Author Topic: "Hollow point shotgun bullets"  (Read 7684 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
"Hollow point shotgun bullets"
« on: April 20, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
I think I've heard everything now  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: "Hollow point shotgun bullets"
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:13:47 PM »

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:50:48 PM »
Hollow point buckshot would be thing to invent!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 11:08:00 PM »

Well you don't live in a state where you have to hunt deer with a shotgun shooting slugs.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »
Well you don't live in a state where you have to hunt deer with a shotgun shooting slugs.

Is that what all the Iowa gangsters use for their "home defense" shotgun ???

Anyway, I just wish my eyes were still good enough to tell the difference between a bullet hole from a .38 and a 9mm  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:51:46 AM »
What in God's name are you blathering on about?

Chris

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 10:02:56 AM »
Slightly off topic, but did everyone catch Lawdog's post on "ringers"?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

birdman

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 10:15:58 AM »
Do a shotgun hollow point cause more damage then the average shotgun slug?

Yes.  Getting shot COM with a hollow point slug will kill you 99.99% of the time, instead of 99.9% of the time.

Brings up an interesting question, I once asked some LEO and medical (SF medics) friends why I had trouble finding survival stats on COM hits with slugs...they laughed...turns out the one-shot stop stats and lethality stats for center of mass hits with slugs (when in range say less than 50 yds for slugs) are pretty uniform at basically 100% for unarmored targets. 
That being said, it is still shot placement that matters.
Close range (10-15yds) with 00 buck is also pretty invariably lethal without armor--similar I would guess to 7-10 hits COM with a pistol...freak occurrences notwithstanding.

Also interesting when I started looking into it is how different the survivability stats were between rifles and pistols for COM hits without armor, brings new feelings about the "use the pistol to get to the rifle" thoughts.

So with that, shot placement is still king...mis-aimed buckshot is still mis-aimed, but if you are on target, nothing beats a shotgun at close range or a rifle at any range in terms of stopping power.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 11:50:45 AM »
Is that what all the Iowa gangsters use for their "home defense" shotgun ???

I'm not sure what they use but if you read the news its always some sort of assault weapon.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2012, 01:12:59 PM »
Yes.  Getting shot COM with a hollow point slug will kill you 99.99% of the time, instead of 99.9% of the time.

This; when your bullet starts out over a half inch diameter, expansion is nice, but not absolutely necessary.  Hence the reason cannonballs weren't made to expand.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
This; when your bullet starts out over a half inch diameter, expansion is nice, but not absolutely necessary.  Hence the reason cannonballs weren't made to expand.

What is the one-shot-stop stat for cannon-balls?  200% :)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
TV/movies   ;/

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 04:05:57 PM »
Hollowpoint cannonball.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
How about teflon coated buckshot  ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 05:08:10 PM »
So where is this news story that you are referencing?

Uranus is a gas giant.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
Apparently those "cut shells" have been used for decades, but I'm wondering about the excess pressure developed when the casing has to get squooshed down to the true bore diameter.

Any insights?  Does it just squoosh and that's that, no worries?

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
We have to use shotguns in this section of NYS when deer hunting.  Rifles are allowed in the more mountainous areas.  Your standard 12ga slug from a smoothbore like mine is one ounce (437.5 grains) at 1600fps.  There is no coming back from that with a COM hit.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
Apparently those "cut shells" have been used for decades, but I'm wondering about the excess pressure developed when the casing has to get squooshed down to the true bore diameter.

Terry, 230RN

I don't know, but if I ever play with the idea I will use the Ithaca 37, not the Superposed! =D
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 06:45:07 PM »
Hollowpoint cannonball.

Forget that....I want hollowpoint Howitzer rounds....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »

Terry, 230RN

That seems to be the case, but I don't feel it's safe.  I'm not running any recipe for my shotshells that isn't published in a book with a PSI value on it, and I doubt we're gonna get that with cut shells. 

I suppose we don't hear of any kBs with them because they're rarely done these days, but that might change.  YouTube videos covering the technique make the rounds every now and again.  Same thing with the "wax slug" thing where you drip wax onto the shot of an already made shell.  However, in that case there is a kB report on arfcom when somebody tried that with 50 shells.  Number 50 blew the gun apart.

Sorry, no link.  I can find it if you guys want it I'm sure.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »
Castle, 2nd Season

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
7-11 was a part time job.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
I don't know, but if I ever play with the idea I will use the Ithaca 37, not the Superposed! =D

This; I don't want to know what happens with the combination of an overbored barrel and an extra-full choke on my Mossberg.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
That seems to be the case, but I don't feel it's safe.  I'm not running any recipe for my shotshells that isn't published in a book with a PSI value on it, and I doubt we're gonna get that with cut shells.  

I suppose we don't hear of any kBs with them because they're rarely done these days, but that might change.  YouTube videos covering the technique make the rounds every now and again.  Same thing with the "wax slug" thing where you drip wax onto the shot of an already made shell.  However, in that case there is a kB report on arfcom when somebody tried that with 50 shells.  Number 50 blew the gun apart.
Sorry, no link.  I can find it if you guys want it I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZaK7D4XVo8

Also:  http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/3325/federalslug127general.jpg
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:17:43 PM by Pharmacology »