Author Topic: Free antivirus?  (Read 416 times)

Chuck Dye

• friend
Free antivirus?
« on: September 01, 2015, 11:19:46 AM »
AVG says free will end soon. who likes what free antivirus for Windows 10?
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Free antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:39:43 AM »
I've been using Avast for quite awhile, no complaints, including since I upgraded to 10. I don't know which one is "the best" these days as it seems to flip around and I haven't looked ilately. Course, I'm not exactly downloading illicit Mexican midget hooker donkey shows or opening attachments so I can fill out the bank form and claim the life savings of my diamond mine owning Nigerian Uncle either, so I'm not generally putting it to extreme tests.

I pair it up with various more specific spyware/malware programs and have had good luck with it. Namely Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, and Iobit Malware Fighter. Only one I leave with active protection up is the Antivirus. I just keep the others on hand to run periodically, if I think there is a problem, or if the AV hits on something I will run the others to make sure it gets everything.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
W10 comes with Windowa Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) by default. Impressively effective for a freebie. Between it and an occasional scan with Malwarebytes and AdAware I've had good luck keeping nasties at bay.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:48:02 PM »
W10 comes with Windowa Defender (formerly Microsoft Security Essentials) by default. Impressively effective for a freebie. Between it and an occasional scan with Malwarebytes and AdAware I've had good luck keeping nasties at bay.

Brad

Ehh... people who've looked under the hood for Security Essentials find it's more of a reporting/collecting tool for Microsoft to design and push patches than it is to protect "you".

Maybe that's changed. I still use it, but because it's better than nothing and has low system performance impact. And then just do my best to clean reactively with ComboFix, ADW, JRT from BleepingComputer, followed by a MalwareBytes scan.
I promise not to duck.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 01:07:28 PM »
I run Avast! because friends who know a lot more about computers than I do recommend it highly. It's been working for me on XP and Win7 -- I haven't yet made the jump to Win10 so I can't report on that. I would give Avast! a look.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 01:12:56 PM »
Ehh... people who've looked under the hood for Security Essentials find it's more of a reporting/collecting tool for Microsoft to design and push patches than it is to protect "you".

Maybe that's changed. I still use it, but because it's better than nothing and has low system performance impact. And then just do my best to clean reactively with ComboFix, ADW, JRT from BleepingComputer, followed by a MalwareBytes scan.

I've stopped using it. Microsoft itself recommends using other antivirus prgs now. I decided to just bite the bullet and pay for Kaspersky, but Avast seems to always make the top five in free antivirus prg reviews.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:08 PM »
Yes, I wouldn't use defender. It might be OK as a supplement but I would have something else for a primary.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.