Author Topic: Back to Global Warming/Climate Change  (Read 706 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Back to Global Warming/Climate Change
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:55:59 AM »
I am unfamiliar with this site, but from the level-headed tone of the article, I assume it would be considered to be a "denier" site. Nonetheless, it makes some good points.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/08/07/failed-prognostications-of-climate-alarm/?cn-reloaded=1
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Back to Global Warming/Climate Change
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 09:00:33 AM »
I don’t read much on the subject any longer myself.

Plus, it’s exhausting arguing with people who confuse models and probability with reality so I rarely engage on the subject.

On occasion though I’ll pop in at https://judithcurry.com/ to see whats the latest news on the subject.

I’ve heard of watts up with that but don’t recall checking it out.

Here is a climate denier paper that covers a lot of what folks need to know. While I’m no fan of polluting the earth, and fossil fuels/petroleum products are the biggest source of pollution, we really don’t have good replacements yet.

http://www.thegwpf.org/content/uploads/2018/02/Groupthink.pdf
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 08:58:14 PM »
The OP article is a good summary of why I became a skeptic pretty soon after hearing about global warming.  Anytime someone starts talking about the end of the world or some great cataclysm, I would think most people would view that suspiciously.  Far too many people saw all the hype and exaggerated claims and didn't read any further or pay attention when people pointed out errors.  I guess it helped that the early 90's was when I first heard Rush Limbaugh and heard a somewhat consistent limited govt message.

I remember when the "temperature increase in Antarctica" was a big deal.  It was quickly pointed out that the "average" temperature used to prove it was completely wrong, but that myth hung around for quite a while and global warming advocates kept talking about it.  

The whole issue has lasted far longer than I would expect.  I figure that was largely because of all the govt funding, media support, and the fact that it was a communist's wet dream of BigGov control and regulation.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
The book is a little old as it came out quite a few years ago.  Trashing the Planet by Dixie Lee Ray.  She debunks a lot of the hysteria on the Wacko Gore Green side.  Had she not passed away, I'm sure she would have countered Algore and his ilk quite well.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 07:17:24 AM »
The book is a little old as it came out quite a few years ago.  Trashing the Planet by Dixie Lee Ray.  She debunks a lot of the hysteria on the Wacko Gore Green side.  Had she not passed away, I'm sure she would have countered Algore and his ilk quite well.

[tinfoil]
How convenient...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
Dr. Ray died in 1994 at age 80.  She was governor of Washington,  Chairman of the AEC, Asst Sect of State for US bureau of oceans, and the Zoology faculty of the U or Washington.  The book is a very illuminating text that counters a lot of the environmental hysteria back then.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »
That makes me curious about what the environmental hysteria was back then.   =)  ...oops.  Misread the date.  Might have to look up her books.  Different perspective 20 years ago, but close to when I started paying attention to issues like that.

I have mentioned this book before.  I am sure there are better ones, but it did a good job of summarizing a lot of the Climate Change claims and initiatives and why they were wrong.  Fairly short and easy to read.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982499620/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »

Grampster thank you for the recommendation.  I found that my local library has it in print and audio formats.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.