Author Topic: Gander Mountain circling the drain  (Read 7689 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Gander Mountain circling the drain
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 12:01:07 AM »
I didn't even know there was a gander in Tulsa. Multiple Academys, several Dick's and a Bass Pro. Dick's is about useless, only been to one once, in and out in less than 15 minutes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 10:25:21 AM »
Big 5 nearby went out of bidness recently.  Brand new Cabelas went in around the corner from there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 11:03:04 AM »
Dick's just recently expanded into Houston.  I haven't been to one.  Cabela's finally opened a store down here between Houston and Galveston in League City.  It is very nice with a large gun section and actually has some used guns.  It will be a regular stop in the future. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
Dick's just recently expanded into Houston.  I haven't been to one.  Cabela's finally opened a store down here between Houston and Galveston in League City.  It is very nice with a large gun section and actually has some used guns.  It will be a regular stop in the future. 

Dick's hangs on because of their sports stuff.  They'd be in trouble if WalMart ever figured out that selling a good selection of equipment for school team sports would make them dominate the market there.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
Wonder if they will come off their $3400 1903A3 price now. Doubtful.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »
Going out of business signs went up this morning at the Gander Mountain near me.  Stopped by.  Most of the guns were picked over by the time I got there at 2:00.  Ammo picked over. Mags and holsters, too.  Walked out empty handed.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2017, 11:42:17 PM »
Going out of business signs went up this morning at the Gander Mountain near me.  Stopped by.  Most of the guns were picked over by the time I got there at 2:00.  Ammo picked over. Mags and holsters, too.  Walked out empty handed.

It doesn't take long for the vultures to pick over the carcass.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2017, 11:47:20 PM »
I took my daughters and spent a couple of hours trying to find things I could buy them with the gift card.  Ended up with enough to use it up but if I had been spending my own money I wouldn't have bought a thing.  They had lots of stuff out with no price displayed but a handy guide to show you what 10% off of a bunch of different prices might be.  Most other stuff was 10% off except for winter jackets which were 30%.  Guns were still almost all MSRP or higher and had no sales going on.  I might have picked up a used G21 but the price was only okay given the condition and I'd already found some stuff for the kids.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 09:11:48 AM »
And I just found this...

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2017/05/07/gander-mountain-closing-not-so-fast-says-new-owner-marcus-lemonis/101402750/

Long story short, the CEO of Camping World, Marcus Lemonis, jumped on social media to verify that while they now own the stores, the intellectual property, and the trademarks for Gander Mountain, He is not planning to shut down all locations.  The inventory has apparently been sold to a liquidation company through the bankruptcy, hence the sales.

Since Camping World is primarily an RV oriented company, I wonder if the firearms and fishing side of the business will continue...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 09:17:51 AM »

I am still sorely pissed at Dick's. They bought Gallyan's, which was head and shoulders better than them -- better selection overall, a MUCH better selection of firearms, and Gallyan's carried handguns, as well, which Dick's ran away from years ago.

I generally stay out of Dick's and buy elsewhere, unless they're the only choice I have for what I want.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:54 AM »
I didn't even know there was a gander in Tulsa. Multiple Academys, several Dick's and a Bass Pro. Dick's is about useless, only been to one once, in and out in less than 15 minutes.

Down at Tulsa Hills, 71 and south 81st Street area.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 12:52:10 PM »
And I just found this...
He is not planning to shut down all locations.

I don't have an MBA, but doesn't this:
All 126 locations nationwide going out of business

mean all the stores are closing?

From http://www.gandermountain.com/
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
The article I liked indicates that the previous owners and liquidation company posted that, and the new owner is trying now to counter that.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 11:56:35 PM »
I am still sorely pissed at Dick's. They bought Gallyan's, which was head and shoulders better than them -- better selection overall, a MUCH better selection of firearms, and Gallyan's carried handguns, as well, which Dick's ran away from years ago.

I generally stay out of Dick's and buy elsewhere, unless they're the only choice I have for what I want.

This.  Galyan's had everything to include reloading supplies also all at reasonable prices.   Dick's screwed it....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2017, 11:11:38 PM »
Finally almost some deals? Got a spool of super hi speed fishing line for $10, five boxes of .30-06 150gr Fusion for $17.50 each and some Ffg substitute. What used guns are left are almost to reasonable prices. Well, handguns. Mostly kimbers and the new Sig's left behind. Smith, old Sig's, Glocks, all gobbled up. This particular store must have a hard-on for usgi guns, the 30% off price on their eight M-1 carbines runs from $2300 to $2900. Gonna shed a tear when this one finally closes.

I got a screaming deal on a 24 pack of #10 can Mountain House from some Mormon outfit a few months back, came out to $23 per can shipped. At 30% off duck Hill has finally made it to $28 per can.
AKA Navy Joe   

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
Finally almost some deals? Got a spool of super hi speed fishing line for $10, five boxes of .30-06 150gr Fusion for $17.50 each and some Ffg substitute. What used guns are left are almost to reasonable prices. Well, handguns. Mostly kimbers and the new Sig's left behind. Smith, old Sig's, Glocks, all gobbled up. This particular store must have a hard-on for usgi guns, the 30% off price on their eight M-1 carbines runs from $2300 to $2900. Gonna shed a tear when this one finally closes.

I got a screaming deal on a 24 pack of #10 can Mountain House from some Mormon outfit a few months back, came out to $23 per can shipped. At 30% off duck Hill has finally made it to $28 per can.

Great googly moogly!  They are aware people can pretty easily cross shop the market on a phone these days?  I knew they were kinda expensive at the Mountain, but that's stupid overpriced.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
The one south of us had a bunch of no-name 9mm HP for a reasonable price. Worked out well, since I wanted to test out my new gun and magazines.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:23 PM »
Picked up a stainless Ruger American in 30-06 for $287. Waiting for the scopes to go to 40% off to pick up something to stick on top. Any suggestions? My local store still has a bunch of $100-$300 Nikons and Bushnells in stock.
Andy

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2017, 12:29:41 AM »
Get that LGS Nikon.

Might check GM for the ammo though, tons of .30-06 available, seems like a dead cartridge with all the trend chasers. The stuff I got was well better than Midway's price.
AKA Navy Joe   

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »
Went on Saturday to see if I could score a few goodies only to find our store is done. Closed. Finite.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
Went to the local one here, back in the US on leave, that has a Closeout Sale going on. Firearms are 30-50% off. They have a S&W Model 29-2, I think, at 50% off for just over $1,700.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Went to the local one here, back in the US on leave, that has a Closeout Sale going on. Firearms are 30-50% off. They have a S&W Model 29-2, I think, at 50% off for just over $1,700.
So it is intentional company policy to wildly inflate desirable used gun prices. Thought it was just my store.
AKA Navy Joe   

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »
I'd trade all of the GMs in the state just to get one Sportsman's warehouse back.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
Gawds, I could tell you horror stories about Gander (so could Bedlamite)

He walked into the local store, and was looking at a used Ruger Model 1 in .416 Rigby. Was told by the salesdrone that it was a "good deer cartridge"

Same salesdrone, when I brought in my replica Sharps .45-70 to sell, was trying to look it up... under original Remington rolling block

Again, same store... a couple days after I did their inventory Stepdad needed a new strong for his recurve, which I had located in their backroom. Salesdrone told me they didn't have such an animal (then got scared when I told him exactly where it was)
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
Again, same store... a couple days after I did their inventory Stepdad needed a new strong for his recurve...

Cool story, Strongs.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife