Author Topic: Suddenly the routers don't route.  (Read 416 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Suddenly the routers don't route.
« on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:10 AM »
My parents, who just last year were upgraded to FTTU telephone/interwebz service (and out in the friggin boonies, no less) have suddenly begun having problems getting routers to work.  Their system consists of fiber to a breakout box in their garage, then feeds from their into the phone system, and dedicated Ethernet jacks in a couple locations.  All of a sudden their wifi router went dark.  No interwebz.  Shows a connection light but it doesn't pick up an IP address.  I tried another router that I had.  Same thing.  Buuuuutttt... plug in a computer, any computer, and it connects right up.  WTF?

A few seconds before trying detcord I was able to clone Mom's laptop IP address the router picked right up and went humming merrily along.  Only now the wifi from her laptop won't connect.  Every other wireless device in the place, including my phone and laptop, connected right up, so I'm guessing IP clone thing or $&@!! Win 8 thing?  I didn't have time to mess with it so I just left her laptop cabled to the router.  I'll be there again in a couple weeks and want to get it fixed properly.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Suddenly the routers don't route.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »
Y2K lives!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife