Author Topic: Navy rates wiped out.  (Read 7699 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Navy rates wiped out.
« on: September 30, 2016, 10:31:44 AM »
https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navy-scuttles-sailors-enlisted-rating-titles-in-huge-career-shake-up
So apparently this just happened yesterday. All 91 rating titles just wiped out. Just over 240 years of tradition destroyed. I imagine Boatswain's Mates and Gunner's Mates and will not take this too kindly.

Within the next three to four years, earlier if possible, the service plans to allow sailors to retrain in related skills
Yeah, it's called printing off a damn PQS and getting trained.

Apparently this is how it all started,
It began by a directive from Mabus to find gender-neutral rating titles that stripped them of the word "man," in an effort to be more inclusive to women sailors who make up an increasing size of the force.
[barf] :facepalm: :mad:

“Sailors take great pride in earning those coveted warfare designations and they like to place those behind their ratings because they want people to know they’ve earned them," said Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (IDW/SW) Steve Giordano said in the Sept. 19 interview. “That won’t go away — they will still have those as part of their titles.”
Yeah. That Surface Warfare designation that use to actual mean something back when it wasn't required and when you got it it also added to your advancement points. Now everyone is required to get it within a certain amount of time and it doesn't add any points, since it no longer means someone took a lot of their time and effort to get it.

When I heard about this, as soon as I went to lunch I hurried over to the NEX and bought another First Class patch, a Chief patch, a gold Chief patch, and another FC belt buckle just to make sure I've got them before they are gone. Unfortunately they don't sell cap pins or any sort of rating stickers. When I fly back to the states soon I'll have to make sure to stop at the next and pick those up.

There is a White House petition that was started real soon after the instructions went out. So if you feel like helping out, feel free to sign and pass along on FaceBook and stuff. :) https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/restore-traditional-navy-rating-specialty-titles-disestablished-9292016

"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Navy rates wiped out.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:20 AM »
I am of the mind that we ought to have no more women in the armed forces, anywhere.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:05:51 AM »
I am of the mind that we ought to have no more women in the armed forces, anywhere.

Just give them their own branch. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »

So... The Navy is going to have a sane enlisted rank structure that's possible to understand? Impossible! I do not believe it!

Next you'll tell me they'll align the officer rank names to match the other services! Where will this madness end?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »
Just give them their own branch. 

Rush Limbaugh's "First Amazon Battalion."  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »
They can have my Engineman's gear when they pry it from my cold, dead sleeve!  :old:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 11:58:53 AM by HeroHog »
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 11:40:35 AM »
So... The Navy is going to have a sane enlisted rank structure that's possible to understand? Impossible! I do not believe it!

Next you'll tell me they'll align the officer rank names to match the other services! Where will this madness end?

The enlisted rank structure is actually very easy to understand once you know it.

They already realigned the Rear Admiral rank so the other services would quit whining about the Rear Admiral (Lower Half). I guess the other services got all butt hurt because their one stars were actually wearing one star where their counterparts/equals in the Navy  (Rear Admiral, Lower half) wore 2 stars. What else do you want?  ;)

bob

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
My Official date to retire is tomorrow, letter says Aviation Structural Mechanic First Class, so goodbye new Navy. Shoulda been AMS anyway.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 12:01:39 PM »
Congratulation on your retirement, now go find some civilian tin to bend. ;)

Even though I was an Aviation Electricians Mate (AE) I identified more with my last NEC of 8251 (P3 Flight Engineer) because we did not have a rate for that, we used AE, AM, and AD as the source rates for that job (during my time).

bob

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 12:02:05 PM »
My Official date to retire is tomorrow, letter says Aviation Structural Mechanic First Class, so goodbye new Navy. Shoulda been AMS anyway.

Happy DD-214 Day!

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
They can have my Engineman's gear when they pry it from my cold, dead sleeve!  :old:

Not for you, of course, but for future generations: Should it be "Engineperson" or "Enginecreature" or "Enginecritter"?

Or just generic "Engine operator"? ("Engineer"? Whut? -- They gots trains on boats now?)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 12:53:36 PM »
Not for you, of course, but for future generations: Should it be "Engineperson" or "Enginecreature" or "Enginecritter"?

Or just generic "Engine operator"? ("Engineer"? Whut? -- They gots trains on boats now?)

We use "Snipe" or "Moleperson"*

*As in: "Who let the Molepeople up here?  GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE!!"

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 01:52:45 PM »

Congrats, how many year, months, days?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
Congrats, how many year, months, days?

22 by pay numbers. Few months more actually. Entered DEP on Sep 11 1993, boot camp July 94, left active  may 08, entered reserves June 08. So, already have a dd-214 and do work in rate, just not on airplanes. Now I see if I can live past 60 to wring some money out of this.
AKA Navy Joe   

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 07:30:19 PM »
Mabus needs keelhauled.

They pulled this same *expletive deleted*it on the Corps.  0351 assaultman person?  WTF?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2016, 07:33:51 PM »
If they were actually trying to destroy moral I can't imagine much that they could do different.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2016, 08:08:28 PM »
If they were actually trying to destroy moral I can't imagine much that they could do different.

What makes you think that's not what they are trying to do?
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
 [tinfoil] Benefit of doubt? [tinfoil]

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by negligence and stupidity?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2016, 11:51:05 PM »
From my years of experience in IT: Make something idiot proof and they will build a "better" idiot!
MOLON LABE!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2016, 11:52:11 PM »
Addendum: Build something any idiot can use and only idiots will use it.
MOLON LABE!

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 06:40:45 PM »
Ray Mabus, taking his orders from Ash Carter and barack hussein, continues to one up Isoroku Yamamoto, when it comes to sinking the American Navy.

markdido

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
China, Iran and now Iran are all saber rattling, the LCS ship class is crap and we couldn't fight a naval war in two theaters if we tried.

And this is what Mabus is freaking worried about?
Liberals believe that a woman, found raped and strangled with her own pantyhose is morally superior to a women with a dead rapist at her feet and a gun in her hands.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2016, 09:30:02 PM »
China, Iran and now Iran are all saber rattling, the LCS ship class is crap and we couldn't fight a naval war in two theaters if we tried.

And this is what Mabus is freaking worried about?

Don't forget Russia in the saber rattling department ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 08:52:10 PM »
So they gave a response:

Thank you for adding your name to this We the People petition and for your concern regarding the men and women who serve in the United States Navy. The Navy's recent announcement about Navy Occupational Specialties has garnered attention from many veterans and supporters like you who cherish naval tradition.

This new classification system, which was produced by a comprehensive review led by the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy and his senior
enlisted leadership, moves toward occupational specialties titles similar to the other armed services. Modernizing this system provides
many benefits within the Navy, such as increased flexibility in training and assignments. It also affords our Sailors opportunities when
transitioning to the civilian workforce by aligning their specialties with civilian occupations.

This Administration believes that providing widely-recognized credentials will improve service members' chances of success in the private sector.
Improving hiring opportunities for veterans remains a high priority for this Administration, embodied in efforts such as the First Lady and Dr. Biden's "Joining Forces" initiative.

Organizational changes that require a cultural shift can cause friction during transition periods, but the President has confidence in the decisions made by U.S. Navy leaders and agrees that the benefits in future years will outweigh growing pains in the next several months. Whether one's Navy career occurred under the former rating structure or today's modernized system, the President maintains his steadfast pride in Sailors who have sacrificed and worked hard to serve with distinction.

:mad: Hopefully there is a more receptive administration come January.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 08:21:56 AM »
Praying to St. Mattis on this one.
AKA Navy Joe