

A job turns out better if you choose the right tool from the get-go.

It was where I was headed until Newton's Third Law did a number on me at Fryar DZ.

The divorce rate in USASOC is... exceptional.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 10:37:19 AM »
No disrespect meant toward the SEALs, but they have neither the numbers nor the equipment for some missions.  Same thing for Delta.  Which is why they work with other SOF units with more numbers and more firepower.

It was where I was headed until Newton's Third Law did a number on me at Fryar DZ.

Ayup, and I place my family before my aspirations of glory. I will always wonder, though, if i could have hacked it.

Maybe I'll just try to go to ranger school.... some of the "hooah" factor, without requiring me to become part of a special forces group in the guard.

Fryar is big! What happened to you there?
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

Just wait till you're pushing 60 ...  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »

I have a nephew in the Air Force - a snake eating Pararescue Jumper (PJ). They do scary stuff all the time. And, they don't get to pick the "when". Someone is down and injured, they go. Now.

Except... He's pushing 40, having joined up at 18. He just had back surgery a month ago to fuse several vertebrae. Nearly *all* his discs are shot, after jumping out of every flying thing in the AF inventory, carrying heavy loads and people, and generally abusing his body for 20 years.

It is very definitely a young man's job. And, shouldn't necessarily be a career. I suspect, though, that lots of things seem pretty boring after a few years in something like that.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
I have a nephew in the Air Force - a snake eating Pararescue Jumper (PJ). They do scary stuff all the time. And, they don't get to pick the "when". Someone is down and injured, they go. Now.

Except... He's pushing 40, having joined up at 18. He just had back surgery a month ago to fuse several vertebrae. Nearly *all* his discs are shot, after jumping out of every flying thing in the AF inventory, carrying heavy loads and people, and generally abusing his body for 20 years.

It is very definitely a young man's job. And, shouldn't necessarily be a career. I suspect, though, that lots of things seem pretty boring after a few years in something like that.

jb

I knew a PJ. he said they had a lot of folk from the Army and Marines who wanted to do cool stuff, but didn't want the BS that the Army and Marine corps entails. Like CSMs whining about PT belts, suck for the sake of suck, etc etc.

Coulda woulda shoulda. As "only" a Drill Sergeant and infantryman, I guess I'm satisfied with where my career has taken me.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

For small unit stuff, though, they are a force to be reckoned with.  Want an entire airfield?  Drop in a company of rangers.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »
I routinely come across former High Speed Low Drag types.  Every last one of 'em have skeletal problems.  Legs, knees, backs, necks, etc.  The human body is not meant to withstand the kind of abuse they endure.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 12:31:50 AM »
For small unit stuff, though, they are a force to be reckoned with.  Want an entire airfield?  Drop in a company of rangers.

Absolutely.  Like the mission in the OP & OBL. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Lots, maybe even the majority, of the SOF guys are over 30. Of course, they started their SOF path before 30.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:08 PM »
OK, you guys have convinced me. I'm going to enlist and try out for SOF.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
Lots, maybe even the majority, of the SOF guys are over 30. Of course, they started their SOF path before 30.

I doubt many of them started their journey after 11 years of service, at 30, with a new wife and kid.

Also, National Guard special forces groups require the same long initial training. So it would mean putting a 2+ year hold on my civilian career, which pays significantly better than E-6 pay.

After I finish OCS, i will start trying to go to ranger school. That might satisfy my urge somewhat. Easy to get a ranger school slot in the VA NG if you're a combat arms officer
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog